Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Dirty Nose (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84684)

mybubbles65 October 19th, 2013 04:02 PM

Dirty Nose

I just got an almost seven month old kitten. Every few days he has a dirty nose that I have to clean. Inside his nose at the edge, a brown dirt. It's like dried boogers. Thoughts? Is it normal? He does sneeze once and awhile but nothing extreme.

Barkingdog October 19th, 2013 07:15 PM

Is the kitten nose running and how does it eyes looks ? The new pet should be seen by vet just to made sure it has no health issues.

mybubbles65 October 19th, 2013 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=Barkingdog;1062200]Is the kitten nose running and how does it eyes looks ? The new pet should be seen by vet just to made sure it has no health issues.[/QUOTE]

No runny nose or eyes. Just the dirty nose every few days.

Barkingdog October 20th, 2013 10:32 AM

I still feel any new pet should be seen by vet , it could need shots or have it shots up dated , and a stool example should tested for worms.

sugarcatmom October 20th, 2013 12:35 PM

Could be a mild upper respiratory infection (URI), which appears during times of stress (a new home would be a stressful situation). The majority of cats carry one of more of the viruses that cause URI symptoms (herpes and calici virus being the most common). Maintaining a strong immune system by feeding the best diet you can (ie: NOT kibble) is one way to help. When symptoms do appear, you can add 500mg of L-lysine to the food once or twice a day. If nasal congestion increases, try some steam therapy several times a day: run a hot shower for 10 mins while you and your cat hang out in the bathroom. Antibiotics are usually useless in treating URIs unless there is a secondary infection, sometimes indicated by green goopy discharge from the nose or eyes.

Barkingdog October 20th, 2013 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;1062229]Could be a mild upper respiratory infection (URI), which appears during times of stress (a new home would be a stressful situation). The majority of cats carry one of more of the viruses that cause URI symptoms (herpes and calici virus being the most common). Maintaining a strong immune system by feeding the best diet you can (ie: NOT kibble) is one way to help. When symptoms do appear, you can add 500mg of L-lysine to the food once or twice a day. If nasal congestion increases, try some steam therapy several times a day: run a hot shower for 10 mins while you and your cat hang out in the bathroom. Antibiotics are usually useless in treating URIs unless there is a secondary infection, sometimes indicated by green goopy discharge from the nose or eyes.[/QUOTE]

That was why I asked how the car eyes where , if this does not help don't you think a trip to a vet would be the next step?

sugarcatmom October 20th, 2013 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=Barkingdog;1062231]That was why I asked how the car eyes where , if this does not help don't you think a trip to a vet would be the next step?[/QUOTE]

Not if symptoms are mild and the cat isn't otherwise suffering (ie. Loss of appetite, lethargic, major eye or nose discharge). Not much a vet can do, and most will just prescribe unnecessary antibiotics.

Barkingdog October 20th, 2013 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;1062246]Not if symptoms are mild and the cat isn't otherwise suffering (ie. Loss of appetite, lethargic, major eye or nose discharge). Not much a vet can do, and most will just prescribe unnecessary antibiotics.[/QUOTE]

OK, I was wondering .