Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Getting A Second Puppy (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4739)

Hope33 June 3rd, 2004 10:29 AM

Getting A Second Puppy

I have a 8 (soon to be 9 month old) standard poodle FEMALE. Stella is completely trained and just perfect! On the 15th of June we're bringing home another Standard female. Is there anything I can do to make this go smoothly? I hoping this puppy's training will be as easy as Stella's was. Am I CRAZY!! :o

LavenderRott June 3rd, 2004 10:43 AM

The female that you have currently is still a pup. Adding another female into the mix may not be the best plan.

IMHO, a pair of female dogs that are close in age are not the best idea. While they may get along for quite some time, you may find that in a few years, one of them wants to be the boss. This can lead to major problems within the household, as females have a tendency to be a little more viscious when they fight then males. I have heard plenty of stories of female dogs fighting for the alpha position in the home and serious injuries occuring. Both to the dogs and to the humans who tried to stop the fight.

mona_b June 3rd, 2004 10:53 AM

I agree with Sandi.

I to have heard stories about 2 females.They may get along great now,but as they get a bit older,problems can start.We have had a couple of people that came on here and were wondering why their 2 females started to fight.One was 2 female St.Bernards and the other was 2 female boxers.

Any reason why you picked to have 2 females and not a male?

Lucky Rescue June 3rd, 2004 11:20 AM

Agree!!! Is there any way for you to get a male instead? Two bitches so close in age could fight fiercely for dominance as they get older.

A male would be so much better all around.

Hope33 June 3rd, 2004 11:47 AM

OH! Crap!!!

I knew i should have joined this site sooner!!! I just called the breeder and there are no males left!. Since I've already paid in full for this puppy, and my husband is not going to let me just blow money, any advice on how I can try to make life pleasant? I went from being excited about getting another female to fearing the idea! How can I prepare myself and Stella for her new sister? :confused:

Hope33 June 3rd, 2004 11:55 AM

Hi

I thought 2 females would be great together. What the hell was I thinking??!!!! :eek: I've never had a male, and i thought that by bringing a male in the house that it would lift it's leg and pee all over the place. (Marking his territory) I guess I didn't do enough research

LavenderRott June 3rd, 2004 11:55 AM

Would the breeder be willing to put the money towards a pup in an upcoming litter?

IMHO, you need to spend more time with the first pup before adding a new one to the mix. While Stella may behave fine now, she has yet to hit her teen years. You may find that an obedience class is a very good thing. While training her at home, on your own is wonderful, classes teach you and your dog things that you will need to know later. Proofing your dog to listen to you amidst distractions could one day save her life.

mona_b June 3rd, 2004 11:59 AM

I will have to let the others answer this.

I have only had male dogs.I have 2 males that I have had since they were 3 months old.They are 8 now.And I have never had a problem with them.

AM04 June 25th, 2004 11:10 PM

I guess you can't ask for your money back, eh? Some breeders will give back the money, just not the initial down payment they ask for. But I also suggest getting a male if u already have a female. I think waiting for the next litter is a good idea :)

glasslass June 26th, 2004 02:23 AM

Neutered males get along well together. :)

Goldenmom June 26th, 2004 09:49 AM

[QUOTE=Hope33]I thought 2 females would be great together. What the hell was I thinking??!!!! :eek: I've never had a male, and i thought that by bringing a male in the house that it would lift it's leg and pee all over the place. (Marking his territory) I guess I didn't do enough research[/QUOTE]

You can research yourself to death, but the answer will be the same. ALL dogs are different, be it female or male. I have always had females and my fosters have been females also. Never, ever have I had a problem. Come to think of it, I haven't heard this problem with any of my friends either. It would be a bad start if you are "expecting" problems, when you most likely won't.

Enjoy your pup, be if female or male. The dogs will work it out between themselves.

Heather

Kari June 29th, 2004 12:32 PM

I cant help you with the female/female issue - Ill let the other more expert members help with that...... but when we recently adopted Bailey, I took her to a local park (not our normal ones though) and my hubby took our other dog Bongo there in his truck. we let the dogs sniff around and get to know eachother (on this nuetral territory) and then my husband and I switched dogs - the whole time giving lots of love and praise :) after a little while we took them both home. We have not had any trouble with them getting along other than the occasional annoyance when Baliey being a 9 mo puppy wants to run and play and 11 yo Bongo would much rather stroll slowly ;)
granted, I think we had it easy being a young female and older male, but whatever happens I would suggest them meeting on nuetral territory first with lots of love and attention! Good Luck!!

Lucky Rescue June 29th, 2004 12:59 PM

[QUOTE]You can research yourself to death, but the answer will be the same. ALL dogs are different, be it female or male. I have always had females and my fosters have been females also. Never, ever have I had a problem. Come to think of it, I haven't heard this problem with any of my friends either. It would be a bad start if you are "expecting" problems, when you most likely won't.

Enjoy your pup, be if female or male. The dogs will work it out between themselves.
[/QUOTE]

While I certainly agree that all dogs are individuals, there are certain breed traits that you can count on, more or less. While 2 female goldens (and many other breeds) may generally get along, I can pretty well guarantee that 2 female terriers, or doxies, or Akitas, or pit bulls will NOT, and letting them "work it out" could result in serious injury, or a dead dog.

I don't know if Standard poodles are usually same-sex aggressive, but with dogs this size, I would rather be safe than sorry, and try and stack the odds in favour of peace.:)

Goldenmom June 29th, 2004 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=LuckyRescue]While I certainly agree that all dogs are individuals, there are certain breed traits that you can count on, more or less. While 2 female goldens (and many other breeds) may generally get along, I can pretty well guarantee that 2 female terriers, or doxies, or Akitas, or pit bulls will NOT, and letting them "work it out" could result in serious injury, or a dead dog.

I don't know if Standard poodles are usually same-sex aggressive, but with dogs this size, I would rather be safe than sorry, and try and stack the odds in favour of peace.:)[/QUOTE]

I agree Lucky, however, we are talking poodles here. For someone to put money down on a pup and then people say "stop! don't do it" is not right. Everyone scared this poor person into thinking that she just made this HUGE mistake and she needs to get her money back. I don't agree, sorry...

Heather

Lucky Rescue June 29th, 2004 01:41 PM

I don't think anyone said "STop - don't do it!" but a warning about what "could" or "might" happen with two large, high-energy female dogs who are so close in age is not unreasonable.

Anyone wishing to have same-sex dogs might find this article interesting. It gives tips about the best way to manage them.
[URL=http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=113&A=1009&S=0]HERE[/URL]