Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Kitten health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Feral kittens and fleas (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73157)

mickeysmomma October 18th, 2010 06:11 AM

Feral kittens and fleas

Hey Guys I'm hoping someone can help me out.We have 2 feral kittens that have decided to make our balcony home.We have it blocked off so our adult cats can't get away but these kittens fit thru the tiniest spot!!! Last night we saw them in our cat tent on our fabric camping chair curled up sleeping.We couldn't shoo them away because it's getting cold and they looked mighty comfy.The woman downstairs was supposed to be bringing them to the SPCA but she has yet.
My question is for the time being the back balcony is off limits to our kitties because we're afraid the have fleas,ear mites,worms the works!! I'm going to take them to the SPCA this week myself because it's getting way too cold out there.Is there any way to clean the balcony to rid it of fleas.The fabrics tent is going in the garbage and most likely I won't try to salvage the chair either.I would just like to be extra sure that the balcony is clean.Anyone have any ideas???:shrug:
Thanks

sugarcatmom October 18th, 2010 07:28 AM

Diatomaceous earth and/or a borate product will probably do the trick:
[url]http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig106[/url]
[url]http://eartheasy.com/live_natural_flea_control.html[/url]

How old are the kittens? Do you know for sure that they're feral? What is your SPCA's policy on ferals? Many just euthanize cats that aren't friendly enough for adoption - you might want to make sure that's not the case before turning them over. If the kittens are too old to be socialized, perhaps contacting an organization that will TNR them is a better idea.

mickeysmomma October 18th, 2010 07:39 AM

Good Morning SCM! Well our SPCA is a no kill shelter...so I'm assuming that they will find them a home,otherwise they keep them there. Yes,I'm sure they're feral I would say they are maximum 4 months old.I first saw them around the middle of August but they were keeping their distance till recently.
My hubby said we could keep them but I just don't have the resources to have them and take care of the 2 we already have.Plus there have been some many changes in Mickey and Gigi's lives lately I really don't think it would be fair :(
Thanks for the links I'm going to check them out :)

mikischo October 18th, 2010 07:54 AM

Thanks for looking out for these kitties.:)

I take it you plan to take them to the SPCA Monteregie? As far as I know that is the only no-kill SPCA in your area.

mickeysmomma October 18th, 2010 08:50 AM

Yes,thats where I'm taking them...when I can get my hands on them lol!!! They seem to come around at 9 at night then disappear in the daytime.It's like they know :laughing: I have been told by a few friends that SPCA Monteregie is not taking anymore cats ..period!!! But trust me they will take these 2.I assume that kittens are adopted out faster than adult cats so I have my:fingerscr that they will agree to take them.I've been calling all morning and can not get an answer though.

sugarcatmom October 18th, 2010 11:23 AM

[QUOTE=mickeysmomma;959797]Well our SPCA is a no kill shelter...so I'm assuming that they will find them a home,otherwise they keep them there. [/quote]

I would still ask what their policy is regarding ferals. They may be no-kill, but often that "no-kill" moniker only applies to [U]adoptable[/U] pets. Feral cats are not necessarily adoptable. Plus, the stress on a feral cat of being cooped up indefinitely can be very detrimental to their health and wellbeing, making them even less adoptable as time goes on. It's often kinder to TNR a truly feral cat than it is to send them to a shelter, even a no-kill one.

[QUOTE=mickeysmomma;959804]I assume that kittens are adopted out faster than adult cats so I have my:fingerscr that they will agree to take them. [/QUOTE]

If they're friendly, yes that's usually the case. But if they are freaked out by people (and most ferals are) and there isn't someone (ie foster home) available to try to socialize them, then their adoption potential drops dramatically.

BenMax October 18th, 2010 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;959846]I would still ask what their policy is regarding ferals. They may be no-kill, but often that "no-kill" moniker only applies to [U]adoptable[/U] pets. Feral cats are not necessarily adoptable. Plus, the stress on a feral cat of being cooped up indefinitely can be very detrimental to their health and wellbeing, making them even less adoptable as time goes on. It's often kinder to TNR a truly feral cat than it is to send them to a shelter, even a no-kill one.

If they're friendly, yes that's usually the case. But if they are freaked out by people (and most ferals are) and there isn't someone (ie foster home) available to try to socialize them, then their adoption potential drops dramatically.[/QUOTE]

Very good points Sugarcatmom. Also, if this is a no kill shelter it is really putting the burdeon on them on making a decision on whether just keep for the sake of keeping or euthanize because they are feral. Very sad situation. There are organizations in the Montreal area that will assist in TNR....and in some cases it's free. (Though I would suggest a donation to assist them for future cases..(or rather daily cases)).

mickeysmomma October 18th, 2010 12:08 PM

Sorry I'm going to sound like such a :loser: but whats a TNR???
I will check on their policy though...these kittens seem to be getting more and more used to humans since the woman downstairs started feeding them.I wish she would take them in but she already has 3 cats and I believe she is on a fixed income :( That would definately make my life easier because everytime I see them I want to keep them:lovestruck:

aslan October 18th, 2010 12:16 PM

TNR= trap neuter release..

mickeysmomma October 18th, 2010 02:04 PM

God I'm such a dork!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:
But won't it be kind of cold for them outside this winter???

Where could I find a place in Montreal that would do this for free??

14+kitties October 18th, 2010 02:11 PM

Check it out for ideas..........

[url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73129[/url]

mickeysmomma October 18th, 2010 03:30 PM

That is a great idea:highfive: I could totally make the rubbermaid container one I have tons of those things.I will just need to speak with my landlord to be sure that it will be ok with him.I can't see how it makes much of a difference though...they're already here anyways!!
Now to find somewhere that would help me with the neutering at a good price.

sugarcatmom October 18th, 2010 03:33 PM

[QUOTE=mickeysmomma;959889]Now to find somewhere that would help me with the neutering at a good price.[/QUOTE]

Try contacting [url=http://www.steri-animal.org/home_eng.html]Steri-Animal[/url] and see what they can help you with.

Here's an interesting (and recent) article on the subject:
[url]http://www.mcgilltribune.com/features/there-s-more-than-one-way-to-save-a-feral-cat-1.1686528?pagereq=1[/url]

mikischo October 18th, 2010 04:47 PM

I am going to open up a can of worms here. Certainly TNR is a great solution when you are dealing with feral cats and certainly can often the most viable option. However, bear in mind it is a long term commitment. You are going to be making the commitment to be the guardian for these kitties and provide them with the necessities of life. Under the right conditions, with proper care and food and shelter, cats can have the potential to live for many years outdoors.

I noticed that you are renting an apartment. One of my concerns would be, how long do you expect to live where you are now and what will happen to these kitties if you should move? Would there be someone else willing to take over the responsibility for their care after you leave?

The other option would be if someone were willing to socialize them so they would be adoptable. You say these kitties are likely no more than 4 months old. Kittens can be socialized most effortlessly when they are under 8 weeks old. However older kittens can also be socialized if someone is willing and able to put in the effort. If you feel that you will not be able to make a long term commitment to these kittens, you might still want to contact some rescues and tell them the situation and see what options they can suggest or even whether or not they may be able to take them on.

mickeysmomma October 18th, 2010 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow these are some really good points! Not that I have any intention on going anywhere anytime soon but it is something to consider.The lady in the basement has been feeding them up till now (we're just a soft place to :sleepy:) but she is an older woman.
I guess this is one that I will have to sleep on and come up with a solution in the morning.I tried to approach one of the kittens that I've named Rocky today but she ran...not far mind you and she kept watching me. This is a picture I took the first day I saw them.

Love4himies October 18th, 2010 06:19 PM

These kittens are just babies and really need a shelter. Hopefully somebody from the Mtl area will help you, they need to be brought inside.

mickeysmomma October 18th, 2010 07:06 PM

They are just babies.Granted this pic was taken about 2 months ago.:cat:

sugarcatmom October 18th, 2010 10:07 PM

[QUOTE=mickeysmomma;959804]when I can get my hands on them lol!!![/QUOTE]

No matter what you decide to do with them, it would still be a really good idea to contact a rescue so that you can borrow a humane trap. Please don't try catching them yourself, even kittens can cause some serious damage to soft human flesh! Ideally, there's a rescue that can provide the trap, arrange for the kittens speutering and vaccinations, and assess them for adoptability.

[QUOTE=mikischo;959906]I am going to open up a can of worms here. [/quote]

Not a can of worms at all, those are very valid comments. Perhaps their care can be shared with other members of the community, like the elderly lady that's already feeding them.

[QUOTE=mikischo;959906]
However older kittens can also be socialized if someone is willing and able to put in the effort. [/QUOTE]

Ah, and that is the main issue really. Given the staggering population of feral cats in Montreal and the woeful lack of foster homes for those that are rescued, it's just not always feasible to put in that amount of effort. The older the kitten, the longer it can potentially take to reach a level of socialization acceptable for adoption. I think the Steri-Animal group has a 3 month cut-off (as in, kittens 3 months and under are socialized, older than that and they TNR). That's not to say that these 2 little ones, once safely inside and getting regular meals, won't have an "ah-ha!" moment and decide people ain't so bad. My fingers are crossed that this is what happens. :fingerscr

Anyway, mickeysmomma, I think if you can try to track down a group that's willing to help you by providing traps and access to cheap/free speuter, maybe they can also give you advice on your situation and help you decide what to do. Good luck! Let us know how everything turns out.

mikischo October 19th, 2010 05:36 AM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;959957]Anyway, mickeysmomma, I think if you can try to track down a group that's willing to help you by providing traps and access to cheap/free speuter, maybe they can also give you advice on your situation and help you decide what to do. Good luck! Let us know how everything turns out.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried to contact Steri-Animal? The following are websites for a couple of rescues you might also want to try to contact for assistance and/or advice:

[url]http://www.gerdysrescue.org/[/url]

[url]http://www.animalrescuenetwork.org/info/contact[/url]

Please continue to keep us updated.:goodvibes:

Love4himies October 19th, 2010 06:34 AM

These kittens have been exposed enough to humans that they are probably only semi feral and they can be rehabilitated, but time is of the essence now.

My Rose who was three years old when I got her from cpietra (Rose was a feral born and raised in a factory in Mtl before she was trapped) has turned out to be the most loving cat. :lovestruck:

cpietra16 October 19th, 2010 06:54 AM

I volunteer for Steri and I can tell you that we are pretty much up to our proverbial ears in kittens and cats...but don't let that stop you. please pm me.
Winter in Montreal can be cruel and these babies will need shelter and food.
the problem with helping them is that they become dependent on the helping hand and when you need to leave, they are left on their own and that may be so much more cruel on them.
Sometimes good intentions are not always the most helpful.