Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Red Blotches on belly (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5401)

stbeachy July 8th, 2004 07:22 AM

Red Blotches on belly

3 Attachment(s)
My dog is a german shorthair. She has red blotchy spots all over her belly area. They are not raised bumps, just red blotchy spots. She spends most of her day in her kennel and then is tied up for a little while before coming inside. I don't know what this is or how serious it is. I have pictures of her if anyone thinks they can help. I am not sure whether or not she needs to go to the vet. Thank you for any help or suggestions you may have.

LavenderRott July 8th, 2004 07:36 AM

Could be allergies, could be parasites, could be a lot of things. A trained vet actually seeing the dog would be able to tell you more.

Luba July 8th, 2004 07:46 AM

That looks sore and I'd definitely let a vet take a look at it.

When did it start? Was the dog exposed to any pond/lake water recently?

It's only on the belly so I wonder if it's allergic as LavR suggests. Have you cleaned the floors with anything toxic, any cleaners? Washed the dogs bedding lately in strong detergent?

I am not sure I understand the 'kennel and tied up outside' If the kennel is infested with insects that bite you have to clean it out. I'm not a fan of tying a dog up on a chain outdoors, do you not have a fenced area?

chico2 July 8th, 2004 09:07 AM

Yes,I too am concerned about"kennel,tied up outside"and her spots do look very sore..please see a vet!
A dog I knew of,was kept in a kennel,where mice would constantly bother her and eat her food also other critters...the situation is no more,but it was a very dangerous one for the poor dog.
Not to be rude or condemning,but no dog should live on a chain :(

stbeachy July 8th, 2004 09:15 AM

Just so everyone understands....

She was only tied up so she could rund some...it was only for a couple (like 2 at the most) hours. We were there, she was in our back yard close to the back porch. There is no harm to her here. She is in her kennel during the day while we are at work and she is inside at night when we are home.

Luba July 8th, 2004 09:23 AM

Well it looks like she should go to the vet, this can turn infected and then you're in for a real bad go of it as she is too!

Love to see some 'whole' pics of her too, whats her name?

So I guess you don't have a fenced in area for her to run? May be a good idea to invest especially when you have a pointer. They love to run and chained up dogs can produce a lot of problems and also encourage aggression.

As for the kennel situation, wash the bedding thats in the crate with fragrance free detergent.

Why is she not let to have the use of the home to walk around when yu're not there. My 7mon old already has access when we're not home minus the basement and bedrooms? Can we offer help there/suggestions?

stbeachy July 8th, 2004 09:53 AM

We don't have a fenced in area...are looking into it, but the cost right now is holding us back. We are going to put her a run up outside for her. She is not chained up for long periods of time, but due to her lack of listening and staying around, it is the only way we can keep her from being killed on the road near us. She has been on the road a lot and that is why she isn't allowed to run loose anymore. We never tie our other dog at all, since he stays out of trouble and harms way. (I don't want people to think we are cruel, we are not). There is no bedding in the kennel and someone has mentioned it might be ring worm. So I am going to look into some treatment and call the vet. She is not free to the house because she doesn't want to be inside. She wants to be outside and she gets mad and chews up EVERYTHING. I can't have this. She is constantly scratching at the door to be out and barking to be outside. It is impossible to please her by leaving her inside. I can't have my house torn apart by a bored dog during the day. Even when she has been outside all day running (in the past) she comes in eats and wants back out, she doesn't like being in the house. Our other dog doesn't mind, he is a lab and is calm and isn't quite so wiry as she is. Any suggestions are good, because I don't know what to do with her. Her name is Dixie and I will try to post a picture in a little bit. The ones I have though are out dated, but I will post them anyway.

heidiho July 8th, 2004 10:03 AM

I saw these things on animal planet last night for people that dont have fenced yards,you attach it to leash and tree it lets them run and stuff....

Luba July 8th, 2004 11:56 AM

Pointers are active and need a LOT of exercise, esp young ones.

Where did you get her from?

Your other dog should 'not' be roaming free range. I know fences cost but if you have a dog it's a necessity not a luxury. It protects the dog and everyone/thing else.

There are low cost fences to purchase and do it yourself ways to make this work.

Dogs that are destructive are bored and need more direction and discipline.

If you are willing to make this work then you need to make some changes in your life, this is not a life of splendor for the dog being crated all day then tied up outside.

Are you willing to put the effort in obedience, exercise and a fenced in area large enough to run and play....not a small kennel run area?

Goldenmom July 8th, 2004 12:02 PM

The rash looks sore to me. I really don't know what it is either, but I think a vet needs to have a look. Its not just on the belly, I see it near the bum and up the tail also. You don't want those getting infected, then you have a whole new problem.

Good luck!

Heather

Luba July 8th, 2004 01:35 PM

Got your PM stbeachy

Best of luck, remember there are always alternatives!

Luba July 8th, 2004 04:54 PM

Hi, some things for you to look at when you have time..good to do some research ahead of time. :D

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20748&item=4312255487&rd=1[/url]
pretty inexpensive as well, some of them I've seen are more then this.

and this one:
[url]http://www.searshomecenter.com/homecenter/prod_display1.asp?Product=31169&partner=6922&CP=00[/url]

This is a really nice one
[url]http://www.growinglifestyle.com/us/article/s0/a264332.html[/url]

stbeachy July 9th, 2004 07:17 AM

Thanks Chico, for understanding in your PM!

I THINK what she has is ringworm. A friend of mine asked a friend of his and that is what he thought it was....looks like a good guess to me too. My husband is taking her to the vet tomorrow to get checked and treated. Thanks a lot for the suggestions and advice.

chico2 July 9th, 2004 07:28 AM

Beachy,please let us know what the vet says,hopefully it's something easliy cured and a cheap fence-solution would be great for your dog :D

Luba July 9th, 2004 12:36 PM

Incase your vet doesn't know make sure you outline that you have another dog at home incase it is contageous.

Whats your dogs name?
Pls keep us posted on the vets diagnosis.

Those portable kennels are neat aren't they!! Something great to have even at a cottage or something. I would have thought' they'd be much more costly.

Looking at the design, I think it's something you could probably easily make yourself with ofcouse some help and do it much cheaper.

If things are difficult $$ wise then you want to save where you can and just getting the material and building it yourself would probably save a bundle of cash!

stbeachy July 12th, 2004 08:41 AM

Vet's Response

:rolleyes: The spots are just an irritation (rash) from jumping into a pine bush near our house. (ya know...probably after birds or anything else she can chase :D ) She perscribed a steroid before they figured this out, but since they figured out where it came from, she doesn't need it. My husband will just "fix" the problem by removing the pine bush!

Thanks

sammiec July 12th, 2004 09:41 AM

Briggs had similar bumps on the same area; we found it was irritation similar to yur Dixie! She likes to lie down and spread her legs, then pull herself across the grass!!! She's so silly! I thought that it could also be her cleaning herself then closing her legs as she lies down and not getting enough air "down there"!! Just try not to let her lick so it doesn't become more aggravated. Can we see pictures?!?! :D

Goldenmom July 12th, 2004 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=stbeachy]:rolleyes: The spots are just an irritation (rash) from jumping into a pine bush near our house. (ya know...probably after birds or anything else she can chase :D ) She perscribed a steroid before they figured this out, but since they figured out where it came from, she doesn't need it. My husband will just "fix" the problem by removing the pine bush!

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Good! At least you know the problem. I actually have the same reaction in pine bushes and others. I get a rash on my arms.

Heather

stbeachy July 12th, 2004 10:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks sammiec. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. She doesn't lick or anything. So I am lucky with that too. Here are some pics of her as a puppy and 6 months. She is now about 13 months so I need to get an updated pic. I will try to get one and post it.

sammiec July 12th, 2004 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OMG!!! SOOO Adorable!! I love pointers!! Good luck with her!

Being that she is so very active: is there an off leash area near you? or you could go biking with her, does she have a doggie friend that she can play with? There are a number of things that you can do with her to try and maintain a comfortable engery level for both of you. Unfortunately tying her in the backyard will not allow her to run and get enough exercise that she needs to "calm down". Briggs loves to go for hikes and swimming with her boyfriend! They are running and jumping and play fighting all day that I have to drag her out of bed when I leave in the morning!!!

This is Briggs and Brody completey exhausted after our day of hiking! (Brody is the Golden)

stbeachy July 12th, 2004 10:47 AM

I am a mommy of a 4 month old and a 4 year old. BUSY BUSY BUSY. I work full time and it is hard with a busy schedule. We get to do take her places to swim once in a while, but we don't have the time for US to do it to take her with us either. She is not tied up all day. She is tied only for a short time. But, she has our other dog chase to play with. It just doesn't seem to take out the energy. But, I am sure things will work out. Right now is just a bad time for us as a family. Not that we don't love her, because we do. But, my kids are a higher priority. Also, my four year old likes to play and rough house with her. They seem to enjoy it. I know this is a pet site, so I will get many "hits" for my opinions, and the things we do, but those are the circumstances for the moment. But I thank you for your concern and suggestions, as I get more free time on the calendar, I will try to get some time in with her for play.

sammiec July 12th, 2004 10:53 AM

Wow, a 4 month old, a 4 year old AND a hyper dog... all I can say is Best of Luck!! :D

glasslass July 12th, 2004 11:19 AM

I'm glad you posted 2 pix so that I had to click to see it. The impact when Chase & Dixie popped up together was sooooooo "Ohhhhhh! So sweeeeeeet!" Loved it! :D

Look at the size of that thing (Brigg's tongue) !!! :eek:

Luba July 12th, 2004 11:39 AM

Great to know about those bushes I react to juniper something terrible!

Is Dixie a family dog or hunting dog? She looks beautiful!

Spoiled July 12th, 2004 05:45 PM

Wow, adorable pictures! I love how she looks so small compared to your other dog! ;)

wAggie July 12th, 2004 05:47 PM

omgggggggggggggggggggggggg she's GORGEOUS!!

she's got Chocolate's brown colour and well, Honey's sex. :p

stbeachy July 13th, 2004 07:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the comments. She is kind of both, hunting and family? Some don't think that is possible. Right now she is only getting a little bit of training for bird hunting, but that was the purpose of getting her. But, she has great potential for hunting, it is in her blood! But she still gets the love of a family dog. Chase on the other hand is all family dog....5 years of family dog in him and he eats it all up!

This is them at the lake near our house. We like to let them run here, but there were kids around, so we couldn't let Dixie go, just in case. However Chase could care less about other people and things.

sammiec July 13th, 2004 07:46 AM

Looks like they're ahaving SOO much fun!!! Great pics!!! :D

Luba July 13th, 2004 01:10 PM

Ya I thought she was a hunting dog! :(

stbeachy July 13th, 2004 01:19 PM

Sounds like you don't approve, but what you don't realize is the love these dogs have for it. It is enjoyment to them. She does it without having any training at all.

But, everyone to their own. Thanks for the post to all. Been very informative and great to see a lot of people who care.