Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dog false pregnancy? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15451)

Ingrid May 24th, 2005 11:00 AM

Dog false pregnancy?

Hi,

My dog is 7 years old. She has never been fixed nor has she ever matted or had puppies at all.

A few days ago I noticed she is licking her nipples all the time. There is some whiteish discharge from her nipples (like milk) and some clear discharge from her vagina as well. She looks a little bit sad, but nothing too serious, just doesn't seem to be eager to play or run, and she doesn't want to jump at all (to the bed, or to play or into the car)....

I highly doubt she is pregnant as her last heat ended on the first or second week of march and she was under supervision most of the time. Also, I don't seem to 'feel' any puppies in her belly....

Could this be just a psicological pregnancy (although she has never been pregnant before) or maybe something else like an infection. Is it something I should be concerned about?

Tks!

BMDLuver May 24th, 2005 11:13 AM

First, I'm not sure why you would not have had her spayed?

I think it would be a good idea to take her to the vet and get her checked out. She could have something seriously wrong with her. Many dogs that are not spayed have complications later in life such as Lymphoma and Pyometria. Better safe than sorry.

db7 May 24th, 2005 11:14 AM

Yes, she could be having a false pregnancy.

Trinitie May 24th, 2005 11:17 AM

Your dog could be going through a false pregancy, and if she never bears any puppies, she could become very depressed. A deep depression can lead to other physical problems, such as loss of appetite, or hurting herself physically. You should bring her to a vet and have her spayed as soon as possible.

Spaying her will bring her out of her false pregancy, and will bring her out of her depression.

BMDLuver May 24th, 2005 11:58 AM

Pseudocyesis in Cats and Dogs
(False Pregnancy)
alse pregnancy is a condition in which a female exhibits behavior that resembles pregnancy. This is caused by the influence of hormones produced by the ovaries. During false pregnancy, the female seems restless and tends to "mother" toys, shoes, or other articles. She may attempt to build a nest with torn paper or blankets. Her abdomen may seem larger than normal, and the mammary glands may actually produce milk.

Treatment

In most animals, no treatment is necessary, because the affected female will "cycle" out of the false pregnancy on her own. This may take as long as 2 months. Surgical removal of the ovaries and uterus (spaying) may be advisable in females that have severe or repeated false pregnancies. If your pet's mammary glands become large and painful, application of alternating warm and cold compresses 3 to 4 times daily usually relieves the discomfort. You can also feed one half the normal amount of food for 2 days to reduce milk production. If she is still having pain after 2 days, contact your veterinarian. [B]Also notify your veterinarian if there is discharge of blood or fluid from your pet's vagina or if she is depressed for more than 2 days. [/B]

Notify your veterinarian if any of the following occur:

Your pet still has painful mammary glands after 2 days
Your pet has discharge of blood or fluid from the vagina
Your pet is lethargic or loses her appetite