Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet free photography (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   My doves and squirrells... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47723)

krdahmer December 22nd, 2007 11:04 AM

My doves and squirrells...

3 Attachment(s)
These guys are entertainment for the cats almost daily... except the other day when there was some sort of hawk ON the squirrell's nest eating one of them... I got so mad, I went out and threw little sticks at the darn thing. Beautiful bird, but it's not eating my squirrells right in front of me... he finally flew off with it. :sad: These are from a few days later when they finally ventured out to eat...

krdahmer December 22nd, 2007 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And I gotta have one of the squirrell inspectors of course!!!

hazelrunpack December 22nd, 2007 02:44 PM

Inspectors to ensure proper squirrelliness! :thumbs up The Inspectors do look like they really enjoy their work! :D

14+kitties December 22nd, 2007 03:24 PM

I love mourning doves. So peaceful to watch and the noise they make when they take off.............

chico2 December 22nd, 2007 05:27 PM

Dahmer love your pics,I have soo many Mourningdoves,at night they look like ornaments in the tree,one day I counted 32 in one tree.
I also had 42 Pigeons waiting for feed,hubbie says they'll eat up our pension:yell:
You know I feed the Squirrels and I too have Hawks every day,but have yet to see one take a Squirrel,I did not think they would,the Squirrels freeze in place when the Hawk is here.
Once I had a Hawk on my pool-fence with a Pigeon struggling in his talons,I too tried to get the Hawk to drop him,but instead he flew away with the Pigeon,it's brutal to see and I cried,but it is the way of nature,the beautiful Hawks have to eat.

krdahmer December 24th, 2007 12:24 AM

Ya I know... this one though was perched right ON the squirrell nest... right after that nasty storm so all the squirrells no doubt were trapped inside, it may have been a smaller bird that he was actually eating, I just didn't want to have to see it first thing in the morning!:sad:

As for those inspectors, they all love to sit in either the office here or my bedroom, big windows that both face the feeders. They LOVE the mourning doves, which also happen to be my favorites too. I wish we got pidgeons I like those too. I have those nyger seed socks out and get a lot of finches, although I am kinda surprised that they are still here, I thought they flew south:shrug:. Mostly squirrells and doves though. And I also love the coos and noises they make, and I love the subtle colours.

TeriM December 24th, 2007 02:25 AM

I love that inspector picture :laughing:. My cats are also much more fascinated when bigger birds come by the feeder. They will watch the small guys (finches etc) but when a big bird comes they get all excited and chatter.

rainbow December 24th, 2007 03:36 AM

I love the Squirrly Inspectors. :lovestruck: :D

chico2 December 24th, 2007 08:34 AM

Yes,that picture is one for the books,absolutely adorable,they even have their tails the same way:cloud9:

Squirrels are solitary animals,but in the winter many can huddle together in one nest to keep warm and I am sure it's quiet possible a large Hawk could take one,I just have never seen it and don't want too:sad: