Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Jello and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65551)

pixiestix47 September 11th, 2009 09:36 PM

Jello and dogs

Is jello made from Knox unflavored gelatin and sugar free, fresh juices safe to feed to my dog? Saw on a different Q&A forum that it might make my dogs ride the Hershey Squirts coaster. On the flip, others have stated it is perfectly safe.

Would anyone like to share their knowledge on this particular topic?

Thanks!!

luckypenny September 11th, 2009 10:04 PM

I have no idea. Why would you want to feed your dog jello :shrug:?

allfurlove September 12th, 2009 06:46 AM

I would not. Some artificial sweeteners are toxic to dogs, there is one in particular but I cant remember the name. Besides it might upset his tummy and make a mess :sick:
Why do you want to give him jello? :laughing: If he likes sweet stuff you could bake him some yummy dog cookies, I think there are some recipes on this site. Or just plain fruit, apples, bananas, etc (no seeds)

kandy September 15th, 2009 02:24 PM

It's xylitol that is toxic to dogs. Aspartame is normally the artifical sweetener you find in food products, where xylitol is normally found in sugar free gum. But I think the poster was talking about fruit juice with no sugar added rather than using an artificially sweetened product.

bendyfoot September 17th, 2009 08:59 AM

I dont' THINK it's unsafe persay, but I have to jump on the "why" bandwagon here :confused:

hotdok June 13th, 2012 07:04 PM

jello for hydration paralysis jaw.

Our dog has trigeminal neuritis & is unable to swallow, eat or drink, as the cranial nerve affected affects his jaw musles, etc.

In order to feed him food must be put in the back of his throat, his jaw closed manually. Also, he can not drink! Water all spills out, we are experimenting with a turkey baster.

My idea to keep him hydrated is to prepare blocks of JELLOW & give him this. I will use no salt, no sugar gelatine prep. from the health store.

Any feed back, advise please.

Thanks.

Barkingdog June 13th, 2012 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=pixiestix47;824746]Is jello made from Knox unflavored gelatin and sugar free, fresh juices safe to feed to my dog? Saw on a different Q&A forum that it might make my dogs ride the Hershey Squirts coaster. On the flip, others have stated it is perfectly safe.

Would anyone like to share their knowledge on this particular topic?

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

I found this link that said it OK for dogs.
[url]http://www.ehow.com/facts_5575292_gelatin-arthritis-dogs.html[/url]

Longblades June 13th, 2012 08:53 PM

[QUOTE=kandy;825755]It's xylitol that is toxic to dogs. Aspartame is normally the artifical sweetener you find in food products, where xylitol is normally found in sugar free gum. But I think the poster was talking about fruit juice with no sugar added rather than using an artificially sweetened product.[/QUOTE]

Kandy, xylitol might be found in anything that is artificially sweetened. Yogurt is one to watch out for. It is in Rescue Remedy candies too. Just so you know. :)

hotdok, I hope your dog is going to be OK. Sounds awful. Is that like trigeminal neuralgia that people get? I know a lady with it. She didn't have any paralysis but I suppose it is different in different folks. She was in terrible pain, I hope your dog is not.

ETA: Oh my gosh, this is a really old thread. hotdok, perhaps you should start your own thread to get the answers you need. Good luck.

jadedmecca August 3rd, 2012 08:41 PM

I give my dogs jello

My vet said its ok. I make my dogs jello, I actually have some in the fridge now. I use left over stocks from when we cook. just make sure you salt your food after you cook it that way its not in the broth. They love it and no runs. We did it initially for our older dog. He was having some joint issues and thought it works for people and jello is made from animal product so we gave it a try and have noticed a big improvement. I follow the Knox jello packet instructions but double the amount of jello to get firmer cubes.