Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Birds (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Robins in the snow (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75977)

chico2 March 23rd, 2011 10:47 AM

Robins in the snow

3 Attachment(s)
Welcoming"my"Robins to a snowy Ontario..kitties watching..

14+kitties March 23rd, 2011 10:50 AM

I love Robins. They've been here for the last month making good use of the bare ground looking for any little bug they could find. Now, with this stupid snow, it's going to be hard for them. They don't seem to go to the feeder at all.
Love the kitties watching them. :cloud9:

chico2 March 23rd, 2011 10:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
+ some lowly Starlings,but they're birds too right..
Gracklers and Red-Wings are back too,after this snow,spring maybe??:pray:

chico2 March 23rd, 2011 10:52 AM

14+,me too,there is a male and female,courtship going on..I think the male has been here for a while,glad he has a girlfriend.

Robins cannot eat seeds,but in emergency they will eat bread,I threw out some raisins for them.

BenMax March 23rd, 2011 10:53 AM

Gorgeous pictures Chico2...but please don't tell me that these were taken today or yesterday???:pray:

mummummum March 23rd, 2011 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=chico2;995792]
Robins cannot eat seeds,but in emergency they will eat bread,I threw out some raisins for them.[/QUOTE]

What do they eat Chico? Just berries? Bugs?

mummummum March 23rd, 2011 11:04 AM

[QUOTE=BenMax;995794]Gorgeous pictures Chico2...but please don't tell me that these were taken today or yesterday???:pray:[/QUOTE]

I'm up to around 5 or 6 inches here in The Hammer.

Melinda March 23rd, 2011 11:11 AM

I feed the Robins warm suet and mealworms through the winter, any berries I buy and any berries left of the tree's they eat and yes, some do stay all winter in Ontario. *S*

hazelrunpack March 23rd, 2011 11:43 AM

I had a robin on my platform feeder gorping down on crumbled suet this morning, chico. If you have any suet and can break it up into small pieces, they'll likely be grateful. :D

Our slush/sleet/heavy snow threw our migrating robins, juncos, fox sparrows and song sparrows for a loop. The feeders have been fun to watch today, though :thumbs up

Chris21711 March 23rd, 2011 12:13 PM

Nice pics Chico.....we have Grackles and Red Wing Blackbirds also, normally the Cowbirds come in around the same time....none so far though.

[QUOTE=BenMax;995794]Gorgeous pictures Chico2...but please don't tell me that these were taken today or yesterday???:pray:[/QUOTE]

Taken today BenMax, it's heading your way :laughing:

We only have about an inch so far.

BenMax March 23rd, 2011 01:09 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;995829]Nice pics Chico.....we have Grackles and Red Wing Blackbirds also, normally the Cowbirds come in around the same time....none so far though.

Taken today BenMax, it's heading your way :laughing:

We only have about an inch so far.[/QUOTE]

No way Chris...I will use my almighty wonder woman wand to spiral it back to you. I have dog poop to pick up in the back and I was not planning on doing it today...

chico2 March 23rd, 2011 04:55 PM

BM,those pics are from today,lots of snow:evil: and I'd say at least 50+ birds today emptied the feeders in no time.
Since we have a heated bird-bath,we had to fill it twice,all the Gracklers decided to have a bath:laughing:

The Robins seem to like raisins and I also through out pieces of apples+I always have a suet feeder hanging by the tree.

Hopefully all this snow will be gone,I HATE it,mostly because of the birds:(and 14+kitties

hazelrunpack March 23rd, 2011 07:14 PM

Robins have trouble clinging to a suet cage, chico, so if you crumble the suet for them, they'll be able to eat it easier. I think everyone and their brother has luck with raisins except hazel--I've never gotten a robin to eat one. :frustrated: Do you put them on a deck rail or a feeder or on the ground...?

One thing about snow in March is that it doesn't stick around very long... :grouphug:

chico2 March 24th, 2011 04:58 PM

Hazel,I put some raisins on the ledge of the bird-bath where the Robins like to hang out,I think I must be the only one with a heated bird-bath,cause they all come here:laughing:
They also like chunks of apples and the berries from the Cotoneaster(sp?) bush,I had to remove a lot of snow from the bush today so they can get to them.
If I chop up the Suet,the Squirrels will finish it in no-time,they get enough peanuts.

hazelrunpack March 24th, 2011 09:39 PM

Hmmm...I wonder if I should try raisins out by the cistern. I've seen robins sitting there by the water :thumbs up