Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Another Dog Food Question (sorry) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14318)

Dozer's Mom April 22nd, 2005 12:08 PM

Another Dog Food Question (sorry)

This is my first post so I'm not even sure if it is in the right place. It's also another dog food question which I know has been talked about right to death but I'll try anyway. I currently feed my 9 week old valley bulldog puppy nutro ultra. I was thinking of switching to either Wellness or Innova and was wondering if anyone could recommend one food over the other or if it is even worth it to switch foods at all.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Lucky Rescue April 22nd, 2005 12:12 PM

I feed Wellness. My dog is crazy about it and is very healthy.:)

I've never tried Innova, but I believe that is excellent too.

Cactus Flower April 22nd, 2005 12:20 PM

No need to apologize, and welcome!

I'm sure you'll get informed opinions about either food. I don't use them, so I can't comment. Just wanted to say hello, and glad you joined.

:)

BMDLuver April 22nd, 2005 12:32 PM

both

Both wellness and innova are excellent food choices. I would suggest getting samples of each to test with your little one as one of my gang here won't touch wellness but loves Innova, why she has a preference I don't know but both foods are costly so sample testing is a good way to go. :thumbs up

goldenblaze April 22nd, 2005 12:33 PM

Nutro is my choice, feed this to my golden since he was 8wks old. I tried Wellness he wasn't much for it and my Shih Tzu would not even try eat one kibble.

nymph April 22nd, 2005 12:35 PM

Nutro Ultra looks pretty good from the labels at least. If your puppy likes it and is doing well on it, why bother switching? You might however want to slowly introduce him to different brands of puppy chow just to see which one he likes best though, but I'll do that very gradually as abrupt change in diet may lead to diarrhea.

Dozer's Mom April 22nd, 2005 12:44 PM

Thanks for the welcome and all the great suggestions. I did get a sample of both foods and tried a little bit of each with him and he loved them both! Then again this is the puppy who loves sticks, grass, lint and any other foreign object that could possibly be found on the ground or the floor...lol. I know Nutro Ultra is a pretty good food but I thought that one of the other 2 (innova or wellness) might be better especially because the price of Nutro at the petstore is ridiculous!!! I can get Wellness for about the same price if not a little cheaper and I just thought if it was a better quality food that it might be worth switching.

Prin April 22nd, 2005 12:46 PM

I actually feed solid gold wolf king. But from your choices, I would say wellness, just because some people say that innova is harder to digest. Maybe I am totally wrong, but that is my opinion. And I'm partial to solid gold anyway... :) THe innova may be harder to find too.

[SIZE=2]Solid gold is good too.... Here is the first few ingredients, in case you haven't heard of Wolf King.. (one of my dogs was on wellness when we got her and she didn't find it too tasty, but she LOVES this food. Ravages it)
Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | [/SIZE]

Dozer's Mom April 22nd, 2005 01:07 PM

Is there a website that tells where Solid Gold is available to buy? I have never seen it around here and I am not quite sure where i would find it.

Prin April 22nd, 2005 01:13 PM

Yes, here is the distributer for eastern Canada. It's a little outdated but you should be able to find one or two..
[URL]http://www.jollypet.com[/URL]

This is what they have for Halifax (but there are probably way more who aren't listed)
Carnegy Animals Hospital
7 Langbrac Dr. . B3M 4N7
(p) 902-457-0117

House of Dogs
6448 Quinpool Rd. . B3L 1A8
(p) 902-492-3647

Dozer's Mom April 22nd, 2005 01:31 PM

Thanks so much for the help. I've heard a lot of great things about Solid Gold but couldn't find it...I guess I didn't look very hard :o ...lol. I will definitely check it out. Thanks again for all the info :)

Prin April 22nd, 2005 01:37 PM

I doubted that better food was better, I thought it was all hype, but now it seems I have become the preacher... Get a sample of it and you'll see- they ravage it. They'll even try to eat the plastic bad it comes in if it smells like the food. Crazy. I'm so happy with it though. My babies are so soft and so shiny. :)

BeagleMum April 22nd, 2005 01:42 PM

I use Nutro Ultra Puppy Lamb & Rice. Spencer loves it. No animal by-products!

nymph April 22nd, 2005 01:42 PM

I believe (but don't quote me) that Innova is actually way more expensive than Nutro Ultra, and Wellness is right about the same if not more expensive than Nutro Ultra. So if you are price sensitive, then perhaps these are not your choices.

Every pup is different, so try it out first, your pup would let you know.