Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Movies - T.V. - Videos (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   United 93 (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26386)

Shamrock May 2nd, 2006 03:10 PM

United 93

It goes without saying that this film is bound to be intense, and disturbing. I had some trepidation about seeing it .. but read excellent reviews.

It was indeed extremely well-done -a non-sensational..and non-political recreation of this tragic event.

I just wasnt quite prepared for "how" intense" it would be.
The person I saw it with said she could hardly get out of her seat at the end.
40 minutes into this.. I wasnt sure I could stay in mine.
SO "real", so claustrophobic, so anxiety- producing - I had an overwhelming urge to flee.

A remarkable film,but the experience was something of an ordeal.

Wondered if anyone else had seen it ...and your views on it? Some say it is too soon for such a movie, others feel it shouldnt have been made at all.

Rick C May 2nd, 2006 03:40 PM

I will probably see it in time . . . . . I admit I don't particularly want to see it as I'm not a fan of watching tragedies. They're depressing!!!

But then I always try to keep in front of me the response LIFE Magazine gave readers after complaints of printing graphic photos of American and British casualties in an issue in 1944:

[I]"Dead men have indeed died in vain if live men are afraid to look upon them."[/I]

So, I'll probably see it . . . . squirming and claustrophobic in my seat just as you were.

Rick C
[url]www.goldentales.ca[/url]

chico2 May 2nd, 2006 03:53 PM

I will probably see it,in a way they are honouring the courage of the people who stood up to the terrorists,even though they knew for certain they were going to die.
I will never forget that horrific day:sad:

pomsx2 May 3rd, 2006 08:22 AM

I have mixed emotions on seeing this movie..I do and dont wanna see it...:confused:

Luba May 3rd, 2006 10:17 AM

[QUOTE]in a way they are honouring the courage of the people who stood up to the terrorists[/QUOTE]

Does it? Are the families receiving money from the profits of the movie?

Rick C May 3rd, 2006 10:44 AM

[QUOTE=Luba]Does it? Are the families receiving money from the profits of the movie?[/QUOTE]

Does "honouring them" have to be about money?

Rick C

badger May 3rd, 2006 11:19 AM

I don't think the families stand to profit. But the filmaker spent alot of time learning about the people they had lost and incorporated this material into the film. All of the actors were virtually unknown, he didn't want it to be 'star-driven'; and many of the air-traffic controllers play themselves. He apparently took no extreme liberties with the terrorists, which one would think would be a huge temptation, to make them into absolute monsters. I don't think his effort could have been any more sincere. Personally, I don't have a problem with it being made, now or later, and I think the money is irrelevant.
Not sure I could sit through it though. Think I'll wait for the DVD so I can pace, or bawl, or whatever, in private.

Luvmypit May 3rd, 2006 01:58 PM

Ok tell me something. I saw this movie already on TV, It was called the same thing as far as I know. So I dont get it why is it in theatres?
Or did they make a made for TV one? Or did they put on TV for canadians and in theatres more for americans...

Or am I confusing the movies. Honestly I don't think I am.

It shows the trailer on TV and there are the same scenes in the trailor in the movie I saw on TV

chico2 May 3rd, 2006 02:12 PM

Luvmypit,it is not the same movie,only the same subject.
I saw it on TV too,but this one was a made-for-TV-movie,the one in the theater is another thing all together,probably better made..

Luvmypit May 3rd, 2006 02:50 PM

Ok I wondered why everyone was paying $ to see it and I was the only smart one to just watch on TV. I knew I couldn't be that smart,..... :D

Thanks Chico

chico2 May 3rd, 2006 03:22 PM

Oh well:D :D
As for the famlies getting any money,I am pretty sure they did,after all,their family names were used and there had been interviews reguarding the phone-calls.

Luba May 3rd, 2006 03:30 PM

[QUOTE]Does "honouring them" have to be about money?[/QUOTE]

Then why make a film that will profit in the millions to the film makers?

Why not a simple non profit documentary on public television?

Rick C May 3rd, 2006 03:31 PM

I think the families got a lot of money in class action lawsuit - or they will - but I would doubt they'd get anything from the filmmaker unless a few were hired as consultants.

And honestly, they probably wouldn't demand a fee just to tell their story in this instance.

My thoughts.

Rick C

Prin May 4th, 2006 10:01 PM

[QUOTE=Luba]Then why make a film that will profit in the millions to the film makers?

Why not a simple non profit documentary on public television?[/QUOTE]
I felt the same way about "Karla". If it's really about telling "their" story, I don't understand why they keep the profits.

That's not to say the movies shouldn't be made, but they shouldn't be made on the backs of people in pain. JMO.

I don't know if I'll ever see this one. I don't like watching true tragedies. It's not entertainment to me if it really happened to somebody else.