Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Water with meal (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19448)

StaceyB September 11th, 2005 09:58 PM

Water with meal

I am curious about something. This may sound silly but I would like to know if your dog/s eat their meal with or without drinking water during their meal.

Joey.E.CockersMommy September 11th, 2005 10:01 PM

I have noticed after Joey eats his meal with the seal meal in it he gobbles it all up then drinks a whole bowl of water. I worry that he doesnt drink enough so I am always trying make sure he gets water.

StaceyB September 11th, 2005 10:07 PM

I am wondering if how a dog eats their meals may have anything to do with bloat. I so far haven't had to deal with it and I know there have been studies on the subject but it just makes me wonder if there are things such as this that may contribute.

mona_b September 11th, 2005 10:24 PM

Here is a great link for Bloat.It should help you.

[url]http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm[/url]

StaceyB September 11th, 2005 10:26 PM

I will check it out. I have read through several studies but I hadn't seen one that included whether or not the dog drinks water while they eat.

mona_b September 11th, 2005 10:32 PM

This one tells you not to give water an hour before and an hour after they eat.

This has been the best link that I have seen.And since I owned my first GSD at 17,I reasearched Bloat long and hard.

Joey.E.CockersMommy September 11th, 2005 10:37 PM

Thanks for that info Mona B, Joey usually has water with meals but now that I know this I will not give it to him with in an hour either way. Also excercise within two hours of a meal thats another one I didnt know about either. He is not on the high risk list for bloat. However he is a new dog in the household so he is slightly at risk.

StaceyB September 11th, 2005 10:51 PM

That is a great source of information.
I found what you did but didn't see any details(variables) of a study using just these factors.
I found the info on adding water to foods with citric acid interesting.

Stewart September 12th, 2005 12:42 AM

Gypsey my 5yr old female GSD has her food from a stand and I always refill her bowl with fresh water before I feed her. I am curious about this subject but so far shes been fine, She does drink a few gulps while feeding.She gets fed once a day usually around 17:30hrs.

dmc123 September 12th, 2005 06:10 PM

Both of mine drink a "big" drink of water after they eat.

Diane

Prin September 12th, 2005 06:12 PM

My doggies take a little sip after eating. Anything more than that and I stop them (bloat :eek: )...

mona_b September 12th, 2005 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=Stewart]Gypsey my 5yr old female GSD has her food from a stand and I always refill her bowl with fresh water before I feed her. I am curious about this subject but so far shes been fine, She does drink a few gulps while feeding.She gets fed once a day usually around 17:30hrs.[/QUOTE]

Please read the link.It states not to have the bowls elevated.And feeding should not be once a day,but broken down to 2-3 times a day.

Bloat happens mostly in Males.Not sure why.But my friend lost her St.Bernard to it.And she was a female.And Emily was only 8 months old.Now this is very rare.It's happens to adults.

Puppyluv September 12th, 2005 10:04 PM

Now I'm all confused. I've always been told, by vets, dog trainers and dog owners alike that elevating your dog food bowls is good for them.

Prin September 12th, 2005 10:06 PM

Not anymore. :eek:

Stewart September 13th, 2005 12:41 AM

Please read the link.It states not to have the bowls elevated.And feeding should not be once a day,but broken down to 2-3 times a day.

Bloat happens mostly in Males.Not sure why.But my friend lost her St.Bernard to it.And she was a female.And Emily was only 8 months old.Now this is very rare.It's happens to adults.

I have read the link mona_b thats why I metioned what goes with my GSD and I've spoken to lots of other large dog oweners who feed this way with no problems. As I said I am curious about this. Maybe its a case of horses for courses :confused:

Prin September 13th, 2005 12:21 PM

Ummm, that was really confusing...

Zues is my baby September 27th, 2005 03:37 PM

My Neo loves his water so we won't let him have any untill he has finished his food. If we were to put both out at once he would just drink water and not eat his food. This way he knows if he eats his food he will get the water. As well a benifit to doing this is so that he washes his droopy face after eating.

doggy lover October 5th, 2005 07:55 PM

I almost lost my first dog to bloat when he was 5, so many things can cause it its hard to say what did when it happened to Travis. One thing he was always a nervous dog, so who knows. Tucker eats a little and will have a little drink, but he never eats a full meal, just kind of snacks through out the day.

raingirl October 5th, 2005 09:04 PM

Odin varries. Sometimes he drinks a little before or after. Never during though.

Prin October 5th, 2005 11:35 PM

My awesome Japanese friend from Whistler tries her dog's food... She says "How do you know if it's not too salty if you don't taste it?" It's actually very logical, but no thanks. :D