Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ROLDA No-Kill Shelter (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3322)

ROLDA March 1st, 2004 05:03 PM

ROLDA No-Kill Shelter

1 Attachment(s)
ROLDA is a group of animal'lovers from Galatzi preoccupied to improuve living conditions of strays from our town and neighbourn counties with similar overpopulation problems.
Official number of homeless animals in my town is over 10,000 strays and those poor souls live in uncertain and miserable conditions.
Since 2000,when ROLDA start fighting for animals'rights in my country,we lived many tragic moments,when we saw our furry friends dead because romanian authorities but we also lived few happy moments,that we consider our small victories.
Achievments:
1.ROLDA was the only romanian organisation that protested against Renault Company,when workers from Renault Romanian factory in Mioveni started to kill(poisson)stray dogs from factory'garden.
Working together with a german welfare organisation SunDogs([url]www.sundogs.de[/url])we were able to raise more than 2,000 signatures from all over the World in few days and we contacted all Renault affiliates companies and pressure them to stop the slaughter.
Campaign against Renault was held in March 2003.
It was a succesful campaign,because they never kill a dog since than,not neccessairly because they start care about animals,but because they must protect their own image.
2.Our no-kill shelter "Hope for Homeless" was build with personal investments and with help offered by "Greyhound Action International ",UK for purchasing the land and "Romania Animal Rescue,Inc."USA for house'renovation.
We succeded so far to finance (from personal resources) three kennels for isolating new comings and a block with ten kennels,that can accomodate 20 homeless animals.
ROLDA kennels'block are unique in entire Romania:built upon british standards,with double insulated walls,with plumbing,radiators for heating,indoor electricity,a ventilation system for dogs in summer,each kennel has one-two dogbeds,blankets,dog toys,bowls for water and food.
(Photos with shelter'house and kennels attached to this email)
Shelter'house has a central heating ,a large bathroom to bath doggies ,a sunny room where dogs can stay in winter indoor,an office and a bedroom for ROLDA'visitors,who preffer to spend a night at our shelter and for our volunteers who will supervise dogs during night.
In front of shelter'house,we will create,starting with this spring a "Memorial garden" called Printz,in loving memory of my beautiful dog who passed away more than a year back.
In time,I plan to add 5 more block of kennels,to totally shelter at ROLDA 100 doggies and a block for puppies,a running and playing field for dogs,a small plastic pool,for dogs in summer and this is only the begining.For a population of more than 10,000 strays only in town,we'll need to expand and to build at least one more shelter here in the next years.
ROLDA no-kill shelter gives a new chance to:
-Very sick dogs we found on streets,who need longterm treatment
-Dogs with lifetime handicaps ,who will never be adopted
We also TEMPORARLY acomodate dogs for recovery after spay/neuter surgery.Ussually,a recovery period is 3-4 days for a male and 6-7 days for a female,if none complication appears.
Another important achievement is the fact we found a local veterinary office we are exclusively working with.This veterinary office is runned by two very compassionate peoples,who promise me they will help ROLDA'activity as much as possible and in the limit of their possibilities.
Why founding vets. in Romania represent an "achievement"?!
Because romanian veterinaries are very greedy and have a different way of treating homeless animals than treating animals with owners,robably because their lack of education ,not to mention lack of veterinary items,veterinary equipment,even basic items for a surgery or medical emergency.
I also can consider an achievement each life we succed to save daily and each succesful rehomig of a stray,that give to our adopted furry friend hopes for a better and safer life!
3. Articles about ROLDA published in international media:animal magazines from USA("Animal News Center" and "Animal People"),Holland and different others publications ("The ARK" and "Shoreham Protester" UK )are a recognition of our daily activity and excellent relations/friedship we kept during time with ALL our collaborators shows we are following a right direction,but of course we need support from time to time to achieve our dreams.
4.Since 2002, ROLDA continue an intensive educative program that have as main target educating peoples about respecting another creature'life and its'rights.Last year we began a colouring book program to reach the children of Galatzi. These colouring books were designed by childrens from Sugar Land, Texas, USA and will be free distributed (along with a set of colouring crayons,already bought)to orphanage and poor kidsgardens in Galatzi.
This coloring book shows page after page of children loving dogs. We hope to get the message across to the children about kindness to other beings this year as well. Perhaps one day they too will be inspired to help animals.

Note:ROLDA didn't receive none funding from local authorities(because we have a private shelter )and none governmental assistance(because authorities ussually preffer to cheat animal'lovers and kill dogs instead of trying to humanely fix overpopulation problem!)
All ROLDA'staff is volunteer.

OUR MOST RECENT CAMPAIGN:SUPPORT COMMUNITY PROGRAM!
In order to support animal'lovers from local community who decided to help a stray with health problems, the local veterinary office (we are exclusively working with) annonce that ROLDA will help each animal'lover from Galatzi who care a stray by supporting the costs for each stray'treatment.
In this way,hopefully we will encourage those citizens who don't have money but have compassion for homeless animals to help our furry friends in need of medical help!

Galatzi is a large industrial town from Romania,300 Km far from Bucharest,with an officially declared population of 10,000(ten thousands) stray dogs only in Galati,not to mention the very high number of strays from the counties close to Galatzi:Braila,Tulcea and Vrancea.. and our shelter is the only one on an area of few hundreds Km.As you can imagine,daily we try to help teens strays in need: hit by cars,beaten,with broken legs,skin diseases,infected injuries,...
We collaborate perfectly with a veterinary office from my town,runned by two very special peoples,who make "miracles" for all my furry babies in need,no matter how difficult the situation is!
They dedicate their time to help as much as possible strays from Galatzi and often lately,they help me without being paid because I have big financially difficulties from a while!
We never received funds (or any other help) for our government or local authorities/City Hall and all our staff is 100% volunteer.

It's very hard to "control" urgent cases of ill dogs from 10,000 inocents and defendless souls with various problems and we daily face many difficulties and problems:
For ex.,one "problem" is dogfood:because of high cost of dry dogfood in Romania and because I cannot receive dry dogfood from outside Romania,according to romanian laws ,feeding even few hundreds dogs from 10,000 presently living on Galatzi'streets is a big challenge !!!
I'm very disappointed and discouraged when I'm able to feed only few teens-hundreds(according to my budget)and see others are not enough lucky ...I would love to care ,feed and protect them all!!!Each romanian stray is very special,loving and incredible good companion ...each furry friend I care is unique and wonderful in its own way and my life would be simply empty without having my babies around!

For more details about ROLDA'activity and our current campaign,please visit ROLDA'website:
[url]www.rolda.home.ro[/url]

Thank YOU for care about romanian strays!
Respectfully,
Dana
ROLDA
Phone:+40721759742
Email:rolda@care2.com
[url]www.rolda.home.ro[/url]

Carina March 1st, 2004 05:34 PM

WOW!
You are doing a wonderful thing there, my friend. :)

amaruq March 1st, 2004 06:35 PM

WTG!!!!!!!!

chico2 March 2nd, 2004 09:38 AM

I realize with all the political problems in Romania,unemployment,poverty,dogs and cats will be way down on the list of caring...I've seen(a documentary on TV) how former pets have become wild dogs and formed packs in Romania and also how they are hunted down and killed.
You are doing a wonderful job,there seems to be an unending need for cat/dog rescue even here in Canada,although our pets probably live a better life than many citizens of Romania.
I visited Romania in 1972 with my husband and 3 kids,when we were still in Sweden and Romania was still communist.