Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Senior dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   What is wrong with my 11 yr old Jack Russell's Tail? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81808)

Susanscl August 6th, 2012 09:30 PM

What is wrong with my 11 yr old Jack Russell's Tail?

Hey everyone... Well, my sweet girl Reggie, who is 11 yrs old this month has been acting very strange. A couple of weeks ago she started holding her tail (docked) to one side, and sort of scooting sideways. She only did it for one day, she was fine for 4 or 5 days and now she has started doing it again. She is a little overweight, and I thought it might be because the fleas have been so bad here in GA, USA this year, and she can't reach back there to scratch or bite (which I have been doing for her - scratching not biting lol). She will still give a try at running but not for long, and sometimes she has a hard time squatting to pee pee. I have seen her back leg(s) shake just a tiny bit. I am just not sure what this could be... It's not a consistent thing, it isn't always 24 hr there, and after she has a bath she feels better. I don't know, I just worry about her and love her sooo much. Any help or suggestions would be helpful. My Reggie appreciates it and so do I.

growler~GateKeeper August 6th, 2012 10:56 PM

Scooting as in rubbing her behind on the carpet?

Has she had her anal glands checked?

Susanscl August 7th, 2012 06:42 AM

I've wondered if it could be her anal glands. She doesn't seem to have any swelling around her anus. And she will just sort of walk a little sideways, not scoot on the floor.

Barkingdog August 7th, 2012 10:40 AM

[QUOTE=Susanscl;1044061]Hey everyone... Well, my sweet girl Reggie, who is 11 yrs old this month has been acting very strange. A couple of weeks ago she started holding her tail (docked) to one side, and sort of scooting sideways. She only did it for one day, she was fine for 4 or 5 days and now she has started doing it again. She is a little overweight, and I thought it might be because the fleas have been so bad here in GA, USA this year, and she can't reach back there to scratch or bite (which I have been doing for her - scratching not biting lol). She will still give a try at running but not for long, and sometimes she has a hard time squatting to pee pee. I have seen her back leg(s) shake just a tiny bit. I am just not sure what this could be... It's not a consistent thing, it isn't always 24 hr there, and after she has a bath she feels better. I don't know, I just worry about her and love her sooo much. Any help or suggestions would be helpful. My Reggie appreciates it and so do I.[/QUOTE]

Maybe she is getting arthritis if she is having a hard squatting to pee. Did the vet see her yet?

Kasianni August 7th, 2012 04:18 PM

I just can not say this enough...when in doubt..see...your...vet!:)

marko August 8th, 2012 08:12 AM

First thing that comes to mind with scooting is anal glad issues. I second a vet visit on this one.