Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   I just heard this ruckus.. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=77386)

chico2 June 11th, 2011 04:57 PM

I just heard this ruckus..

The black-birds and all the other birds were frantic,I noticed the big tabby from 2 houses up was under my feeders with a baby Grackler in his mouth.
Of course,having always had cats,I know if they are roaming they'll kill birds,but OMG it upset me..:(
My cats don't have a chance to get a bird,since we are outside with them..making sure that does not happen.
so :rip:little baby-bird

Love4himies June 11th, 2011 06:14 PM

Awwww, chico :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:. It is so upsetting to see what nature has intended, sometimes it makes me sick to my stomach. :( :grouphug:

Goldfields June 12th, 2011 03:52 AM

That's a bit rude it being in your place killing your birds, right where you can see it, chico, are you going to have some words with its owner?

chico2 June 12th, 2011 08:06 AM

GF,there is no law against letting your cats roam,so not much I can do,we just shoo him away,he is a really beautiful cat...
He is let out in the weekends,the rest of the week he's inside.
Once the owner thought she'd lost him and he was here,I brought him back to her,but now she's decided to let him roam.
I am worried about little Chippie,too fast for my cats,but this young cat is very fast.:(

hazelrunpack June 12th, 2011 09:22 AM

Such a shame, chico. :( :grouphug: Maybe if kitty leaves enough sad little carcasses at his owner's door, she'll wise up and keep him inside. :pray:

Goldfields June 12th, 2011 11:31 AM

Sort of spoils things for you, Chico, because I know you love to feed the birds. Cats are great hunters and if he knows birds come to your feeder you'll have trouble keeping him away. I know our ginger cat has got it all worked out, he lies under the sheep trough, just waiting for birds to come and have a drink. By the way, in some places here cats are not allowed to roam at all, and must be locked up at night.

krdahmer June 12th, 2011 11:50 AM

:(:rip: baby bird...

chico2 June 12th, 2011 04:34 PM

The stupid thing is,I felt violated,as if it was my very own bird.
I am pretty sure he delivered it to his owner:thumbs up

Love4himies June 12th, 2011 06:05 PM

Chico, can your hubby make tiny boxes that the chippie can escape to if that cat ever comes into your yard??? All they need is about 1.5 x 1.5 inch hole. My chippies just run into the brush to escape the kitties. If you place the boxes next to where the chippies feed, they will have a safe place to run into should that cat come back.

Tundra_Queen June 12th, 2011 10:22 PM

chico...that is so sad. Could u ask the owner of the cat to put a collar with a bell on it?

Here cats are not allowed to roam or not suppose to be allowed to roam.

chico2 June 13th, 2011 08:05 AM

L4H,Chippie has several safe spots,his "home"is on the other side of the back-fence,under the shed belonging to Baileys owner and that's only a couple of feet away from where Chippie feeds.
I don't have a huge open space like you,there are hedges,trees etc where he can hide.
The cat was not here yesterday,maybe he gave his owners a nasty surprice:thumbs up

TQ,I believe we have a new by-law here in Oakville too,no roaming cats allowed,but I don't think it matters.

hazelrunpack June 13th, 2011 08:16 AM

I hope his owner gets the message!!!

Melinda June 13th, 2011 08:46 AM

we have two cats from the neighbourhood that do the same thing, thats where i get many of my injured wildlife from, we've trained Brina to go after these cats (she plays and sleeps with cats inside a home mind you) those are the only ones she goes after. See thats why there should be a law about loose cats, I mean how hard is it to put a bell around your cats neck to warn birds?

chico2 June 13th, 2011 04:26 PM

I was alerted by Chico,Vinnie and a Squirrel outside,that the kitty was here again..sure enough he was.
We use the hose to scare him away,never ever got him wet,just picking it up makes him run.
Right now it's really busy by the feeders,Chippie is there,as well as different kinds of birds,so I'll have to be on the lookout for the kitty.
It's really hard not to be nice to him,he's sooo darn cute,not that I hurt him or anything.