Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Siberian Husky Info (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24927)

Cricket March 17th, 2006 08:55 PM

Siberian Husky Info

I'm wondering if there are any die hard Siberian Husky people out there?

A little history - I recently had my 2 year old fixed male Siberian Husky pass away & have realized that I can't live without another one. I mentioned to a friend that because of the void this has left in my life & my BF's that we have talked to the breeder that we had bought him from & have spoke for a female - do to the fact that I loved my baby so much I didn't want to feel like I was trying to replace him is why we have decided to go with a female. Now this friend mentioned that female's are alot harder to train & are not as smart I'm wondering if any one who has raised both sex's has found this? I realize that each dog is unique like human's but thought there might be someone here would could speak from personal experience?

Thanks for any info.

BMDLuver March 17th, 2006 09:13 PM

Husky's are hard to train period... sex of dog makes no difference... pick the mildest tempered puppy of the litter... if looking for a female then remove all males from the litter then choose the female after spending time with all the females.

Cricket March 17th, 2006 09:49 PM

I guess what I'm really curious about is he had such a unique personality I'm wondering if that is a typical husky trait?

As for training him - he was great to house train - he only ever had 2 accidents & except for at various times attacking each one of the couch cushions was really good. 90% of the time he was more behaved & had more manners then a few people's kids that I know & even the parents commented on that - ha ha.

Prin March 18th, 2006 12:47 AM

Every dog is different. IMO, most of it is individual personality and not breed. And in my experience, the females were easier to train than males... But that can vary too.

huskypup March 18th, 2006 07:48 AM

Hi all

I have had huskies all of my adult years, my first being Shasta, a very sweet silver/white female, she passed away due to cancer, I knew I wanted another huskie but not one who resembled her, we went for a male white, I already had a male dog, a german shepherd/whippet cross (strange one), we were lucky we had no dominance issues, Freeway the cross was the boss, he made sure Lucca knew it straight away, we did the normal things of feeding Freeway first, letting him go through doors after us, then Lucca, we also had Lucca neutered at 4 months, as Freeway was alot older than Lucca, we decided to get another husky to keep Lucca amused when Freeway couldn't be bothered, we then got Mia a black/white, trsut me she is the most intelligent dog I have ever met, but also has the sweetest personality, she opens all the door, cupboards, fridge, dishwasher (so she can look out of the kitchen window by standing on the open door).

Huskies are hard to train but we have not had a problem mixing either male/male or male/female.

Cricket March 18th, 2006 10:59 AM

Thank you Husky Pup for the information. My boy was a red/white with one blue eye & one brown with just the best personality & so much of it. I guess you could say we have put in an order with our breeder - a female - with blue eyes but that I don't want another red yet - I know that at time's I'll compare but I think with a baby having some many differences that it won't happen as much. But then again I'll talking alot a head of time too because the mother hasn't even been bred yet - ha ha - she might have puppies & I'll see them & fall in love all over again with a little red boy - well time will tell.

Husky Pup - I would really like to see some pic's of your angels.

huskypup March 19th, 2006 04:25 PM

Hi Cricket

Ive been trying to upload my photo's, try this link it should work!!

[url]http://community.webshots.com/user/huskiepup[/url]

huskypup

rainbow March 19th, 2006 05:27 PM

Your Mia looks just like my Logan who is now 16 months old. He`s the third Siberian Husky we`ve had. The other two lived to 12 1/2....they were born 6 months apart and died 6 months apart and they both will always have a special place in my heart. The male was a black & white with blue eyes and the female was red & white with one blue eye and one hazel eye. Logan is a black & white blue eyed boy.

Huskies are a very intelligent animal and easy to train as long as they know you are the leader. They can be stubborn at times but they`re just trying to test you. You always have to be consistant with them and always be gentle but firm. All three of my huskies had/have different personalities.:pawprint:

Cricket March 20th, 2006 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rainbow - do you have any pictures of your babies. Your girl sounds alot like what my Taz looked like - this is one of the last pictures that I have of him - he was born 12/25/04 & passed away 2/26/06.:sad: He was our only one & even though we are talking about another one - I just don't think that I'm ready yet.

I know with Taz that we had some things that were hard from him to learn but other things it was just amazing how fast he learnt them - house training - he only had 2 accidents. The funny thing with him was when my BF was out of town - if he tried to wake me up & a lick just wouldn't do it - he would go & pee in the bathtub & then he learnt that if he jumped on me that I would always get up - ha ha.

rainbow March 20th, 2006 01:10 PM

Hi Cricket - No, unfortuneately I don`t, but Summer looked exactly like your Taz. What happened to Taz as you didn`t have him long?

I only waited three months until I got my newest one, Logan. And then six months later we got our lab, Chase (he`s now 9 mo.).

I bet you can hardly wait until you get your new one and IMO it doesn`t matter if they`re male or female for training. Our first male was very laid back (for a Husky!) but with a stubborn streak, our female was more dominate than him and very loveable but the male was the boss (after me of course!). Our male now is dominant and a little stubborn at times but he listens well. He`s always trying to test me but he knows when to stop. He was doing really well until we got the lab and then he thought he could get away with all the puppy behaviour again. :evil: :D

Cricket March 20th, 2006 03:02 PM

Your male sounds alot like what Taz was like - he was good most of the time but when he was bad he was nasty - ha ha. He'd help me plant flowers all day in the flower bed in the back yard & then if he figured that I'd done something to him - like left him outside longer then he figured he needed to be - he'd dug one up & to the point that there was only a hole - you couldn't even find a leaf - ha ha!!

My fiance took him for a run in the country & they ran into a porcupine. We rushed him to the vet & after it was all over with because it was sunday we were able to bring him home because there wasn't going to be anyone there to look after him. Two hours after we got home & he was starting to come around, he was laying on his blanket in the living room in my lap & let out a soft cry, threw his head & stopped breathing. We started CPR & rushed him back to the vet but they were unable to bring him back. The vet told us that it was more then likely due to a blood clot caused from all of the medication that they had used on him to keep him under due to the large amount of quills that he had. It is still very fresh & painful & right now I'm not really ready for another one - he was an only child so it's been a big loss.

phoenix March 20th, 2006 03:17 PM

Cricket I'm very sorry to hear that. Sounds like Taz had a great life with you though, I'm sure he was a very happy dog.
Sometimes having a new dog around will help ease the loss, even if you can't (and don't want to) forget.

rainbow March 20th, 2006 04:46 PM

Cricket, I`m so sorry to hear how you lost Taz...that must have been totally heartbreaking. I know the pain you`re going through as my dogs have been my only children.

I agree with Phoenix about "easing the loss" though. I still cry now and again thinking about my first two as I was so attached to them. I got them cremated and their remains are on the nightstand beside my bed. But Logan definitely keeps me occupied during the day. Between him and Chase, I go nuts sometimes.:D

Let us know when you get your new baby.

Cricket March 20th, 2006 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Phoenix / Rainbow - thank you both very much for all the information & everything.

Heartbreaking is exactly the term that I'd use - I still have a problem believing that it actually happened & that he's gone - in a way it would have been easier if he'd have been hit by a vehicle & we'd have gone to the vet with things touch & go. Neither my fiance or myself thought past - getting him to the vet & getting professional help - he had it pretty bad so it wasn't a case of just pulling 10 or 12 quills - 3 of us worked on him for almost an hour.

With it only having been 3 weeks I can honestly say that I have cried every day some days alot more then just once!

We have spoke for a female husky from the breeder that we got Taz from & maybe when the mother is bred (she's not expecting yet) & the puppies are here I'll be ready then in 4 or 5 months & puppy bum & teething & training will be something that I'll want to look forward to again.

Well that & cute pictures like this again!!;) I just love this picture of my :angel:

phoenix March 20th, 2006 06:12 PM

oh so sweet **tears**
thankfully you have found pets.ca, very addictive and it will keep you very busy.
I lost my best friend (a horse)... it will be a year April... (his name is my user name)- I'm still not over it. I know how you feel and lots of people here do as well. They are not just animals. They are family.:grouphug:

Cricket March 20th, 2006 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just love that picture of him - it was from the first night that we brought him home - he was just so dang sweet & had such attitude too - he was always grumpy in the morning & then I'd go home at lunch & he'd meet me with a smile & yawn & a look like - oh mom I just got up - WHERE did the morning go & oh boy it's lunch!! This is one that a friend that has an art gallery is doing up for us for the wall with his collar & tags - I ordered him a doggie angel to put with his tags so I'm waiting on that. We had him cremated & he's back & in the living room to be close to us.

Sorry the pic's are so big but I don't know how to make them smaller.

I only found this web page after he was gone & it has helped to find others who understand - alot of people don't get it!

I've lost other animals in the past but none of them affected me like this has.

I'm sorry for your loss - I lost my first horse (Ginger) after I'd had him 15 years - I still remember the first day he arrived & the day that he left & it's been 10 years now.

Cricket March 20th, 2006 07:48 PM

HuskyPup - thank you for a chance to look at your babies - I wasn't able to get into the link at work - guess they are expecting people to work there!!!!

The couple of Mia sitting on her rump - is that something that you've noticed with all of your dogs? I'm curious because Taz would sit at the top of the stairs on the deck like that or really anywhere that he parked it. I used to think it was funny because he butt was so fat that he's kind of slide over to the one side all the time.

Astrid March 21st, 2006 04:46 AM

Siberian Husky Info

Hi - reading your e-mail made me register. I have a beautiful almost 4 year old Siberian Husky, all white with blue eyes. He is incredibly intelligent, energetic, sweet and almost always obedient. My husband has had dogs all his life and when his previous dog and first Husky died, he vowed to stick with that breed. I can only agree. I wanted to urge you to take a look at the dog adoption page - there is a beautiful male Husky who desperately needs a home. I wish I could take him myself - unfortunately I'm not in the country at the moment.

Cricket March 21st, 2006 09:27 AM

Astrid - thank you for the information - do you have an pic's of your babies?

I will take a look when I'm not at work - ha ha! I had contacted my local SPCA but at the time they had parvo & since then have not taken any dogs in. I'm actually in Alberta so adopting a dog from out east would be out of the question but in just quickly taking a look I've seen that there are dogs that are around 3 to 4 hours either way of me.

Astrid March 21st, 2006 03:32 PM

Here is a picture

1 Attachment(s)
Good luck to you in finding a new best friend. Attached is a picture of mine (hope it works).

Astrid

Cricket March 21st, 2006 10:35 PM

Astrid - what a beauty you have.:thumbs up

Prin March 22nd, 2006 02:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What a beautiful doggy! Is it a male or female? Could be a good boyfriend for Jemma if it's a male...:D (she's a lab husky mix) They'd be like yin and yang.:D

Cricket March 22nd, 2006 08:49 AM

Prin - what a sweet picture - I've seen a few of your angels & they sure seem to love the camera - must be due to a lot of practice!!;)

Astrid March 22nd, 2006 03:17 PM

Jukki

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the compliments. Jukki is a handsome boy - almost 4 years old, very loving and playful. I agree he'd make a great boyfriend for your beautiful Jemma. Where does she (you) live?

CyberKitten March 22nd, 2006 04:05 PM

My first dog - well as a child, not my 1st dog as an adult - was a Siberian Husky who WAS hit by a car and it was a traumatic experience for me - I was maybe 6 or so but I recall it like it was yesterday!! He was a beautiful, kind dog who put up with three children!! (Supervised of course tho) - and he was good at herding us too, lol

We had a ceremony and buried him in our then back yard. My mom vowed to never get another dog!! She was not a dog person and even she cried - she said that was it!!

He was well trained but I cannot recall anything about the training. That must've been my parents' domain but he was the 1st dog I loved wholeheatedly and so there is a special place in my heart for him. We even named the next dog we did get years later - a fox terrer - after him. (and she was a female, but it was one of those gender neutral names).

I am so very sorry for your loss Cricket!

Prin March 22nd, 2006 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=Astrid]Thanks for the compliments. Jukki is a handsome boy - almost 4 years old, very loving and playful. I agree he'd make a great boyfriend for your beautiful Jemma. Where does she (you) live?[/QUOTE]
We're just north of Montreal... ooh lala!:D

[QUOTE=Cricket]Prin - what a sweet picture - I've seen a few of your angels & they sure seem to love the camera - must be due to a lot of practice!![/QUOTE]Yeah, I take a few pics... :o It's not that I post too many, it's that others post too few.:D

Cricket March 23rd, 2006 09:27 AM

Prin - ha ha - yes you are right my feeling exactly - how can you talk about the love of your life if people don't see a bit of them to relate!! Each animal has it's own unique facial expressions.

Please keep the pictures coming - it's nice to see some well loved animals that know they are loved!:thumbs up

Astrid March 23rd, 2006 03:40 PM

Huskies

Prin - we have to set up a (play) date for these two when we've arrived in Montreal. Let's keep in touch.

Cricket - I feel bad that your posting has turned into a dating service for our dogs - please don't hold it against us. It breaks my heart to look at the pictures of your Taz - what a gorgeous dog.

Astrid March 23rd, 2006 03:40 PM

Huskies

Prin - we have to set up a (play) date for these two when we've arrived in Montreal. Let's keep in touch.

Cricket - I feel bad that your posting has turned into a dating service for our dogs - please don't hold it against us. It breaks my heart to look at the pictures of your Taz - what a gorgeous dog.

AliSam March 23rd, 2006 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=rainbow]Huskies are a very intelligent animal and easy to train as long as they know you are the leader. They can be stubborn at times but they`re just trying to test you. You always have to be consistant with them and always be gentle but firm. All three of my huskies had/have different personalities.:pawprint:[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]I couldn't have said it better myself. I had a black and white, blue eyed female husky from 1986-2000. She was the most stubborn dog I have ever had, but we found if we were firm she would listen.[/COLOR]