Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   mini dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83431)

nancyeob February 9th, 2013 11:47 AM

mini dogs

I have never had mini dogs until now. I'm usually a big dog owner, GreyHounds, Newfoundlands. I was wondering if there are any major differences in training a mini vs a maxi?

Jull February 9th, 2013 12:37 PM

I have 2 small breed dogs, I really don't see any difference from having any other medium/big dog, except you have to make sure not to step on them :laughing:

They are very cuddly, all dogs are, but small dogs really like to be on your lap a lot, I have noticed they also have more sensitive stomachs but it also depends on the breed... what breed is your dog? and how small is he/she going to be fully grown? As far as I have read and been told any dog that is under 5 lbs could mean a few health problems in the future.

As for training, there is really no difference, but remember that even once fully trained, they cannot hold it as much as a bigger dog would.

Marty11 February 9th, 2013 04:35 PM

Ha Ha, don't step on them..........They are definately on your furniture more, they are pickier eaters sometimes. Little longer in potty training I find. Much easier to cart around in your car!!!! I've always had big dogs, like dobies, boxers, mastiff, retrievers etc....I can say I like the little ones, I don't think I would have a toy breed though, afraid to hurt it....

Barkingdog February 9th, 2013 05:56 PM

[QUOTE=Jull;1053619]I have 2 small breed dogs, I really don't see any difference from having any other medium/big dog, except you have to make sure not to step on them :laughing:

They are very cuddly, all dogs are, but small dogs really like to be on your lap a lot, I have noticed they also have more sensitive stomachs but it also depends on the breed... what breed is your dog? and how small is he/she going to be fully grown? As far as I have read and been told any dog that is under 5 lbs could mean a few health problems in the future.

As for training, there is really no difference, but remember that even once fully trained, they cannot hold it as much as a bigger dog would.[/QUOTE]

Small white dogs are very sensitive , I found this out recently . I know Marty does not like me to stand right over him when I put his harness on him. I have to bend way down or have him jump onto the couch.
Oh boy , I am guilty of stepping on poor doggie, I have to remind myself to look down especially when I am cooking as Marty is a Piggypoo and always around when he smell food.

Jull February 9th, 2013 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=Marty11;1053626]Ha Ha, don't step on them..........They are definately on your furniture more, they are pickier eaters sometimes. Little longer in potty training I find. Much easier to cart around in your car!!!! I've always had big dogs, like dobies, boxers, mastiff, retrievers etc....I can say I like the little ones, I don't think I would have a toy breed though, afraid to hurt it....[/QUOTE]

Yes thats true my older dog its a very picky eater, though since we got guero he has gotten better with that, guero will eat anything you put in front him :laughing:

nancyeob February 10th, 2013 10:29 AM

Thank you for your responses. The two I have are miniature schnauzers. The, not stepping on, has been priority. Lol They are crate trained and can "hold" it for eight hours a night. Pretty good for one month old.

Marycv March 1st, 2013 03:49 PM

hi

I've had small dogs and big dogs. When talking about training, I think it is the same way. It depends on the breed, some are calm and others are hyper. The hyper ones I find are harder to train.

nancyeob March 2nd, 2013 12:38 PM

Thank you all for your experienced opinions! My puppies are learning the way ofof the world but we are still working on the potty training. Used to dogs with larger bladders. Lol
Any advise on feeding? They are on Purina puppy chow now and love it.

Barkingdog March 2nd, 2013 01:52 PM

[QUOTE=nancyeob;1054565]Thank you all for your experienced opinions! My puppies are learning the way ofof the world but we are still working on the potty training. Used to dogs with larger bladders. Lol
Any advise on feeding? They are on Purina puppy chow now and love it.[/QUOTE]

My vet told me not to follow the feeding instructions on the bags of dried dog food as the companies want you buy more food and will tell you to feed your dog more food than they need. I would be careful using Purina pet food ,it has been recalled as the ingredients came from China .

nancyeob March 3rd, 2013 03:31 PM

Thank you, thank you. Never thought that Purina was made in China. Have to be careful with everything nowadays! :thumbs up

Jull March 4th, 2013 09:09 AM

Its all about personal choice, when I first got my yorkie X I used to feed him kibble, but I just didn't feel like it was doing him any good, so after a lot reading I decided to switch him to raw, and I also cook for him and I have definitely seen improvements in his health. Now that we got the second puppy we just started him feeding him the same as soon as he came home and never had any problems with him adjusting to it.

Yes, like Barkingdog said you want to do some research on the food before hand, with so many recalls now day and making sure all the ingredients meet your puppy's needs.

nancyeob March 5th, 2013 09:52 AM

I'd like to thank each and everyone for your helpful responses. This site and its people are fabulous!:goodvibes: