Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Puppy health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Localized Demodex (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=80368)

Lyndsay March 2nd, 2012 07:21 AM

Localized Demodex

I recently adopted a three month old Corgi mix puppy. She had two hairless spots on her head which I thought were just from scrapping with the other pups at the rescue. The vet tested and she has confirmed mites. Has anyone dealt with "mild" or localized demodex? How long did you wait to see if the puppy could fight off the mites on their own before starting medicated treatment? If you waited, did you try to use any supplements to increase the immune system?

I'd appreciate advice from someone who has experience - thanks!

hazelrunpack March 2nd, 2012 09:07 AM

One of our rescue girls arrived with localized demodex mange. We didn't wait to treat, just started with Goodwinol ointment and used an omega-3/omega-6 oil supplement to boost her immune system. The oil we used was lipiderm, but any omega-6 supplement will bolster the immune system.

If your vet thinks it's okay to wait a bit before treatment it could be that he didn't find enough mites to confirm mange (it's normal for pups to get the mites from their dams, but unless they get out of hand the mites are usually not a problem). Just watch the spots closely for in increase in size (measure them with a ruler now so you'll have a base size) or for additional spots popping up. If the spots grow or if you see more develop, I'd talk to your vet and get a topical treatment right away to prevent it from getting more serious.

Lyndsay March 2nd, 2012 06:20 PM

Thanks Hazel! My vet had given me the option to either wait and see if it clears or to start her on Ivermectin. Unfortunately the clinic no longer provides a topical treatment. From what I can see this is an off lable use for Ivermectin and some dogs have a sensitivity to the drug and can die - seems a little harsh for something that clears up on its own the majority of times in puppies! Have you used and/or heard of anyone who has treated their puppies with Ivermectin?

hazelrunpack March 2nd, 2012 08:05 PM

Ivermectin is more often used in stubborn cases or when the areas that are affected are quite extensive.

If your vet would agree to write a prescription for something like Goodwinol you should be able to order it online. It's cheaper that way, too. I think I'd be a little leery of trying ivermectin for a less severe case.

DarKevs March 2nd, 2012 09:49 PM

usually as their immune systems mature they can better fight off the overabundance of mites..............usually. :)

if you find that the demodectic mite 'spots' are multiplying, getting bigger etc., youmay need to intervene.

you could try this...............get some lavender essential oil and a few lemons........alternate rubbing the spots one day with lavender ess. oil (just a drop), the next day with lemon juice..........it is said to disocurage the mites from 'gathering'.

Good luck with your pup.

Lyndsay March 3rd, 2012 06:41 AM

Thanks!

Once the vet opens today, I'm going to find out why they no longer provide any topical treatment and see if they will write a prescription for goodwinol (or something similar if we don't have it in Canada). If not, I'll start her on the lavendar oil/lemon routine. If the spots worsen or multiply, I guess I'd just have to suck it up and get the Ivermectin treatment if thats the only option. I'll let everyone know how this works out.

Lyndsay March 22nd, 2012 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a follow-up - The clinic was unfortunately not able to compound Goodwinol as it is no longer available in Canada. The vet agreed with me that the Invermectin would be a little harsh for a localized case of demodex and we decided to wait and keep an eye on it. Carley had a follow-up this week and has started hair regrowth on her original bald spots. While she has a couple new balding areas, the vet said she believes that Carley's immune system will be able ot fight off the mites with no medical intervention. We continue to keep an eye on it and she has another follow-up in a few weeks.

Lyndsay April 16th, 2012 01:14 PM

Carley 1 Mites 0

Carley has recently had a mite-free skin scrape! She returns to the vet in a few weeks and if that one is clear they consider her to have beaten the mites! She (and I) are quite happy that it resolved without the need of Ivermectin. Thanks for the help!

hazelrunpack April 16th, 2012 04:41 PM

Hurray!!! :D And holy catz, is she a cutie!!! :lovestruck:

MaxaLisa May 31st, 2012 02:37 PM

She is a cutie!

I would also work on supporting her immune system. Some vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), good food (no corn, sorghum, by-products), etc.

So glad to hear of the mite-free skin scrape!