Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Carbohydrate substitutes - any suggestions? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66134)

JanM October 10th, 2009 09:15 PM

Carbohydrate substitutes - any suggestions?

Bobby has now stopped digesting potatoes - he can no longer eat rice either. Any suggestions for what carbs he might be able to eat?

He can no longer digest beef so he is on chicken now. His meal was cooked chicken, broccoli and potato.

hazelrunpack October 10th, 2009 09:18 PM

How about elbow macaroni?

JanM October 10th, 2009 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;835418]How about elbow macaroni?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Hazel - I'll look into that one.

TeriM October 10th, 2009 09:56 PM

What about sweet potatoes, they digest very differently then regular potatoes and are very nutricious. Oatmeal is also a good one that I often use when my dogs have upset tummies as they seem to digest it much easier then rice.

JanM October 11th, 2009 09:10 AM

[QUOTE=TeriM;835424]What about sweet potatoes, they digest very differently then regular potatoes and are very nutricious. Oatmeal is also a good one that I often use when my dogs have upset tummies as they seem to digest it much easier then rice.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Teri but I've tried the sweet potatoes and he can't digest them either. They also have too much sugar. He can't handle Oatmeal either - tried that one too!

Love4himies October 11th, 2009 09:21 AM

I am not too familiar with dog nutrition, but do they need carbs or can they get their energy from meat protein and fat like cats?

Masha October 11th, 2009 10:43 AM

Dogs don't really need carbs.... did u try a raw diet? Its really easier then it seems. i was terrified of it at first but once u get the hang of it, it so easy.

JanM October 11th, 2009 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=Masha;835529]Dogs don't really need carbs.... did u try a raw diet? Its really easier then it seems. i was terrified of it at first but once u get the hang of it, it so easy.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've tried raw and he can't handle it.

JanM October 11th, 2009 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=Love4himies;835515]I am not too familiar with dog nutrition, but do they need carbs or can they get their energy from meat protein and fat like cats?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm - worth looking into for sure. I am going on the vet's comment that he needs carbs but it's worth looking into more carefully - I hadn't even considered that!

kandy October 12th, 2009 01:13 PM

Dogs don't really need carbs themselves, and as long as they are getting the vitamins and minerals they need, you should be able to feed a meat/veggie combination with no problems.

JanM October 12th, 2009 04:00 PM

[QUOTE=kandy;836054]Dogs don't really need carbs themselves, and as long as they are getting the vitamins and minerals they need, you should be able to feed a meat/veggie combination with no problems.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the insight, Kandy - It is definitely worth looking into! I now have some time because I've found a food (dehydrated) that he is able to digest so I'll be checking up on this and the other suggestions here too!

Love4himies October 13th, 2009 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=JanM;835537]Hmmm - worth looking into for sure. I am going on the vet's comment that he needs carbs but it's worth looking into more carefully - I hadn't even considered that![/QUOTE]

Merlin's Hope has a huge knowledge base on canine nutrition, perhaps a quick PM to her to get some ideas.

Hope you find something that he can tolerate.

JanM October 13th, 2009 09:44 AM

[QUOTE=Love4himies;836308]Merlin's Hope has a huge knowledge base on canine nutrition, perhaps a quick PM to her to get some ideas.

Hope you find something that he can tolerate.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I'll give it a shot!

MerlinsHope October 13th, 2009 10:13 AM

Jan

Hi Jan

I did get your message and asked you to join rawchow.net - hopefully you will and when you do, please offer an expluiqative on why your dogs are eating rice in the first place.

Let me know if there are underlying medical reasons that are substantiating why you are giving this type of food to being with.

Essentially I've stopped participating in these forums because I don't particularly accept this forum's policy, ( or lack thereof), regarding Rescues and adoption postings.

Thanks
MM

rainbow October 25th, 2009 01:30 AM

[B]Jan,[/B] I just found this thread ....how is Bobby doing? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

JanM October 25th, 2009 08:44 AM

[QUOTE=rainbow;839233][B]Jan,[/B] I just found this thread ....how is Bobby doing? :fingerscr :goodvibes:[/QUOTE]

Right now he is doing great! He is on NRG Chicken with a live algae as a supplement and so far, so good!

I had posed the carbohydrate question just in case the NRG didn't agree with him - but it does! He is doing so well actually that I sometimes have to run to catch up to him - which, for him, is quite an exciting thing..

Thanks for your good vibes..

rainbow October 25th, 2009 02:06 PM

YAY for Bobby :highfive: .....I'm glad that you've finally found something that he can digest. :thumbs up

So now that he's got his energy back, I think it's time for some new pics of him and Amber enjoying those beautiful scenic walks you go on. :cloud9:

JanM October 25th, 2009 04:30 PM

[QUOTE=rainbow;839283]YAY for Bobby :highfive: .....I'm glad that you've finally found something that he can digest. :thumbs up

So now that he's got his energy back, I think it's time for some new pics of him and Amber enjoying those beautiful scenic walks you go on. :cloud9:[/QUOTE]

OK - I'll charge up my camera battery - but I'll have to wait for some nicer weather - rain, rain, rain - I can honestly say my head is in the clouds today :laughing: