Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   ginger has distemper (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65571)

kraizedaisy September 12th, 2009 10:21 PM

ginger has distemper

on sept 3rd i went to the human society picked out ginger She is a terrier mix 5 months old. I took her home with me that same day i was really excited first dog that was actually mine. First day didn't eat the dog food we had for other dog so i bought some puppy chow didn't touch it either so i bought some can mixed with dry she ate it right up. that was saturday wouldn't eat anything again that i put in front of her. she wasn't real lively even for a 5 month old but i thought no big deal new home strangers around. She also was coughing, gagging some but not too bad if got worse would check with vet. i started getting more concerned all she did was lay in her bed didn't get up unless i got her out then started the diarrhea called a friend of mine that was vet he said i need to take her back to the clinic i got her from of course they are closed on that day i called so i took her friday found out for sure she has disptemper :cry: she had a temp of 104 so they gave a shot to bring it down which helped she also perked up a little bit also gave me some pills to help with the diarrhea. i had some chicken broth that she took a couple of slurps from also ate a little bit of can cat food (vet told me to use) after that she wouldn't eat again so i have been forcing feeding her .. today she ate the cat food out of my hand wouldn't from bowl only my hand made me cry again

today i notice she has a little bit of blood on side of nostril is this normal ?
anybody have any advise they can give me is really appreciated

hazelrunpack September 12th, 2009 10:38 PM

I'm sorry you and Ginger have been having such a traumatic beginning :grouphug:

I'm afraid I don't really have any advice accept to try to make sure she gets plenty of liquid so she stays hydrated and to touch bases with the vet tomorrow morning. Do you know how to take her temperature? If it's high again, or if the bleeding continues (esp if it worsens), I'd talk to an emergency vet. How is the diarrhea?

One thing that I've found my dogs love when they're sick is if I boil (yes boil...go figure) some chicken pieces--since you're going to bone it before giving it to her, any pieces will do, but thighs are easier than, say, breasts because they have fewer bones for you to pick out. Boil it till the meat about falls off the bone by itself and [B]save the water.[/B] Our dogs love boiled chicken! Just cool it before giving it to her. Since the water will have lots of chicken flavor, once it's cool it may just tempt her to drink on her own.

Any chance your friend who's a vet would be able to take a look at her tonight?

aslan September 12th, 2009 10:56 PM

i've pm'd Dr Lee to see if he can give you some advice. good luck with your little one.

Dr Lee September 12th, 2009 11:12 PM

[QUOTE=kraizedaisy;824990]...found out for sure she has disptemper :cry: she had a temp of 104 so they gave a shot to bring it down which helped she also perked up a little bit also gave me some pills to help with the diarrhea. i had some chicken broth that she took a couple of slurps from also ate a little bit of can cat food (vet told me to use) after that she wouldn't eat again so i have been forcing feeding her .. today she ate the cat food out of my hand wouldn't from bowl only my hand made me cry again

today i notice she has a little bit of blood on side of nostril is this normal ?
anybody have any advise they can give me is really appreciated[/QUOTE]

I am so sorry about your situation. This is so difficult. Distemper is a horrible disease.

Do you know how they know for sure? Which tests? Urine PCR?

Distemper is a viral disease that often starts as looking like kennel cough. Sometimes it will show as diarrhea or both. Whether the pet clears the virus and survives has a lot to do with the pet's immune system and overall health, the viral strain and the individual interaction of the virus and the pet.

Supportive care is key. Nutritional support, fluid support, and controlling of secondary infections with antibiotics.

I have used Tamiflu in my distemper cases on the chance that distemper might utilize neuraminidase for replication. Unfortunately no one knows if it does or not. However the use of an antiviral drug does have some intuitive sense. Tamiflu is used to treat human influenza, swine flu, etc... It also is widely used for parvo virus infection. Here is a link for more information on my website: [URL="http://acerlux.com/productsyoushouldknow/tamiflu.html"]Tamiflu[/URL].

You might also want to see if there are any holistic veterinarians in your area. This might be helpful to help increase her immune system.

Finally, the clinical signs that you want to watch out for are neurologic signs. These include: facial twitches (repetitive and obvious - not just sleep twitches, etc...), muscle tremors, 'drunk' like walking, seizures, etc... If neurologic signs are seen, unfortunately the prognosis becomes grave. This would indicate that the virus has invaded the neurologic system and the chances of survival are slim to none.

Again I am sorry and wish I had better answers for you. I have successfully had many distemper patients survive, however; I have also had many more that have not.

Keep up hope and supportive care. At the very least, you have given her her love, compassion and care that she would have otherwise never have gotten. That means the world to her and it does make a difference. :pawprint:

growler~GateKeeper September 13th, 2009 02:24 AM

Just wanted to send some :goodvibes: for Ginger :grouphug:

EndOfFashion September 13th, 2009 08:37 AM

:goodvibes::fingerscr:pray: for Ginger to get better. Give her all your love, and don't give up!

ancientgirl September 13th, 2009 09:17 AM

I wish you the best of luck with Ginger. I hope you are able to get this under control and she is able to get past it.:pray:

kraizedaisy September 13th, 2009 11:02 AM

ginger update

thank ya'll for the support and advice! :)

this morning she wouldn't eat again also had diarrhea (since i gave pills, first bowel movement she had) i am using a syringe to force the chicken broth (mom boils chicken quarters for her dog) how much would be enough?

I had went to the clinic that is with the humane society the vet assistant was one actually saw ginger she did the provo test took temp then went to talk to vet then came back said she has distemper ..... i am going to call my friend that is a vet monday and take her in have him look at her.

kraizedaisy September 14th, 2009 01:06 PM

questions

how do I know when ginger is out of the woods? how long is the recovery period? what is signs that she is gonna make it?

Chris21711 September 14th, 2009 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=kraizedaisy;825414]how do I know when ginger is out of the woods? how long is the recovery period? what is signs that she is gonna make it?[/QUOTE]

Did you read Dr. Lee's post to you?.....I really don't think waiting until Monday to see a Vet is a very good decision...Distemper, especially in a puppy can be fatal.

hazelrunpack September 14th, 2009 10:48 PM

Did she see a vet today, kraizedaisy? How is she doing? Is she eating on her own again? :fingerscr

kraizedaisy September 15th, 2009 09:28 PM

took ginger to the bridge

:cry: she took a turn for the worst monday evening it attacked her lungs poor baby was moving around trying to find a comfortable spot all night she was having hard time breathing so this morning i took her to the humane society clinic :cry: Only knew her for a 12 days but she was still my best friend i am glad she had someone to cry over her i didn't even get to hear her bark :pawprint:

hazelrunpack September 15th, 2009 09:32 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss, kraizedaisy. :grouphug: Ginger was lucky to have had you to love her for those last days. You were her angel. :2huggers:

:candle: Ginger

ScottieDog September 15th, 2009 09:48 PM

Kraizedaisy, I am so very sorry for your loss. In those 12 short precious days Ginger knew love. Ginger is at peace and I wish you peace as well.

:candle: Ginger

growler~GateKeeper September 16th, 2009 12:46 AM

:rip: sweet :angel2: Ginger :candle: She is playing at the [URL="http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html"]Rainbow Bridge[/URL] with those who've gone before :candle:

ancientgirl September 16th, 2009 07:18 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. As you said, at least she had someone to love her and miss her when she really needed it.

:rip:Ginger