Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Birds (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Nice day for taking bird pics (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50728)

clm March 22nd, 2008 05:10 PM

Nice day for taking bird pics

3 Attachment(s)
Would have been better if the boys were'nt constantly scaring them away. :laughing: Managed to get a few anyway, including a grackle showing his true character.

clm March 22nd, 2008 05:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
a few more including a really pudgy redwing.

Jim Hall March 22nd, 2008 06:04 PM

lol @ the redwing you wonder how it can get airborn

meg4050 March 22nd, 2008 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=Jim Hall;567133]lol @ the redwing you wonder how it can get airborn[/QUOTE]

:laughing: You think thats bad? You should see the pigeons around my condo and campus!

hazelrunpack March 22nd, 2008 08:20 PM

Must be fairly cold there--[I]all[/I] those birds are puffed, not just the blackbird. :D But hazel still feels warm because I see the field sparrows are back... :lovestruck:

[SIZE="1"]and that's one impressively mean lookin' grackle! :laughing:[/SIZE]

pbpatti March 22nd, 2008 10:40 PM

I don't know Grackles, are they of the crow/raven family? your pic does show that the bird has an agressive side to it. pbp

rainbow March 23rd, 2008 12:51 AM

Cool pics. :cool: What's the little yellow guy with the orange beak? :confused:

chico2 March 23rd, 2008 07:47 AM

Patti,Grackles are what we commonly call Blackbirds,I don't think they belong in the Crowfamily but I could be wrong.
Beautiful pics clm,I have exactly the same birds here,unfortunaely I don't have your camera:sad:

Lukka'sma March 23rd, 2008 08:57 AM

[QUOTE=rainbow;567402]Cool pics. :cool: What's the little yellow guy with the orange beak? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Female Cardinal rainbow, I keep forgetting that you don't have them on the west coast.
Great photos clm

clm March 28th, 2008 09:25 PM

[QUOTE=Lukka'sma;567481]Female Cardinal rainbow, I keep forgetting that you don't have them on the west coast.
Great photos clm[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize that there aren't any cardinals on the west coast. You learn something new everyday.

Cindy

hazelrunpack March 28th, 2008 09:36 PM

Our robins finally started straggling in two days ago. The purple finches are singing up a storm. I think I heard a bluebird this morning. :thumbs up

Still a lot of snow on the ground, though. Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie likes to sit at the bottom of the hill in the river from our melting glaciers. :dog:

SARAH March 29th, 2008 07:01 AM

I heard a male cardinal the other day when I was walking. Not only is it a pretty bird, but the song is so nice! Cheerful and promising spring and summer. I like the looks of the female too, for once she's not just a grey-looking wall-flower!

But am I right that the cardinal has a fairly large domain? I never see more than one couple within a radius larger than I can observe; and the one I heard (and saw) singing was about 10 streets away from "my" cardinal couple. (we don't have them in Europe at all, so they're pretty new to me, but I like bird watching, so I get curious about stuff like this).

No sign of the robin yet :sad: and certainly no geese!

chico2 March 29th, 2008 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sarah,we live not too far from Lake Ontario,you want to see Geese year around come here,we have tons all the time.
I got some pics somewhere,see if I can find them...I must have deleted the pics:yell:here is one from the lake though.
The other day,all of a sudden I saw Robins everywhere,they are back:thumbs up:thumbs up

Chris21711 March 29th, 2008 10:42 AM

SARAH - The Cardinals don't mind to share, I get two couples come in at the same time to the feeders. My girlfriend that lives in town sometimes has 10-12 flitting around in her yard, she has a lot of large evergreens which is what they like.

SARAH March 29th, 2008 04:55 PM

OK, so I guess my cardinal couple is just the odd-one-out :laughing: today I had Mr.C. on the table eating seeds with the sparrows while other sparrows were on the suspended feeder with the red-wing blackbird, and then a blue jaye came swooping in. Do you think I had my camera handy? Nope :sad: :frustrated:

This pretty picture was ruined by a horde of starling :yell:

Chico, I'm not crazy about the geese as such :rolleyes: just want to see them fly NORTH and announce spring!

Still, going out tonight in [B]shoes[/B], not boots, Yayy ! :D finally.

clm March 29th, 2008 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=SARAH;571118]
Still, going out tonight in [B]shoes[/B], not boots, Yayy ! :D finally.[/QUOTE]

Nice to be able to wear shoes again. Unfortunately need rubber boots in the back yard.....some serious mud going on out there. :yell:

Cindy