Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Foster kittens, why are they dying?? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52227)

Boubou May 11th, 2008 11:17 AM

Foster kittens, why are they dying??

I'm fostering a cat that came into the shelter very pregnant and I brought her home the next day. She was caged and in quarantine for one night, I brought her home on the Sunday and she gave birth that night to six kittens. She is an amazing mom, looked very experienced and the kittens were thriving, until last week. We noticed a few were getting weak and on Friday afternoon, we came home and one was dead. I decided to start supplementing them with kitten milk and Nutri-pet, and still another one died yesterday, and now this morning 2 more are struggling. They won't suckle at all and when I feed one of them, it comes out his nose even though he is not on his back and I put in a few drops at a time. I have them under a heat lamp, but they're always moving around, and they're cold. I'm quite sure they won't make it either. I will start sub-q fluids this afternoon once I get back from my moms - what bad timing it being mothers day and all.....

Do you think the mom could have caught Rhino (even though she's not symptamatic) and passed it on to her babies in her womb? Any other suggetions why they're dying??? My daughter is so distraught over this, she's the one who took on the reponsiblility of caring for the mom and babies - they're actually in her bedroom....help!

Boubou May 11th, 2008 11:18 AM

I forgot to mention that today, they are exactly 2 weeks old.....

pbpatti May 11th, 2008 11:40 AM

I have no advise for you but wanted to send:pray: for their health and that they grow up to be big kitties.:candle: pbp

Frenchy May 11th, 2008 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=Boubou;591639]

Do you think the mom could have caught Rhino (even though she's not symptamatic) and passed it on to her babies in her womb?
[/QUOTE]

Rhino is a bit like kennel cough for dogs. So I know with kennel cough , this can take 7-10 days to show symptoms ... and it's very contagious so yes , I think the kittens could have caught it. :sad: I'm sorry :sad:

14+kitties May 11th, 2008 06:27 PM

First off - if mom is being a good mom she will keep babies warm. Please take away the heat lamp. It can do a lot of harm to babies. They can not regulate their heat for the first few weeks.
Secondly - have you talked to a vet? We can't do much besides offer condolences and suggestions but nothing beats a vet visit. There are so many things that can go wrong with newborn kittens.
Third - There is something called Fading Kitten Syndrome where sometimes kitties who are completely normal or deformed will simply stop eating and die. No one knows why.

[url]http://cats.suite101.com/article.cfm/fading_kitten_syndrome[/url]

The very best thing you can do is to take these little ones to a vet asap.
:fingerscr

Love4himies May 12th, 2008 07:20 AM

The kittens and momma really need to go to a vet. 14+kittens is right, they do not need a heat lamp if momma is lying with them, they can't regulate their body temp and you could be making them too warm.

danaekitty May 12th, 2008 07:54 AM

I'm so sorry for your poor daughter - I hope she is mature enough to understand death, although it's never easy.
I hope your kitties get strong - keep us posted...hopefully a vet visit is in the works!

Jim Hall May 12th, 2008 10:16 AM

how the kitss and momma doing? you got a vet vivsit on the schedule?

Boubou May 12th, 2008 11:42 AM

Well, I went to the vet and got some anti-biotics. I'm giving the weakest one 2 injections daily with 3cc of fluid to keep her hydrated as she's still not suckling. Also supplementing with nutri-pet and formula for all three - they hate it! The vet said the the mom probably already had something such as Rhino(even though she has no symptoms and is doing great) and passed something onto her kittens. She was found outdoors and her ears and pads of her feet were frostbitten. You can tell she's had a rough life. She's so beautiful, all white with little grey speckles on her head - and one blue eye and one green!

I lost 3 babies in all and I hope with the meds, I can save the rest:pray:..

I'll let you know how things are - thanks for your advice..

Love4himies May 12th, 2008 11:47 AM

Oh the poor babies, unfortunatly there is not much a vet can do with them at this age, they are so tiny.

:pray: the rest recover.

Boubou May 15th, 2008 06:54 AM

The three kitties are still with us! Two are doing great, they're adorable and starting to play. Unimaginable cuteness!

But the little white one is till struggling. It's day by day and I keep hoping to see a big improvement everyday, but she's still not 100%, but atleast she's still here.

14+kitties May 15th, 2008 06:55 AM

:fingerscr they continue to improve!! Good Job!!! Thanks for letting us know!

Rottielover May 15th, 2008 07:11 AM

I have no advice, my those kittens are in my prayers, I hope all will be well very soon:pray:

chico2 May 15th, 2008 07:12 AM

Boubou,that's great news:thumbs up
:pray:Mom does not have any kind of disease and that the little runt will survive..:pray:
When things are a ok,you know we have to see pics,I too have an odd-eyed kitty,I would love to see mom..you are probably right,she must have had a hard life,thank you for beeing her kitty:angel2:

Love4himies May 15th, 2008 09:21 AM

Kittens are fighters for sure. I am so glad they are still doing well. Thanks for keeping us updated. :thumbs up