Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Puppy urinates when excited. What to do? Answered by N. Kitching (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=70)

petdr May 4th, 2001 07:40 PM

[b]Question:

How do I stop my puppy (six months) from peeing when she gets excited?

Answer:[/b]

As your question was very brief, we don't know the following:

1. Apartment or house
2. Crated
3. Children
4. You work
5. Puppy - large or small.

For any of the above, we recommend reverting back to house training. So you need to do:

1. Tons of outdoor trips (praise in a calm voice)
2. Crate near a door (See below for explanation)
3. The key word is *C A L M* when petting, taking it out etc.

Take note: A small dog is harder to house train and needs lots of patience. (Patience is also a key word.)
Remember to always be consistent and persistent when training your puppy.

(Crate Training review from [url="http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?threadid=60"]question #14)[/url]

The best way to housebreak (or garage break) any dog is with a crate. Very few dogs will make a mess in their crate if it is the right size. The idea is that their crate is equivalent to a wolf's den. They want to keep their special place clean. If the crate is too large and they can mess in one corner and get away to the opposite corner, they may do that. However, most dogs keep their crates clean. Put your dog in his crate whenever you can't supervise him. As soon as you let him out, take him outdoors to do his business and praise him lavishly as soon as he pees or poops. You can even reward him with treats or a toy if you want. You want him to get the idea that outdoors is where he relieves himself. If you want him to always go to the same place, then always take him there on leash so he cannot chose for himself. Never scold him for making a mistake in the house or the garage unless you catch him in the act. Dogs only make connections between actions and their consequences within a few seconds time. That's why rewards have to come so quickly for good behavior.

© Nancy Kitching 2000

Nancy Kitching
Dog Trainer Member of CAPPT, CKC, OKC (Ottawa Kennel Club),
and Bytown Obedience Club in Ottawa.
156 Fairhaven
Hudson, Quebec J0P 1H0
Tel: 450-458-3165

jacksmom October 28th, 2003 04:02 PM

Puppy urinates when seeing other dogs

My puppy is just over 8 months old and housebroken. However, whenever he sees another dog and sometimes other people, mostly people he already knows, he gets so excited, he "sprinkles." While he sometimes takes the submissive position when greeting other dogs, he is not scared. - other times he does not. On the contrary, he is just SO excited and just wants to play.

If it helps in your assessment, he is a 20 lb dacshund/terrier mix, crate-trained and I live in a condo in a high-rise building. He also goes to the door consistently to be let out - he knows not to go "potty" inside. He has been socialized frequently with other dogs and people, and since he was brought home at 10 weeks, adores other people and dogs.

Please advise :-).

Carina October 28th, 2003 10:16 PM

If it's more excitement than submissive behaviour, he may grow out of it - in the meantime keep every greeting very low key, and have others do the same - even just ignoring him until he's calmed down a bit.

Has he been through any training classes? It sounds like he could really benefit from being around other dogs in a structured environment, and learning will increase his confidence ALOT too. Often very excited play/greeting behaviour is also somewhat submissive and could indicate a lack of confidence - acting very puppy-like instead of adult.

Try teaching him an alternate behaviour for greeting people - like when he calms down (and you're all ignoring him) have him sit, offer a paw, hold something in his mouth, whatever might work with him.

It might not hurt to have a quick vet check, too - sometimes the (I can't think of the name of the muscle that controls urination) - whatchimacallit :) is somewhat weak - there are some fairly benign meds you can give short term to remedy that.

But barring any medical issues, I think a fun obedience class will really help! Actually structured obedience classes will benefit almost any dog - and he's probably pretty smart and high energy. Mental stimulation helps wear dogs out too! :)