Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Anyone have Butterfly Iris (Spuria) ? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48831)

CearaQC January 24th, 2008 08:08 PM

Anyone have Butterfly Iris (Spuria) ?

I'd like to get a hold of some of these!!

*drool*

[img]http://www.rarexoticseeds.com/Iris/Graines_Iris_Spuria_Seeds_Butterfly_Iris[/img]

jiorji January 24th, 2008 08:16 PM

try ebay...yes they do sell bulbs there :D

happycats January 24th, 2008 08:17 PM

OMG they're beautiful :) I'd love to get some of those.

CearaQC January 24th, 2008 08:21 PM

bleh... ebay... don't trust 'em.

happycats January 24th, 2008 08:28 PM

Are you allowed to bring bulbs back on the plane??, My parents are going to Holland in the spring:D

badger January 24th, 2008 08:33 PM

Check these out. They are good for our zone.

[url]http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/search?keywords=Iris&category=&zone=5b[/url]

Looks like the Butterfly Iris wouldn't survive the Quebec winter (unless you dig them up).

[url]http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/newsletters/hortupdate/june05/Dietes.html[/url]

CearaQC January 24th, 2008 10:19 PM

Veseys has some interesting selections...but I gotta say the bulb sizes are very small. We've lost a lot from them and had to call in and get refunds (which they are very generous with by the way). Same thing goes for their live shrubs like the lilacs. We had to replace the ones we ordered twice. And the shrubs are so small it will take 4 years approximately to see any blooms. Veseys is awesome for veggie and flower seeds, but disappointing with bulbs and live plants.

On the Iris I posted, I can get 10 seeds for $2, but dang it would take 3 seasons or more to see blooms, plus they have to be cold stratified, which means a few months sitting in the fridge to simulate winter, or test fate by doing the same thing outdoors.

[quote] Iris spuria hybrids, commonly named Butterfly Iris, are native to Europe, from England to North Iran and into Pakistan depending on the subspecies. It has characteristics similar to Siberian iris, but it is taller 2 to 3 feet, has broader leaves and larger.

Large flowers are borne on a short spike for a few weeks in Summer. The flowers are consisting of 3 sepals and 3 petals. Most common colors are blue-purple to lilac, but additional colors are readily available, including white orange and yellow. Flowers best in hot Summers.You will find the Spuria to be another variety of Iris that will give you excellent cut flowers.

The leaves are broader than on most varieties of Iris. The plant spreads by means of its modified stems, rhizomes, which are located below the soil surface.

Hardiness zones 3-9, (-37°C/-35°F, -5°C/25°F) in Winter. The growing conditions for the Spuria are not that demanding. These do best in full sun with a neutral to slightly alkaline pH and a well drained soil. They prefer a rich soil and plenty of moisture until they are done blooming. After they are finished with their blooming period they should be allowed to dry out as they seem to appreciate this during their resting period.[/quote]

hazelrunpack January 24th, 2008 10:49 PM

They sure are gorgeous, Ceara! I can see why you're drooling. :D And hardy in zone 3! :thumbs up I wonder if they're as easy to care for as Siberian iris? To date, Siberian iris is the only iris I've managed to keep alive. :rolleyes: hazel needs something foolproof. :p

badger January 25th, 2008 01:19 AM

Whoops. I have ordered seeds from Vesey's but never plants or bulbs, thanks for the heads up. My veggies are to die for but I have no luck with flowers.

CearaQC January 25th, 2008 10:37 AM

It is not my intention to say anything bad about Veseys, for we always order our veggie seeds from them and the seeds are always excellent quality. Plus their customer service is great and the people there are always super nice in my experience.

Hmmm Hazel what zone are you in? 4 or 5?

I find the plain bearded iris almost indestructible!!

Long story short... hubby and I met a stranger at the local garden center one autumn a couple of years ago. We didn't know him from Adam and he sees that we're speaking English and comes up to say that he has tons of Iris that he dug up and no one was wanting them and they would end up ruined.

So I took a chance and said we'd take them.

Well there was definitely NOT a ton, and I got a plastic grocery bag with about 20 rhizomes in it. Most were mushy, misshapen, and in general not good health at all.

Decided to plant them anyway that fall, let them sit over winter and see what would happen. Didn't fertilize at all, only took up sod, removed rocks and put the rhizomes in the ground. Next spring, got leaves, but no flowers. But the next season (which was summer 2007), we got this:

[IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/Ceara_QC/purpleiris190cw.jpg[/IMG]

Now if that isn't hardy, I don't know what is.

hazelrunpack January 25th, 2008 02:39 PM

I [I]love[/I] irises! :cloud9: Your 'rescues' always seem to do good, Ceara! :D

We're solidly in zone 3...though we creep toward 4 in an exceptionally warm winter. All the irises I've ever planted, except for the Siberian iris at our old house, blasted. :shrug: Maybe the rhizomes rotted? Or is there a worm that would eat them? I just don't have good luck with plants.

In my book, 'hardy' means 'hazel-proof'! :laughing:

I actually have better luck with native perennials, so maybe I'm just putting cultivated plants in the wrong type of soil? :shrug: sigh...clueless. :D

Winston January 26th, 2008 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
CearaQC is this the Iris you mentioned..I cant remember this one? I love your pictures of the Iris! They look very healthy..

Winston January 26th, 2008 10:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Seeing flower pictures has made me want for spring!!! Here are a some garden pics..In the one picture I love the orange azalia..picture isnt as nice as in person.

Cindy

CearaQC January 26th, 2008 11:06 AM

Winston, that looks like a Bearded to me. :shrug: But is it ever beautiful! Wanna trade a rhizome of my purple with one of yours? I'd like to match that one up with my solid baby pink Bearded to try for some seeds. Flower sex! :laughing:

My purple ones are going to have to be separated after they bloom this year because they are growing so fast. That one summer (2006) they didn't bloom, all the rhizomes multiplied and got fat.

I also have tons of Stella d'Oro continuous daylily, they make lots of seeds. Just think... someone nearby was going to throw them in the garbage! And I "rescued" them.

:D

Oh oh is that a white Bleeding Heart? *drool*

Nice Clematis! We have a purple Jack mani here that belongs to sister-in-law but it's not doing anywhere as good as yours! You have the magic touch. ;)

Looks like you have some nice Geraniums there, and some Lupin. What color is the Lupin?

Your Geranium looks the same color as one I got in a trade from the same guy that gave me the Iris. I gave him a bunch of 'Lollypop' Asiatic lily bulbs. I think he gave me 3 different Geranium. They are nice but take up lots of room. House down the road from us has the same Geranium around their mailbox and it frames it so well.

Yellow Viola (Pansy) there too? Lovely!