Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   My turn for the Mystery Flower Game (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63977)

CearaQC July 8th, 2009 06:50 PM

My turn for the Mystery Flower Game

3 Attachment(s)
I found this growing wild all around. Absolutely no clue what it could be.

Found it quite interesting.

hazelrunpack July 8th, 2009 08:05 PM

Hmmmm....maybe heal-all? ([I]Prunella vulgaris[/I]?)

Animal-Princess July 8th, 2009 08:24 PM

Go onto like google and describe it, then click on google images, you should be able to find that there. Be careful though as to not let your dog eat it or anything until you know what it is.

breeze July 8th, 2009 08:31 PM

I've seen those........ but no ideal what they are called

but they are pretty and I love the color.:thumbs up

CearaQC July 8th, 2009 08:42 PM

Thanks Hazel!! I really appreciate it. Been looking for these types of medicinal herbs. Glad to know it's around. Found some in the field and some in the front lawn. :thumbs up Tiny plant though.

[QUOTE=Animal-Princess;798771]Go onto like google and describe it, then click on google images, you should be able to find that there. Be careful though as to not let your dog eat it or anything until you know what it is.[/QUOTE]

My dogs only eat long grass and only occasionally. I never worry about them eating any other plants. Besides I have complete control and they are never unsupervised. If they pick up anything that I don't want them to, I can tell them to spit it out and they will right away. :thumbs up

breeze July 8th, 2009 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=CearaQC;798795]Thanks Hazel!! I really appreciate it. Been looking for these types of medicinal herbs. Glad to know it's around. Found some in the field and some in the front lawn. :thumbs up Tiny plant though.[/QUOTE]

what are they used for??

CearaQC July 8th, 2009 08:52 PM

Well going by the common name of "All Heal," among other similar names, it's used for mouth gargles if you have sore throat, mouth ulcers, etc. Diarrhea, minor skin problems like bruises, scrapes, etc. It contains a few vitamins, including Vit K. Also edible apparently.

hazelrunpack July 8th, 2009 09:01 PM

We have a bunch of it in our grass, too. Seems to be a tad invasive. :D Hmmmm...madame hazel has frequent problems with canker sores... I see a whole new resource for remedy here... :thumbs up

14+kitties July 8th, 2009 09:04 PM

It is a weed here too but one company was selling it as a perennial salvia a couple of years ago. I bought some and planted it. As long as you pull out any small plants coming up where you don't want it it isn't that bad. It's used as a ground cover of course.
It is (I think but let me check my books) in the same family as the Prunella Freelander I have growing in other sections of my gardens but I prefer the Prunella Freelander.

breeze July 8th, 2009 09:06 PM

ok you guys can try it then tell me if it works :D:thumbs up