Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Kitten health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Black cat neutered and rabies vac. now excessive weight loss and ripping out hair (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=80295)

katelyn296 February 23rd, 2012 12:02 PM

Black cat neutered and rabies vac. now excessive weight loss and ripping out hair

ok, so.. My mom brought our seemingly healthy, flea-less cat baxter into our vet to be neutered and to receive the rabies vac. approx. 10 days after the neuter and vac. he started to rip out the hair on his back, he's missing a 3 inch long by 1 inch wide strip of hair down his back. he has lost a significant amount of weight since his surgery and his once shiny coat had turned to a dull flea infested coat. The vet gave my mom the treatment free of charge. This has also occurred with a few of his siblings brought to the same vet. could this be a result of the rabies vaccine or even possibly the anesthesia? The vet said they use Propofol. I've been Google-ing for hours now and have found pretty much nothing but a few scary outcomes. Please help! :shrug:

Rgeurts February 23rd, 2012 12:22 PM

Hi Katelyn, and welcome :)

As a few of us here already know firsthand that Vaccines can lead to very serious issues. Many animals, both cats and dogs alike, have bad reactions. My boy has many serious health issues (immune mediated diseases, recovered from Meningoencephalitis, grand mal seizures and other issues) and the majority are being attributed to Vaccinosis. If you search Vaccinosis, you will find many websites and links with information and lists of symptoms to watch for. If you have access to a Holisitic Veternarian, I would be seeking one out, but that's me :)

If it is Vaccinosis, a Holisitic Vet can help greatly by detoxifying your kitty. The longer the wait, the harder it is to detoxify. Our boy should have passed when he was a baby, but a Holistic vet saved his life. He will be 2 yrs old on Sunday :)

I hope everything turns out ok! Good luck to you and your kitty!! Please let us know how he's doing :grouphug:

Love4himies February 23rd, 2012 01:40 PM

Am I reading correctly that your cat did indeed have fleas when he was licking his fur out (possibly caught from the vet visit)?

Do you know if he currently, 100% free of fleas?

My first thought is a hypersensitivity to fleas (allergy).

After the rabies vaccine, did your kitty develop a lump at the injection site?

Is your cat still eating, but loosing weight, or has your cat stopped eating? Did the vet do blood work before surgery, or when you took him back?

Longblades February 23rd, 2012 07:40 PM

I can't speak to the symptoms you describe, especially ripping out his hair but some thoughts are: Had he been given a flea treatment recently by yourselves and was possibly overdosed when the Vets gave him another? By the way, it was most irresponsible of your Vet to give your cat any kind of treatment without your permission. Whether it was an overdose or not. Perhaps I have made an erroneous assumption? Did your mother know he was going to give a flea treatment?

If he got flea treatment, rabies and other vaccinations all at the same time AND was neutered (sedation/anesthesia) that all could have been too much for his system. I have to separate rabies from other vacc. with two of my cats but their symptoms before I knew that were prolonged lethargy. But your cat could be reacting differently.

Have you told the Vet what is going on? I think you need to, probably only the Vet knows exactly what happened when your cat was in. It does sound like your poor boy needs a Vet visit anyway, that's not right and must be awfully distressing for him.

sandyrivers March 14th, 2012 10:21 PM

i agree

Hi,

I agree with Longblades, your cat should be examined by a vet, though I am not sure I would bring my cat back to this same vet he was taken to in the first place, since so many problems happened since his visit there...
I would bring him to another vet, and explain the situation to the new vet.

Best of luck with this situation

sandyrivers