Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce yourself here - Say hello (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   First time WestJet Dog Flier... it was so easy? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50514)

pete.coolio March 15th, 2008 01:17 PM

First time WestJet Dog Flier... it was so easy?

I was so worried about flying my 80 pound dog across the country... turns out for NO reason?! Westjet made it so easy and friendly. If your dog and kennel together weights no more than 100 pounds, you can fly them as a piece of "luggage"... that is to say, it costs you about $50 because it's a little overweight... and they took very good care of my dog, Charlie.

I showed up to check in about an hour & a half before our flight, and walked around with Charlie for another 45 minutes before returning to "check" him with the handlers. Security had to examine the inside of his kennel before letting him go, but it was all so simple. I'd even call it "relaxed".

I'd affixed a bag of treats to the top of his kennel, and it was apparent that someone had been treating him along the way? This was his first flight, and his first time in a kennel in 8 years. After his 4 hour flight, (plus wait-times), he emerged looking as happy as ever. (A little thirsty).

I'm so pleased with WestJet for this. I joined this forum just so I could let other would-be dog fliers know that it's not the horrible ordeal that you think it might be. My first flight has left me smiling and very relieved.

rainbow March 15th, 2008 01:30 PM

Welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up I'm glad to hear that you and Charlie had such a good experience with West Jet. I have heard that they are the best airline to fly with. I hope you decide to stick around and tell us more about your boy. We would love to see pics of him when you are able to post attachments. :)

Love4himies March 15th, 2008 01:32 PM

Thanks for letting us know, I think a member here was recently trying to get info about flying his/her dog across the country.

Dracko March 15th, 2008 08:35 PM

Good thing it wasn't Air Canada. They'd have lost him for sure! :rolleyes:

allymack March 15th, 2008 09:36 PM

hey, welcome to the board.

good to hear you had such a good experience flying with your dog. and i agree with drako, if it was air canada thety would have lost him , i have lost lugguage with them countless times.

smileah June 12th, 2008 11:29 PM

Wow - am I glad to have found your post! Hurrah!!! I, too am worried out of my socks, but this bit of personal experience has really helped me.

THANKS for posting, and congrats on the great trip!! :thumbs up

Downy July 30th, 2008 12:46 PM

I am also flying WestJet with our dog who is 80lbs. I'm very worried that she will be over the weight limit as her kennel is about 20lbs. I can't seem to find a large kennel under that weight. Do you know if Westjet will oversee a few pounds over or will we be stuck? I am so anxious about flying. Did they weigh your dog with kennel to make sure you were under the 100lbs?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

ruff's jan September 15th, 2010 12:58 PM

trouble with Westjet

So we are flying Westjet to Ontario with our dog at the end of the month.
I printed the Westjet instructions for the pet crate, "maximum height 26 inches", and realized that our crate is 27 inches high. I called the Westjet number and was told that I would have to go to the airport and talk to the baggage handlers to see if this crate is OK, or buy another crate.
I called all around Calgary to buy another crate and it seems that the big dog crates are usually 27 inches or larger, and the next size down is really small - around 21 inches high. Our dog is a rough collie, and so would not fit in the smaller boxes.
Westjet employees have been really NASTY. I don't have time to come in to Calgary, and line up at Calgary airport to find out if our crate is OK.. It would be a disaster if we are refused at the check in.
I've asked to talk to a Westjet superior, but it was the same thing: "Go to the airport and talk to the baggage handlers". Why can't they talk to their own baggage handlers and get back to me?
grrrrrr!
Jan

cmpink&comet January 28th, 2011 02:28 PM

gives me some peace of mind -thanks!

Hi,

thanks for putting the posting up! I am a lot more comfortable bording on a plane now, knowing that my dog will be taken care of. I am flying out next week with Comet on WestJet as well. it's about a four hour flight (Calgary to Ottawa). He's never been on a plane or crated (didn't work out for him as a pup) and is 10 years of age.

My dog is very nervous in nature so I am hoping that it will go as smoothly as it did for you.

thanks again for putting up the post!

totallyhip January 28th, 2011 03:14 PM

Hello & welcome. I love WestJet. We fly all our rescue dogs thru them. They are GREAT!

KtoVwithaD May 11th, 2011 10:40 PM

My fiancee and I regularly fly WestJet. However, I have to say I find their crate policy rather asinine. Unless someone can point me in the right direction, I'm pretty sure there are NO crates that are 36Lx24Wx26H. My lab puppy is too long to fit into the next step down in crates, but would fit just fine in this size... if it existed.

Since crates seem to be exclusively 27H, I called Westjet and asked if that would be okay since he's well under the weight limit. I was flatly told no. I asked if there were any brands of crate which they specifically approved? No. Helpful. Can anyone point me in the direction of a correctly sized crate?

erykah1310 May 11th, 2011 11:33 PM

I would call back and talk to a different representive, I fly my dogs with Air Canada cargo and one inch in height didn't make a difference as long as it was larger, i had seen them freakng out on a man who had a dog stuffed in a cat carrier and they refused to fly the dog.

KtoVwithaD May 12th, 2011 09:47 AM

I think I'll try calling back. Did you fly Air Canada cargo as in dog was with the luggage in the hold or did you have your dog shipped in a separate cargo plane at additional expense? I know they will take larger dogs as freight, but the prices are astounding! More expensive than buying my own ticket. And I've heard horror stories about dogs being left unfed and without water overnight because the cargo plane was delayed.

cell May 12th, 2011 12:13 PM

There is a black folding mesh style bag that is sold at Canadian Tire that they will allow. It is slightly bigger then the size restriction but when I flew with them they never measured.

KRISTIN64 June 28th, 2011 05:18 PM

Help!

Hi there! I seem to be having the same problem and we only have a 55lb dog but she needs the bigger crate. Did you end up finding a crate somewhere that met the requirements or how did you proceed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

[QUOTE=KtoVwithaD;1008975]My fiancee and I regularly fly WestJet. However, I have to say I find their crate policy rather asinine. Unless someone can point me in the right direction, I'm pretty sure there are NO crates that are 36Lx24Wx26H. My lab puppy is too long to fit into the next step down in crates, but would fit just fine in this size... if it existed.

Since crates seem to be exclusively 27H, I called Westjet and asked if that would be okay since he's well under the weight limit. I was flatly told no. I asked if there were any brands of crate which they specifically approved? No. Helpful. Can anyone point me in the direction of a correctly sized crate?[/QUOTE]

cell June 29th, 2011 09:54 AM

a 55lb dog will not make carry on requirements, you will need to look into the cargo service or checked service (in the cargo hold)

Murphus July 14th, 2011 06:29 AM

Flying with Dogs

Thank you so much for writing about this - i too am a bit nervous about flying with my dog - but this has helped a lot!

My dog is under the under 10kg - do you think i still have to put him under the plane or do you think i can have him in the cabin?

thanks!

Mor's Mom February 7th, 2013 05:44 PM

KtoVwithaD and ruff's_jan how'd it go with your flights? That one inch is worrying me too. I wish Westjet would realize that there are IATA standard (Vari Kennel Ultra) cages out there that are 27" in height, they have to change their website! Did your dog get on with that 1" over?

Lab June 18th, 2013 05:26 PM

Thank you for writing - I flew with our labrador in 2005 and Air Canada lost her for 19 hours. It was so upsetting. Now I'm considering a flight with Westjet....although I'm so nervous....Toronto to Halifax.....

Dog Dancer June 19th, 2013 10:19 AM

Shipped two pups from Ontario to BC a few months ago on WestJet and there was no trouble at all.