Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question - cat poops under bed (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3224)

Brian McCord February 24th, 2004 09:00 AM

Question?

[SIZE=1]Hi all I just have a question? I have a cat that keep's going to the bathroom under my daughter's bed even though we keep his litter box clean and it is A open box type any body got a clue of what to do with him to make him stop doing this?[/SIZE] :confused: :(

Catt31 February 24th, 2004 09:04 AM

Did the previous owners of the house have a cat? It may have peed there and the cat smells it on that particular spot! Try keeping the door closed to keep the cat out of her bedroom. Also clean the spot well with a disinfectant...there are many on the market that take out cat smells from carpet and furniture. Does your cat pee anywhere else? If not, there is something on that spot that it is attracted too, you need to make it NOT attractive or NOT available for him to pee there! Good luck!!

Lucky Rescue February 24th, 2004 10:21 AM

The first thing you need to do is take him to the vet. Male cats often get urinary tract problems, and this would definitely make him avoid the litterbox.

If he checks out o.k. , we have other suggestions to offer you!

Brian McCord February 24th, 2004 04:10 PM

cat

Hi everyone thanks for your quick responses, perhaps I should clarify this more he does not pee outside of the litter box, he poops but he does go back to the same spot all of the time. We have had another cat before but I do not remember that she ever went to the bathroom outside of the litter box.:( PS He also poops in his litterbox, he does it under the bed about once a week or so, hope this clears it up.

chico2 February 24th, 2004 04:26 PM

He poops under the bed,not pee? That's unusual,strange
:confused:

Catt31 February 24th, 2004 05:36 PM

I agree - how unusual!! Have you taken him to the vet? changed his litter type or food? New member of the family? Anything different in the house?:confused:

Brian McCord February 24th, 2004 05:53 PM

cat

we did change his litter but he was doing that before we did that and he never gets the same brand of food he gets what 's on sale he seems to like what we given he eats alot.

Carina February 24th, 2004 05:59 PM

Hmmmm...this may be a dumb (or impractical) suggestion, but have you tried putting the litter box under the bed, if it'll fit?

I know having a cat box under the bed isn't everyone's choice but maybe it's easier to bring Mohammed to the mountain... :)

All I can say is cats are weird & sometimes they just get these silly notions & nobody can figure them out.

Lucky Rescue February 24th, 2004 06:54 PM

This IS odd! Is his litterbox in a high traffic area, where people are passing all the time? Cats don't like this, and if there is any commotion near the box, sometimes they'll go elsewhere.

If the box is in a private area, and there is nothing physically wrong with your cat, I would clean under the bed with something like Nature's Miracle, which removes odours, and I would lock the cat in a small room - like a bathroom - until he is retrained to use the box.

Having a second litterbox in another area may help also.

clarence February 24th, 2004 09:56 PM

I agree with lucky here,

A second litterbox in a quiet private area would be the first thing i'd try.

chico2 February 24th, 2004 11:15 PM

Cats are funny little creatures,you love them,think you know them and then......:confused: But that's why cats are mysterious and intriguing.
I keep my litter-boxes in a downstairs bathroom,when we had friends sleeping over downstairs,one of my cats peed AND pooped in our bed(my husbands side:p ).....They all had a guilty look on their faces...but we don't know who did it and it never happened again.One of them was upset because he couldn't do his business in peace.
I think they need their privacy to go the bathroom,just like us...