Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Photography tips - photography gear (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Why does this happen,any tips??? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35749)

chico2 January 24th, 2007 12:43 PM

Why does this happen,any tips???

1 Attachment(s)
Often when I use my flash inside(digi-cam)this happens,half of the pic gets dark??? Why??
I have the camera set on'shooting with automatic settings'..

hazelrunpack January 24th, 2007 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;358750]Often when I use my flash inside(digi-cam)this happens,half of the pic gets dark??? Why??
I have the camera set on'shooting with automatic settings'..[/QUOTE]

Don't know much about digital cameras, but is it possible that it's taking the light reading and setting the exposure from the brightest part of the field? With my manual 35 mm, if I'm shooting a subject in front of a light source, I need to overexpose to get anything other than a silhouette...on automatic, the exposure would be set for the window, not the subject in front. If the setting was made on the basis of Vinnie (that's your white boy, yes? if not...apologies for hazel's senility :o ), then the rest of the room would be underexposed when Vinnie is prefectly exposed. :shrug:

Just an idea. Don't know if automatic digital cameras set exposure the same way or not... :confused:

CyberKitten January 24th, 2007 05:11 PM

I am hardly an expert either (in fact, the opposite is prob true not to mention when we used the old 35 mm, I used to forget to take the cap off, lol) but it may be where you're standing, the time of the day, how much light is in various parts of the room???

But those are just guesses.

chico2 January 24th, 2007 05:15 PM

Thank's,I guess I have to start reading the instructions,but they are a bit confusing,to me at least:D
Maybe I should get myself"Digi-Cam for Dummies":laughing:

wdawson January 24th, 2007 06:01 PM

it may be your spot metre setting.........is there a little box in viewfinder when you look in there........if there is make sure its in the centre and not at the bottom.....also check if you can change any settings on how the flash goes off(hi,low,fill flash ect ect) hope this helps.

jiorji January 24th, 2007 07:44 PM

the camera light meter reads the lightest and darkest spot to estimate a flash range. So I guess yours focused mostly on the pure white areas and left the others dark. Because if it gave off enough flash to cover the darker areas, then Vinnie would've been TOO white. ANd well since the cameras auto you don't really have much option because the light meter usually goes all over the screen in some cameras, but try to hold the button halfway down on the dark areas and then move the camera where you want to take the shot so that you trick it. SOmetimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Prin January 24th, 2007 11:22 PM

Are you sure your fingers aren't in there? :o ;)

Otherwise, the flash could just be misaimed or mistimed (not synchonized with the shutter. What I would do is bring a pic to a ma and pa camera shop and ask them what it is. :shrug:

You could also take a pic of you to see if you notice the lack of light at the top half of the pic (like if the flash is pointing down).

Are you zooming in in that pic? Because sometimes the zoom has a further range than the flash...