Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   training school for adopted dog (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20119)

jiorji October 5th, 2005 11:48 PM

training school for adopted dog

poodletalk was saying in a previous post that the dogs at the SPCA have almost no information about them and you can't know what they're like. Would it be a good idea to enroll an adopted rescue dog to training school right away?

How do training schools work anyways?
I see Joey's graduated from his with straight A's I presume. lol
My mom's friend took their doberman to obedience school when he was still a pup and he learned nothing.

Do they teach them everything? or do you choose what you want your dog to learn?

going to look for some in my area for future reference.

Prin October 6th, 2005 12:17 AM

I don't think an SPCA dog would be good in training right away. They need a little bit to settle down. A lot of them are pretty freaked out (not in a bad way, just that they've lost their homes and don't know why and ended in a place that smelled like death). They need to just chill out for a bit. I say, when they calm down, then you start.

If they're from foster homes, that's different. Then you can start whenever, and IMO, it shouldn't take them as long to settle in.

PetFriendly October 6th, 2005 06:45 AM

[QUOTE=jiorji]

How do training schools work anyways?
I see Joey's graduated from his with straight A's I presume. lol
My mom's friend took their doberman to obedience school when he was still a pup and he learned nothing.

Do they teach them everything? or do you choose what you want your dog to learn? [/QUOTE]

Dog training school, of the regular variety, is more about teaching the human how to teach the dog than teaching the actual dog. Most of the teaching that the dog will get will be from you, in your home, on your walks, during daily life. Dog school just gets you started on the right track.

There are a number of reasons that a dog may or may not pass their class, and its usually due to lack of effort (or a really stubborn dog :o ) ... There are different training methods as well, not all of them work for all dogs or their owners.

Yes, I guess you can pick and choose what the dog learns, in that if you don't practice at home, then it won't learn.

Most schools will let you sit in on a class to get a feel for the instructor and their technique. Take advantage of that and sit in where possible. There are also private instructors (my personal favourite) that cater to your needs.

Good luck on your search

jiorji October 6th, 2005 09:04 AM

prin...good thinking

PetFriendly....I didn't know that's how it worked. maybe that's why my mom's dog failed cos they didn't continue at home.

Lucky Rescue October 6th, 2005 09:24 AM

Agree with Prin. A shelter dog should be give a few weeks at least to bond with you and learn to trust and feel secure before taking him anywhere at all, and that includes visits to friends or family.

At the obedience I attended, we learned how to teach our dogs all the basic commands - sit, stay, heel, and down, plus the automatic sit on recall and on heel.

You can go on to advanced classes, which may included off leash heeling and recall, standing for examination, etc.

Dogastrophe October 6th, 2005 10:34 AM

We waited about a month or so before enrolling Monty and Lucy in training. They got to figure out our schedule, their new digs, have their stomach's settled from new food, etc.

Our classes were called "family companion". It was a 9-week, four level class structure where you progressed to higher levels at your and your dog's own pace. We learned the basics: sit, down, stay, watch, and heel. started off with on leash and progressed to off leash and distance control.

LavenderRott October 6th, 2005 11:11 AM

Your best bet is to find a class that you and your dog attend weekly.

MIA October 6th, 2005 01:58 PM

I start immediately with any dog I get from the shelter! Why wait? I have seen people wait and that's been a disaster as they are too scared to discipline the dog for anything and then the dogs become naughty!!!! Having done rescue for years I've never had a problem. They don't go into boot camp but are started right away, they have a strict routine as well which I find helps them settle faster as they quickly learn what happens and when.

Maybe it's just me, but all the dogs I have worked with seem to love it, they are doing something different, using thier minds, and bodies and getting loved.

StaceyB October 6th, 2005 02:17 PM

I have had many dogs take training with their adopted shelter dogs with no problem. I see that it helps with the bonding and the building of the household hierarchy. It also helps to deal with any social or training issues from day one instead of letting them settle in to a new home with their bad habits. I have many that are sent by the HS to be enrolled into training prior to adoption and pickup. It is part of the adoption contract to attend classes.

placid October 6th, 2005 03:02 PM

Re:

There are classes out there that specifically cater to rescue dogs. These sometimes go under names such as "Rehab for Rescues" or some other such thing.

Just make sure that you feel both you and your dog are ready. Sometimes a dog may be ready, but if you're not, it will pick up on your anxiousness and may become anxious, fearful, etc. because of this.

Hope this helps.

jessi76 October 6th, 2005 03:51 PM

[QUOTE=StaceyB]I have had many dogs take training with their adopted shelter dogs with no problem.[/QUOTE]

Many dogs take classes with their own adopted shelter dogs? wow. THAT must be a fun class. ;)

poodletalk October 6th, 2005 03:53 PM

I think it depends on the age of the dog you adopt, what their personality is and why they were dropped off at the SPCA.

My parents adopted her dog from the SPCA Monteregie when he was six months old, he was at the shelter since he was eight weeks old. When we brought him home, they needed to do very little training, just show him where the door was. He fit in the household perfectly, he automatically copied what the other dogs did.

I adopted a eight week old pup, and I enrolled her in dog obidence when she was of proper age and when she was no longer sick. I had her about four months before I enrolled her. If she wasn't sick, I would have enrolled her earlier in puppy classes and then basic obidence.

I know many people who adopted adult dogs from the SPCA'S and the dogs needed more socilizing skills than basic training.

If you adopt a pup, who was not neglected or abused, I would suggest you enroll in class when she has all her proper vacinations. By that time, you will have already started bonding with the pup and you would have already started some basic training. The classes will enhance what you have already started.

tenderfoot October 7th, 2005 03:18 PM

No matter what dog came into my life at any time under just about any circumstances, I am going to establish our relationship from the start. Of course there is an adjustment period in any new relationship, but better to be clear about your place in his life now than to have to try to set new rules later.
Socialization & basic skills are essential - but the most important thing for the dog to understand inorder for him to acclimate easily and become balanced is that he has a wonderufl leader looking out for him from the second you bring him into your home.
You need to find a course, book, DVD (see how I snuck that in? ;) ) that teaches you how to be a good leader. Before a dog can feel safe in a social situation or do well in training he needs to believe in his leader.