Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Some basic questions (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56377)

globalgourmand September 10th, 2008 12:14 AM

Some basic questions

Since I'm still relatively new to having a cat, I have a few basic things that have been trolling around in my mind...

I sometimes notice my cat scratching or biting himself lightly. It's not frequent however I do notice it pretty much daily. The scratching is never vigorous or persistent or in the same spot, so I'm inclined to assume he gets normal itches just like me. But still, I'd just like to be sure. [U]Is an occasional itch normal?[/U]

He has quite an interest in my houseplants, (some of which I've had to place out-of-access due to toxicity concerns,) especially my pretty, pretty angel wing begonia. I'm pretty sure it is he who is puncturing holes in the leaves. He has also pulled leaves off my spider plant. [U]How do people satisfy their cats need/appetite for greenery aside from "catgrass?" And if you use "catgrass," do you grow your own?[/U]

Although we've bought cardboard and sisal inserts for his scratch pad, he still prefers the carpet or the couch. I've tried rubbing catnip on the scratch pad but he just rubs himself on it, drools all over it, and sleeps on it. I've wondered if its worth it to get/make a carpet insert for the pad because wouldn't he just conveniently scratch our real carpet anyhow? [U]Any tips to encouraging your cat to scratch "preferred" surfaces?[/U]

My cat often melts my heart when he does cute things like curling up and napping between my boyfriend's legs, chirping, and stretching, sleepy-eyed when he wakes up. I become suddenly obsessed with him and my heart begins to ache with cuteness. [U]When do these symptoms usually subside?[/U] ...:p

Love4himies September 10th, 2008 06:43 AM

An occasional itch is normal, but you may want to do a check for fleas. Also food allergies can cause itchy skin.

I purchase cat grass already grown as I found if I try planting it myself, then they pull it out when the grass is young.

If your kitty likes to scratch carpet, then I would purchase a sturdy cat stand that is made with carpet so he can do his thing with the stand rather than your carpet. My kitties have always prefered carpet. As for training it is best to put the stand where he is around the most. If the stand is put in a corner of a room he doesn't frequent, he may not use it. Everytime he scratches your carpet, pick him up and show him his stand. I actually demonstrate to my fosters kittens and that usually does the trick. Rubbing catnip on it will help too.

The cat love symptoms, well bad news, they don't subside over time, just get stronger ;):laughing:

Good luck and we love to see pics of kitties :cloud9:

sugarcatmom September 10th, 2008 07:27 AM

[QUOTE=globalgourmand;654831]
Although we've bought cardboard and sisal inserts for his scratch pad, he still prefers the carpet or the couch. [/QUOTE]

Just to augment Love4himies great advice, it would for sure be a good idea to get another scratching post, something nice and tall so that Crusher can really stretch when he scratches. If you can afford it and have the space and don't mind the look of "cat furniture", a cat condo can be a wonderful thing. It also allows cats to get up high and look down upon their minions, and all the jumping and climbing is great exercise.

And no, kitty-heart-melting disease is a permanent affliction for which there is no cure. :lovestruck:

globalgourmand September 15th, 2008 04:42 PM

Cats Drool?

So I've come to terms with the truth about my chronic condition and I am learning to live with kitty-heart-melting disease (KHMD). :p But my cat is respondingly strangely... when we're in a vigorous petting/scratching/cuddling session, sometimes he drools. As in; a drip from his mouth or I'll feel moisture on my hands or ankles. Is this normal? What is this? I've seen him drool with the catnip but from petting?

sugarcatmom September 15th, 2008 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=globalgourmand;657308] when we're in a vigorous petting/scratching/cuddling session, sometimes he drools. As in; a drip from his mouth or I'll feel moisture on my hands or ankles. Is this normal? What is this? I've seen him drool with the catnip but from petting?[/QUOTE]

Totally normal. A manifestation of his bliss. Consider it an honour to be anointed with his "happy spit". :D