Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Recipes for humans (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Chocolate Grand Marnier Mousse (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30570)

Skryker September 10th, 2006 06:13 PM

Chocolate Grand Marnier Mousse

Chocolate Grand Marnier Mousse
[B]Warning! Contains raw egg whites. Only use if you are sure of your eggs, and keep well chilled. Use quickly.[/B]

1/4 c Sugar
2-4 tb Grand Marnier or other liquer
4 oz Chocolate
2 tb Whipping Cream
2 lg Egg Whites, Beaten
2 c Whipped Cream

1. Cook over low heat the sugar and liquor until dissolved, but
not brown.
2. Melt the chocolate.
3. After the chocolate is melted, stir in the 2 tablespoons of
whipping cream.
4. Add the syrup to the melted chocolate and stir until smooth.
5. When the mixture is cool, but not chilled, fold into the 2 beaten
egg whites. The egg whites need to be beaten stiffly.
6. Fold in everything very gently to the cups whipped cream.
7. Chill in sherbet glasses for 2-3 hours prior to serving or put gently into a premade chocolate cookie pie crust and chill.

I'm doing this from memory since I can't find the actual recipe. The only thing I'm not totally sure of is the whipped cream. I honestly can't remember if it's 2 cups of whipping cream (which would be 4 cups of whipped cream) or 2 cups of whipped cream. I *think* it's 1 cup of whipping cream that makes 2 cups of whipped cream. If it's 4 cups of whipped cream, you'll get extra chocolately mousse, I guess.

Prin September 10th, 2006 06:23 PM

How can you be sure of your eggs? :o

jesse's mommy September 10th, 2006 06:26 PM

What do you mean? I'm a little confused. If you whisk egg whites long enough they get real "fluffy" and foam-like.

Prin September 10th, 2006 06:27 PM

Yeah, but some eggs have salmonelly in them, but I don't know how you know if they do or not. Do some cartons say?

Skryker September 10th, 2006 06:27 PM

That's a good question. :D I was typing away at a warning, and couldn't think of a better way to put that. Only use trusted eggs? Eggs from a trusted source? Eggs from trustworthy chickens? That's a badly worded warning.

But-"Warning. Contains raw eggs. Could give you Salmonella." doesn't seem very appetizing, either.:o

Prin September 10th, 2006 06:29 PM

I think it's rarer in Canada than the US, but my man eats cake batter all the time and never gets sick (I'm still not brave enough. :shrug: )

Skryker September 10th, 2006 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=Prin]Yeah, but some eggs have salmonelly in them, but I don't know how you know if they do or not. Do some cartons say?[/QUOTE]

Nope. You just have to take your chances, I guess. I've never had a problem with it, but I wouldn't use an egg that had broken egg on the shell, just in case. You know, sometimes when you check your carton, there's icky raw egg on some of the eggs where there has been a broken egg. Yuck! I don't buy those cartons.

jesse's mommy September 10th, 2006 06:31 PM

I love cake batter, cookie dough, and brownie mix. Yum. :thumbs up

Prin September 10th, 2006 06:32 PM

And I guess if the eggs are fresher, there'll be less salmonella than if you had them in the fridge for a month already.:shrug:

Skryker September 10th, 2006 06:36 PM

Probably. I think you're right about it being rarer in Canada. Supermarket eggs have probably been somehow washed before shipping, too. :shrug: I've had Salmonella before, but never from anything raw batterish or from eggs. It's been from handling a cat that had Salmonella (which she got from the vet's office), and from raw chicken contamination thanks to a room-mate who was really careless with stuff in the fridge.

jesse's mommy September 10th, 2006 06:36 PM

I don't really keep eggs on hand here. I just buy them when I need them and I'll usually only buy 1/2 dozen at a time. Sometimes I can find a package of four.

Prin September 10th, 2006 06:37 PM

Me neither and I was raised on cookie dough.:shrug:

Skryker September 10th, 2006 06:40 PM

Then you're probably pretty safe, since the eggs would be very fresh. I just remember that there was a big scare about raw eggs about 10 years ago, and ever since then, there's always warnings about raw eggs. And I would feel terrible if anyone got Salmonella from following my recipe. It's a very nasty thing, Salmonella.

jesse's mommy September 10th, 2006 06:44 PM

[QUOTE=Skryker] And I would feel terrible if anyone got Salmonella from following my recipe. It's a very nasty thing, Salmonella.[/QUOTE]

I think that was pretty good for your disclaimer. :thumbs up Should we make a poll? :D

Byrd September 10th, 2006 06:53 PM

Salmonella, yup, been there done that, not fun! But not from eggs, from undercooked shrimp.

This sounds yummy, but unfortunately I'm not much of a baker anymore. We should have a pets.ca BBQ. :thumbs up

Skryker September 11th, 2006 05:04 AM

That's the beauty of this one, Byrd. No baking required! It doesn't take very long to make, but it sure looks impressive and tastes fabulous. It's also pretty versatile. I've made it with rum, whiskey (then it's Bailey's mousse), Grand Marnier, Creme de Menthe, dark chocolate, milk chocolate-whatever. It's all good. If you freeze it, it's super decadent ice cream.

As for a bbq, where would we have it? We need technodoll to set up a virtual potluck!:thumbs up All the food, none of the calories. :D

Prin September 11th, 2006 01:31 PM

Yeah, but then techno would bring all the virtual food and might get resentful. :D

Skryker September 11th, 2006 01:38 PM

Hee hee1 I never thought of that-she'd be doing all the work! At least there wouldn't be any dishes or clean up. :cool:

Prin September 11th, 2006 02:08 PM

Yes there would be. That would be our contribution.;)

meb999 September 11th, 2006 07:39 PM

Thanks for the recipe Skryker! mmmmmmmmmmm :p