Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet photography - Pet pictures (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Puppy breath on its way, hopefully. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83112)

Goldfields December 24th, 2012 10:50 PM

Puppy breath on its way, hopefully.

I decided to give Jarrah a nice Xmas present, a cattle dog boy, red of course, for her to hoon around with and educate in the ways of dragon slaying , aka mouthing blue tongue lizards to death. :mad: Here is a link to the pup(s), the one I am interested in is on right of photo.

[url]http://www.heelersridge.asn.au/puppies.htm[/url]

I have paid a deposit but he has to be either clear of PLL (Primary Lens Luxation) or at worst a carrier, and get a good BAER result(hearing). I'm paying for the PLL test because I think it could lead to more painful blindness than even PRA. As I get older the less I want to watch a much loved dog suffer through some of the ghastly things dogs get. Jarrah is clear for PLL, but a carrier of PRA. He is clear of PRA and hopefully also of PLL. The breeder has sent lots of videos and photo's and I like the look of his mother, so fingers crossed that his results are fine. It's a long time since we have a puppy here, 9 years, so this will be fun. :D Of course if either didn't score well for hips or elbows it'd be desexed. He is 5 weeks old, how old are yours, DD?

marko December 25th, 2012 10:46 AM

so fricken cuuuute! Congrats GF:highfive:

hazelrunpack December 25th, 2012 02:57 PM

Ha! You and DD will be able to bemoan the insanity of puppies together while the rest of us will be basking in the cuteness of puppy pics! :p :laughing: Congrats!

Goldfields December 25th, 2012 07:25 PM

LOL. I'm a sucker for speckles, Marko. :cloud9:
Hazel, if he moves as well as I think he did in one of the videos then he can do no wrong. (Bet you remind me of that later. :D ) He might make into a show dog. I finally decided it was a better bet to buy a tested pup than to have to travel Jarrah interstate to a stud dog, which could be a failure. She came here originally when she was due in season and it messed up her whole cycle, she was fretting for her previous owner then too of course.
Jarrah needs to be separated from the shelties, she ran straight over the top of Gemma this morning, trying to beat her in the back door. Like to see her try that with a full grown male cattle dog. :laughing:

angeldogs December 25th, 2012 07:41 PM

Congrats.That are some cute puppies. and has hazel said basking in the cuteness of puppy pics.:thumbs up

Goldfields December 25th, 2012 08:00 PM

Yes, they are cuties, and it's a lovely even litter. 9 pups and there is not one you could say was the big one, or the runt.

angeldogs December 25th, 2012 08:06 PM

And all are nice and healthy out side the testing you paid for on the one?.

Dog Dancer December 25th, 2012 10:55 PM

GF, woohoo, we's gettin puppies together! Mine are only 2 and 3 weeks old though, so you'll get yours first. That's okay, you can remind me what I'm in store for! How cute are those pups! We're gonna drive all the puppy watchers nuts with cuteness... Have you picked a name yet?

angeldogs December 26th, 2012 12:44 AM

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;1051314]GF, woohoo, we's gettin puppies together! Mine are only 2 and 3 weeks old though, so you'll get yours first. That's okay, you can remind me what I'm in store for! How cute are those pups! We're gonna drive all the puppy watchers nuts with cuteness... Have you picked a name yet?[/QUOTE]

Oh yes you's are but at least the going nuts is over cuteness overload.

Goldfields December 26th, 2012 01:57 AM

DD, did you see where it's to be her Australian Valleys litter? Well, no valleys in my immediate vicinity, it's flat here, so I was telling a friend this and SHE named him for me. Yay! She knows the dogs, (and breeders) of 3/4 of his pedigree and they come from in or near the Jamberoo Valley in New South Wales. So registered name hopefully Heelersridge Jamberoo, "Roo" for short. My friend checked a book she has on the subject and Jamberoo is an aboriginal name meaning 'track'. Take that whichever way you want but coincidentally the pup's mum has her TD title, Tracking Dog, as well as being a CH.. Funnily enough Jarrah has a valley name in her pedigree also, Jayelpar Swan Valley Red. The beautiful Jarrah trees grow in that valley in Western Australia, hence her nickname. :) We like to keep to an Aussie theme with this breed where we can. DD, are you looking forward to house training them? LOL. I'm not. :(

Dog Dancer December 26th, 2012 12:31 PM

Um no, I'm not looking forward to the house training part. That will mostly fall to DH as he's home when I'm at work, and I know patience is not his strong point. I suspect the pups will spend alot of time on the back balcony area (which is all sheltered anyhow so it won't be so bad). It will take some serious effort when I'm home to get it done.

Love the name Jamberoo though. Love Roo for short.

Goldfields December 27th, 2012 02:35 AM

Middle pup out of the 3 at that link is sold so the breeder only has one home to find now. Have to prepare a shopping list for Roo. Actually, have a Dr's appointment tomorrow so might see what toys I can find him while I'm in town. He has to become a house dog, as a potential guard dog, so lots of work ahead for me, house training him. :(

Goldfields January 9th, 2013 10:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
If it turns out that someone has used the name Jamberoo as a kennel name(Prefix) I won't be allowed to have it, so second choice is Heelersridge Wartook after the Wartook Valley in the Grampians Mt range near us, but I'd still call him Roo as his call name, there being plenty of roos in the Grampians. Just checked and that link in my OP is useless, this was the photo that his breeder has moved. First photo at 5 weeks(he is on the right), second at 6 weeks, third at 7 weeks(unhappy after microchipping, he just wanted to go home).
The entire litter got an excellent BAER result, normal hearing, (YAY!!) but it could be a week or more till I find out his PLL result. Now, via an American forum, I see there is a mutation of the PRCD gene that can cause late onset blindness in this breed, but it's a test only available so far in the States. Wonderful what they can do via DNA swabs now, isn't it?

Dog Dancer January 9th, 2013 10:39 PM

GF Roo looks so sad in the last picture. What a sweetie he's going to be. I just posted in TJT that my transport has failed for my pups :wall:. Have to find a plan B, but we'll get them here. Maybe I'll have to fly to Toronto! When will you get Roo?? It must be soon. I'm so excited for you.

Goldfields January 9th, 2013 11:31 PM

Oh, curses, hey? That's just being polite, not what I was thinking, DD. LOL. Gee, I hope you get travel arrangements organized soon. Mine is hopefully being flown down to Melbourne, picked up by Dogtainers, kept overnight, then bought as far as Ballarat for me. 200 mile trip for me to go to Melbourne , only 100 to Ballarat and I avoid the chaotic city traffic. It's expensive but they're a great company to do business with. Still don't know when it will happen. I don't want Roo to look sad, serious would do. Hahaha! I want him to keep them guessing when he's older. Whether he's friendly or not I mean. The time is really dragging, as it must be for you too I imagine.

angeldogs January 10th, 2013 05:37 AM

Roo is super cute.and i like the new name also.

Barkingdog January 10th, 2013 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;1052036]GF Roo looks so sad in the last picture. What a sweetie he's going to be. I just posted in TJT that my transport has failed for my pups :wall:. Have to find a plan B, but we'll get them here. Maybe I'll have to fly to Toronto! When will you get Roo?? It must be soon. I'm so excited for you.[/QUOTE]

He looks sleepy to me. puppies love to eat and sleep.

Goldfields January 10th, 2013 06:57 PM

Barkingdog, I've no doubt you are right and he was tired. I think it was quite a long trip for the pups when they went for microchipping.

Dog Dancer January 10th, 2013 10:02 PM

Yeah, I agree it's more of a sleepy look. Sweetie that he is :lovestruck: He can snuggle up to me and have nap any time he wants!

Barkingdog January 11th, 2013 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=Goldfields;1052077]Barkingdog, I've no doubt you are right and he was tired. I think it was quite a long trip for the pups when they went for microchipping.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, you just reminded me to check when my dog microchip need to be renewed. I have to pay a fee each year . Yeah that would be a big trip for a puppy being handle and getting a shot . That is a lot of work for the small guy. He is so sweet looking and I love his red fur.

Goldfields January 11th, 2013 07:16 PM

I'm hanging out for his 8 week photograph. :) His red is .like a chestnut horse's colour, nice and clear and bright, a cheery colour IMO. Aah, just wondered whether I've evened out the ratio of red to blues owned by us over the years and I have, we've had 7 blue ACD's and Roo will be our 7th red(excluding pups). At least no-one can say I have a colour prejudice. LOL.

Barkingdog January 11th, 2013 08:15 PM

[QUOTE=Goldfields;1052108]I'm hanging out for his 8 week photograph. :) His red is .like a chestnut horse's colour, nice and clear and bright, a cheery colour IMO. Aah, just wondered whether I've evened out the ratio of red to blues owned by us over the years and I have, we've had 7 blue ACD's and Roo will be our 7th red(excluding pups). At least no-one can say I have a colour prejudice. LOL.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you will get some purple puppies in the future! That would be something if you breed a red cattle dog with a blue cattle dog.

Goldfields January 12th, 2013 12:05 AM

Roo is by a blue, out of a red. You get either red or blue pups with such matings. I actually call them 'purple people eaters', the blue pups that is. LOL. They can be pretty hard to live with until they finish teething. I reckoned Cuddles was a cross between a wombat and a Tasmanian Devil. :)

Goldfields January 12th, 2013 02:29 AM

Thank heaven for a vigilant breeder. Roo's breeder wrote ....

"Ginger jumped the fence in the puppy yard this afternoon, I thought it was unusual for her to leave her pups .... I scolded her and put her back in, but she was pacing up and down near the fence in a frenzy. Yep, there it was Mr Hoe & I leapt into action - it shot away like a bullet ... but not before Mr Hoe chopped about 5 inches off its tail. BROWN SNAKE. Ginger knew it was lurking !!! "

One of the world's deadliest snakes for those who don't know our Australian snakes.

Dog Dancer January 12th, 2013 10:16 AM

Nothing more fierce than a mother protecting her babies. Good job mom! Good job breeder and Mr. Hoe.... I couldn't handle that myself.

Goldfields January 12th, 2013 08:12 PM

After a while you get used to them, DD. I always had a bigger fear of spiders and, to some degree, mice(hate the way they jump when they run) than snakes. We've had snakes in mice holes under the dog yards and the bird cage, asleep on the concrete path beside the garage(nearly trod on that one), in a pile of bricks, caught up in bird netting, hanging from the spouting on the roof, (waving from side to side, looking in the kitchen window) etc. etc.. :D If they are left alone they're fine, they don't set out to bite animals or people. You learn to deal with the nuisance snakes too, you have to. :(

angeldogs January 12th, 2013 08:19 PM

Momma did a good job.

Goldfields January 13th, 2013 02:20 AM

Yes, she did. They're good guards, these cattle dogs.

angeldogs January 13th, 2013 11:39 AM

Have you recieved any new pics of Roo.or momma

Barkingdog January 13th, 2013 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=Goldfields;1052120]Roo is by a blue, out of a red. You get either red or blue pups with such matings. I actually call them 'purple people eaters', the blue pups that is. LOL. They can be pretty hard to live with until they finish teething. I reckoned Cuddles was a cross between a wombat and a Tasmanian Devil. :)[/QUOTE]

Could a dog have red and blue fur if they had one red parent and one blue parent? That would be so cool!