Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Buying a new dog! :) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76292)

BastienBully April 6th, 2011 03:39 PM

Buying a new dog! :)

Hi guys/girls and furrys i am looking around to buy a new dog and i would like to know what you guys think about these breeds.

The first one i am looking at is a [COLOR="Blue"]Presa Canario[/COLOR], large and powerful dogs, i love the looks they have and from what ive heard they have a very good temper with humans and other dogs.

The second one is of course another but this time purebreed [COLOR="blue"]American Bulldog[/COLOR], medium/large dogs

The third one is a [COLOR="blue"]Bull Terrier[/COLOR], medium dogs

And last, a [COLOR="blue"]King Doberman[/COLOR], medium/large dogs

BenMax April 6th, 2011 03:42 PM

Presas are not easy dogs. They require a specific dog owner that has alot of experience with the breed. They are not just for anyone.
I am curious, all these breeds that you list are very different. Are you going for look or breed characteristics and temperment?

BastienBully April 6th, 2011 03:46 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;1001047]Presia are not easy dogs. They require a specific dog owner that has alot of experience with the breed. They are not just for anyone.
I am curious, all these breeds that you list are very different. Are you going for look or breed characteristics and temperment?[/QUOTE]

I know that presa need alot of work but im positive that in that experiences i had with dogs, that i could do it. And i know that the breeds listed above are all very different, and no im not only going for the looks. Ive done some researches on all of these dogs and met with owners of those breeds and i have also seen many other breeds, but these are the ones that really interest me.

BenMax April 6th, 2011 03:51 PM

No one can tell you what you should own actually. If you know alot about these breeds and are an experienced owner, then you know what suits your lifestyle and how to fulfill the dog's needs to reach his/her full potential.

BastienBully April 6th, 2011 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;1001052]No one can tell you what you should own actually. If you know alot about these breeds and are an experienced owner, then you know what suits your lifestyle and how to fulfill the dog's needs to reach his/her full potential.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but i was more wondering what you guys think about these breeds? From past experience or knowledge. But thanks :)

BenMax April 6th, 2011 03:59 PM

I have handled each one of these breeds. The most difficult was the presa and the bull terrier.
Again - it depends on what you want in a dog.

erykah1310 April 6th, 2011 04:13 PM

There is no such thing as a "king Doberman" ;)

What exactly are you looking for in another dog?

Melinda April 6th, 2011 04:19 PM

you also have to look at your lifestyle and where the dog will fit into it.

hedgiemama April 6th, 2011 04:19 PM

Bull terriers are not highly biddable dogs, so training may not be the easiest with this breed.

Perhaps a bit more research so you can find the breed that best suits you. Or maybe go look in a shelter ? :)

shirley1011 April 6th, 2011 04:21 PM

Be sure to adopt...then you can take for a test drive.

kathryn April 6th, 2011 04:40 PM

I would assume you understand these are all hard working bully breeds that require training, and just sit, stay, shake hands.. I have experience with many many breeds of dogs just from shelter work and being at a pet store (we do NOT sell dogs, I am talking about dogs that come in to visit :) ) And of course my advice would to be to not [U]BUY[/U] any type of dog but to [B]ADOPT[/B] a homeless pet in need :thumbs up Many of the bully breeds you mentioned are persecuted by the general public and are the first to be put down in kill shelters. Many shelters will not even adopt bully breeds out at all!

The dogs you listed all have the tendency to be strong headed too, where they do what they want until you train them otherwise.. and being that they are MASSIVE dogs, it is difficult to tell them otherwise if they REALLY want to do something!

If you are looking for a bully breed but this is your first time owning one, I would highly recommend you adopt a medium sized pit bull/staffy to start out.

[url]http://www.pinupsforpitbulls.com/#/education/4526054296[/url]

[url]http://badrap.org/rescue/owning.html[/url]

[url]http://www.dontbullymybreed.org/[/url]

Here are some pits up for adoption in Canada (I just picked Vancouver because it was an example)

[url]http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?pet_breed=Pit+Bull+Terrier&animal_type=Dog&location=Vancouver%2C+BC[/url]

[U]16,121 matching pets[/U] lots of bully breeds up for adoption! :thumbs up

BenMax April 6th, 2011 04:43 PM

Kathryn - Bastien lives in Ontario where there is a Amstaff/pitbull ban. He can only own one if it has been grandfathered there.
Also - any breed that remotely resembles a bully will be and can be confiscated and destroyed.

kathryn April 6th, 2011 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;1001066]Kathryn - Bastien lives in Ontario where there is a Amstaff/pitbull ban. He can only own one if it has been grandfathered there.
Also - any breed that remotely resembles a bully will be and can be confiscated and destroyed.[/QUOTE]

Oh really? I didn't really think that stuff like that was enforced in Canada :shrug: Sorry! We don't have that anywhere that I live surprisingly.

Presa would be a bad idea then, same with bulldogs and bull terriers. I am not personally a fan of doberman's just from my experience (almost have been bitten by a few).. my mom had one AGES ago, she loved the dog. I know it has alot to do with the owner though.

Hmm. well perhaps some kind of mastiff? But then again, those are often mistaken for "pitbulls".

BenMax April 6th, 2011 04:56 PM

Bull terriers have not been banned...yet. Even some boxer X labs that have big heads and ears at the top of the head can fall under this ridiculous 'breed ban'. So you are right...there is a very fine line based on what a dog looks like. Sad but true.

Masha April 6th, 2011 05:30 PM

From all the breeds that you have listed, i have experience with the doberman breed (as someone mentioned above, there is no such thing as king doberman -- if someone tries to sell you a 'king' doberman, run the other way) and i found that even though they can be a bit strong headed, they are very eager to work with you and with consisten training can make for great family pets. I am a big fan of this breed.

14+kitties April 6th, 2011 05:40 PM

Ummm, just a thought. Instead of buying why not consider rescuing? That way you will know the temperament you will be dealing with and you will still have time to spend with your puppy you have. Have you moved to your new place yet? Are you still going outside with Bully every time he goes out? :fingerscr

BastienBully April 7th, 2011 07:27 AM

Thanks guys for all your inputs! :) Its really helping me make a decision. Just an update on what i plan to do now: ill go to some shelters around here and see if there is any dogs that fit my lifestyle.

And again for the training part, im not the kind of guy to give up if im having trouble training my dog. I would do anything for the dog to be happy and have a good temper.

mummummum April 7th, 2011 07:35 AM

[QUOTE=Bastien;1001258]Thanks guys for all your inputs! :) Its really helping me make a decision. Just an update on what i plan to do now: [B]ill go to some shelters around here and see if there is any dogs that fit my lifestyle.[/B]

And again for the training part, im not the kind of guy to give up if im having trouble training my dog. I would do anything for the dog to be happy and have a good temper.[/QUOTE]

:clap::clap::clap::thankyou: Well done Bastien!!!!!

BenMax April 7th, 2011 08:03 AM

[QUOTE=mummummum;1001259]:clap::clap::clap::thankyou: Well done Bastien!!!!![/QUOTE]

I agree.:thumbs up You will be surprised how many breeds are at the shelters. Some are mixed and others are not. Regardless, giving an animal a second chance is the most 'feel good' experience that you will ever have. You will also be absolutely amazed.

BastienBully April 26th, 2011 12:42 PM

Ok well im not adopting a dog from the shealter but close... Ive spoken to this guy that has Cane Corso's and by mistake his 2 dogs "made baby's" lol He does not want to keep them or sell them so he said he would take them to a dog shealter... The way i see it its almost like rescuing a puppy from the dog pound if they are going to end up there anyways... i got a couple of my friends and family to take a puppy as well so they dont end up there :)

Btw The puppy's are not born yet so it wont be for another while.

And i know you guys are going to say thats why you need to get your dogs spayed and what not... but his 2 dogs are show dogs so...

Loki Love April 26th, 2011 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=Bastien;1006439]And i know you guys are going to say thats why you need to get your dogs spayed and what not... but his 2 dogs are show dogs so...[/QUOTE]

Loki is a show dog and obviously not neutered either. However that said - if one cannot handle the responsibility of owning not only one intact dog, but two intact dogs of the opposite sex then they probably shouldn't be keeping both dogs. Just my opinion. I'm glad he's not trying to sell the puppies at least.

kathryn April 26th, 2011 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=Bastien;1006439]Ok well im not adopting a dog from the shealter but close... Ive spoken to this guy that has Cane Corso's and by mistake his 2 dogs "made baby's" lol He does not want to keep them or sell them so he said he would take them to a dog shealter... The way i see it its almost like rescuing a puppy from the dog pound if they are going to end up there anyways... i got a couple of my friends and family to take a puppy as well so they dont end up there :)

Btw The puppy's are not born yet so it wont be for another while.

And i know you guys are going to say thats why you need to get your dogs spayed and what not... but his 2 dogs are show dogs so...[/QUOTE]

Ut-oh, ALWAYS watch out for those "opps" people!!! They are usually BADDDDDD business!! If they aren't at term or anything yet, you can always suggest to the person that they can just spay the dog, and that way since he clearly doesn't want puppies, he can save some lives by not bringing more animals into this already overpopulated world? :shrug: Show animals mean nothing.. papers mean nothing and do NOT guarantee health at all! Amira, my little rescued sphynx, has CFA papers!! But she is in AWFUL health and will probably die in a few months if not a couple years from being SOOO poorly bred. CFA papers are cat equivalent of having AKC papers...

I have find that the VAST majority of the "opps my dog/cat had babies" people are repeat offenders.. so just be careful!!! They just keep saying "i'll get around to spaying her" and never do, and each time when they have free puppies/kittens they know that they are able to get rid of them easily because people keep coming back for them... and it turns into a vicious cycle.

Also, just make sure when you get a pup, from where ever he or she may be from, don't take the puppy until atleast 8 weeks of age if possible... 8-12 is best. Ask about what shots are going to be done first, what dewormers are going to be done and ask for an adoption contract outlining everything if possible. Many of the "opps" people also don't want to take the effort to get any medical care for the pups/kits once born and often innocent people trying to do the right thing such as yourself get stuck with BIGG vet bills.. So just watch out!! We don't want to see anything bad happening to your puppy adopting experience :grouphug:

I think there is a poem floating around somewhere about "free" animals that might provide some insight. I can't find it for the life of me though :loser:

BastienBully April 26th, 2011 01:28 PM

[QUOTE=kathryn;1006446]Ut-oh, ALWAYS watch out for those "opps" people!!! They are usually BADDDDDD business!! If they aren't at term or anything yet, you can always suggest to the person that they can just spay the dog, and that way since he clearly doesn't want puppies, he can save some lives by not bringing more animals into this already overpopulated world? :shrug: Show animals mean nothing.. papers mean nothing and do NOT guarantee health at all! Amira, my little rescued sphynx, has CFA papers!! But she is in AWFUL health and will probably die in a few months if not a couple years from being SOOO poorly bred. CFA papers are cat equivalent of having AKC papers...

I have find that the VAST majority of the "opps my dog/cat had babies" people are repeat offenders.. so just be careful!!! They just keep saying "i'll get around to spaying her" and never do, and each time when they have free puppies/kittens they know that they are able to get rid of them easily because people keep coming back for them... and it turns into a vicious cycle.

Also, just make sure when you get a pup, from where ever he or she may be from, don't take the puppy until atleast 8 weeks of age if possible... 8-12 is best. Ask about what shots are going to be done first, what dewormers are going to be done and ask for an adoption contract outlining everything if possible. Many of the "opps" people also don't want to take the effort to get any medical care for the pups/kits once born and often innocent people trying to do the right thing such as yourself get stuck with BIGG vet bills.. So just watch out!! We don't want to see anything bad happening to your puppy adopting experience :grouphug:

I think there is a poem floating around somewhere about "free" animals that might provide some insight. I can't find it for the life of me though :loser:[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you say 100%! :D But this person is a friend of a friend and its the first time that something like that happens to him, he was gone for the weekend and the person in charge of the dogs (wich was aware not to let them be together when in heat) left the door open etc...

The puppy's will have all ther first shots and will not leave ther mother until the age of 10 weeks... There will be no papers made, but that's the least of my worries.

Melinda April 26th, 2011 01:46 PM

once you get this pup, how many dogs will you have then? I'm confused

BastienBully April 26th, 2011 01:52 PM

[QUOTE=Melinda;1006457]once you get this pup, how many dogs will you have then? I'm confused[/QUOTE]

2 haha, i know alot of people are confused because i always post pictures of Bully and friends lol

Melinda April 26th, 2011 01:53 PM

ohhh ok, I thought the sister or friend that had one of the pups lived with you, ok, now I got it *S*

BastienBully April 26th, 2011 02:44 PM

[QUOTE=Melinda;1006462]ohhh ok, I thought the sister or friend that had one of the pups lived with you, ok, now I got it *S*[/QUOTE]

Well there was one that was just living with us for a couple of weeks but thats it. Only one dog in the house for now hehe

erykah1310 April 26th, 2011 03:26 PM

Multi dog homes in excess are not something to worry about :D

I wont comment on the amount of things about these pups that gets me a little irked because well... what's done is done right.
Hope to see lots of pics upon arrival ;)

BastienBully April 26th, 2011 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=erykah1310;1006474]Multi dog homes in excess are not something to worry about :D

I wont comment on the amount of things about these pups that gets me a little irked because well... what's done is done right.
Hope to see lots of pics upon arrival ;)[/QUOTE]

I will make sure to post pictures! :) As long as everything goes well, i seem to have a bad luck lately :wall:

Shaykeija April 26th, 2011 09:49 PM

I have a friend that lives in Toronto and he bought a Cane Corso from a guy. His dogs "accidentally bred" and he sold them. I told my friend I had a bad feeling about this pup but I could not talk him out of not buying it. The pup grew fast and big. The pup had a seizure and bit my friend up by the throat. Another inch and the main artery would have been severed. He had the pup checked out at the guelph hospital and thousands of dollars later..no answers. A few week went by and the dog had another episode. He was confined to a room and attacked everything in there. They had to put him down..My Friend was devastated. He has always had rotties so he was used to big dogs. Because of the pit bull ban in Ontario, we will be seeing more of these dogs cropping up. These are a lot bigger and a lot more stronger than a pit.