Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   puppy ate a light bulb (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59606)

Dianasue500 January 4th, 2009 05:39 PM

puppy ate a light bulb

This A.M. I awoke to find the scarce remains of what was once a light bulb.

My pound puppy Sabrina had apparently ate it.

Her vet. will not be available until Monday.

Should I worry about her or not??

My husband said not to since there is nothing we can do.

Love4himies January 4th, 2009 05:41 PM

There are much more doggie smart people than I who will be able to give you some advice, but I will let you know what I would do.

I would watch her very, very closely as I would be worried the glass cuts her tummy or intestinal lining. Any vomiting, lethargy or not interested in favourite food would be of concern.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dianasue500 January 4th, 2009 05:44 PM

Thank You!!!! I will

I appreciate the advice.

Diana Sue

angeldogs January 4th, 2009 05:48 PM

Can you contact an ER Vet.i would be concerned about the glass doing internal damage to the stomach and digestive track.

Dianasue500 January 4th, 2009 06:04 PM

Not really.........

We do not seem to have one and the Vets. that have answering services for the weekend will only talk calls if you are a regular patient.
Or so they keep telling me.

Even my own vet has an answering machine but has yet to call back.

To be truthful Sabrina seems find for of energy jumping around inside running around outside; if it wasn't for the small bits and pieces of the light bulb I would not had even suspected that she ate it.

But I don't know where the pieces went.

But I really do apperciate everyones help and advice.

babymomma January 4th, 2009 06:05 PM

My dads german sheoherd he had as a kid would chew up glass coke bottles and eat them. But it never caused her problems. Luckily. You will probably not be so lucky. Should you be worried? Ohhh yea. It almost as bad as swallowing razer blades.

bendyfoot January 4th, 2009 06:13 PM

Our dogs have ingested some ridiculous thing, the scariest of which was a five-blade shaving razor. We have been very lucky, no one ever suffered any ill effects (unless you count their moms' heart attacks!)

If I were you, I would be watching that pup like a hawk for the next 24 hours or until you can get her to the vet. I would also be collecting every one of her poops and thoroughly examining them for signs of the lightbulb and for signs of blood (sometimes red, but can also be black). If she's passing it, and the peices are small, and there's no blood, you'l probably be ok. but any signs of lethargy, pain (hunched back, not wanting to move or be touched), vomitting, diarrhea or blood coming out ANYwhere, you want to pack that pup into your car and find the nearest 24 hour vet asap. Keep calling around, and maybe call some neighbouring towns so you can have a contact at the very least if you do find yourself having to rush her in. I hope things go smoothly for you guys.

Love4himies January 4th, 2009 06:38 PM

Yes, bleeding high up in the digestive track will be black when it comes out. It can even mix with the stool and turn the stool black.

Longblades January 4th, 2009 07:16 PM

One thing I have read on other boards, and you can google for it as well, is to feed her cotton balls laced with cream. The cotton is said to bind up and collect the shards of glass and help make passing them easier. I believe the cream is only to make the cotton balls more palatable and easier to swallow themselves. It must be real cotton, not synthetic. I have read 5 cotton balls for a Lab sized dog.

I have not done this myself but it has come from sources I deem credible. If anyone else has more info on it please chip in.

Here is a link that says to do this but also says to check with your Vet. Even though you don't have a local E Vet, perhaps there is one in a neighbouring community you could call?

[url]http://www.mythings.com/tips/2434/Feed-Your-Dog-Cotton-Balls-if-He-Swallows-Something-Sharp[/url]

hazelrunpack January 4th, 2009 07:54 PM

If she were going to have problems with the glass, I'd think she'd be showing symptoms already if this happened this morning.

Was it an incandescent bulb or a fluorescent?

Dianasue500 January 5th, 2009 07:43 AM

It was like a 40 or 60 watt plain old light bulb that I had painted to look like a person for decorations. I have completely forgotten about it; it has been in a box under the bed for years.

I still can not phantom how on earth she got a hold of it.

It's after 6:00 a.m. right now and the Vet should be at the Cornerstone Animal Hospital soon. I won't get a hold of anybody until 8:00 but I have the phone ready to call.

hazelrunpack January 5th, 2009 10:29 AM

Where there's a will there's a way. :rolleyes: It's amazing what they can do if they put their minds to it.

Good luck with the vet today. Please keeps us updated. :goodvibes:

angeldogs January 5th, 2009 04:52 PM

Did you get a hold of the vet.? or take Sabrina into the vet.?

Hope all went well.

Dianasue500 January 5th, 2009 06:35 PM

I am sorry been having alot of company stopping by to see the new puppy.

But I did as someone had suggested and took her and a few of them to the Vet who said he could find any sign of glass in her. He thinks that she just broke it up and what I thought was hardly any remains; where actually the remains of a light bulb spread out.

Huh..............

So I don't know

It's just I lost my puppy dog Madeline Dec. 19th when she had a stroke and stopped breathing. She would have been 11 this Feb.

I raised her as a pup; the runt actually. Her mother Lady Macbeth would stop laying on top of her. So I took and brought her up.

Then before her 1st birthday she came down with Parvo and almost died. And fact I brought her home to die cause the Vet at petsmart said that she would.

I hand feed her and watered her by hand and praise be she lived.

But she was also epileptic and had seizures.

Then one day she was laying across the pillows lost control of her bowels and bladder then stopped breathing.

So Sabrina is sort of a replacement puppy. But she developed a bad case of kennel cough and the Vet.s nurse kept telling me to take her back to the pound since she was a sick puppy. Thank God the vet didn't feel that way.

She is over the illness but without thinking she gave it two our two labs.

But the vet said they will get better after they have taken all of their medicine.

I want to thank you ALL for giving me advice on what to do for Sabrina. I don't feel as alone anymore.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Love4himies January 5th, 2009 07:07 PM

I am so sorry to hear about Madeline. :grouphug: Sounds like she was dearly loved.

As for Sabrina, that naughty girl, lol. If the vet is not concerned I would continue to keep an eye on her poops to make sure there is no fresh blood or dark stools.

angeldogs January 5th, 2009 10:43 PM

Sorry to hear about Madeline.:rip:

With Sabrina it's better to be save then sorry when your not sure or sure if they ate glass or something else sharpe that can do internal damage.that is good that vet doesn't think she ate anything.i would still keep an eye on her just in case.