Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Tripe woes (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=33171)

erykah1310 November 21st, 2006 01:47 PM

Tripe woes

hello everyone,
I CANNOT for the life of me find tripe anywhere around here.
Holistic vet has no idea what im talking about,
Pet stores trying to sell me dried trachea
Health food stores ask me to spell it then almost vomit on the phone when i say what it is.
Im at a loss here, where do all of you buy yours ????

Pm the place that it is purchased so i can see if anything like that place exists here, Both Sudbury and Northbay have had the same reactions.

And, if it is unavailable here ( which I susspect) what is a good alternative???

Signed frustrated erykah:frustrated: :shrug:

Scott_B November 21st, 2006 02:30 PM

Sorry, I can give you my supplier, but I doubt they ship that far. Hopefully some of the ontario crew can help

barkley21 November 21st, 2006 02:49 PM

We buy frozen green lamb tripe from a company called Healthy Paws. Their website is [url]http://www.tryhealthypaws.com[/url]. Click on the banner "Retailers" on the left side and then enter your postal code and see if there is one close to you. We live in Toronto and it's carried at various pet food stores throughout the city.

technodoll November 21st, 2006 03:18 PM

try [url]www.urbancarnivore.com[/url], they have a dealer locator.. it's the kind i feed the beanies :thumbs up

Dog Dancer November 21st, 2006 04:14 PM

Hah, I live with an Italian and he buys his tripe at the butcher. I'd be toast if I tried to feed it to the dogs... Personally I'm :yuck: at the thought of it too though. But the dogs would love it I'm sure. Good luck!

technodoll November 21st, 2006 04:16 PM

dogdancer, green tripe is not for human consumption and is not sold at butcher's.... humans eat the bleached, white, clean stuff only :p (well other humans, not ME!) LOL

erykah1310 November 21st, 2006 09:41 PM

I found plenty of white tripe while grocery shopping for the dogs today, but I remembered that that was not that right stuff.

Gotta keep looking.

Got some wiked deals today though, anyone looking for some good cheap meat for dogs try Food Basics!:thumbs up I wouldnt eat the meat there ( cause im super picky with my meats) but its great stuff for the dogs! Spent a good $80 and should be good for a while with that! :thumbs up ( plus what is stock piled already)
Man raw is fun!

erykah1310 November 21st, 2006 10:10 PM

The closest so far is Collingwood. :frustrated: Thats a tad ( 4 hours) out of my way...
Gonna have to call around and see what I can do.
Global Pet Foods is in Northbay but that sales person had no idea what i was talking about. I am going to try to call again tomorrow and see if there is anyway they can bring it in.
You can tell how unheard-of the raw diet is around here... even the petstores have no idea what I am talking about.:frustrated:

technodoll November 21st, 2006 10:17 PM

erykah if you can't find green tripe, don't fret... your furkids will never notice if you give them extra yummies :D so what did you get today for $80? (come on, make me jealous he he)

oh, the regular ground beef is 0.99/lbs at my neighborhood grocery store this week, yayyy! picked up 3 family packs today, will get more tomorrow to stock up (we mix it with Evo once in a while) :thumbs up

erykah1310 November 21st, 2006 10:24 PM

Bone in lamb ( lol typed lamb in bone first there, but that makes no sence) cubed already----- $2.00 for 5lb bag Purchased 3 bags
Chicken legs on sale for $1/lb--- baught 15 lbs
Chicken legs with backs--- $1.48 for a bag ( baught 4 bags)
Beef Liver--- cheap as usual ( baught 6 packs)
whole atlantic salmon--- $5.00 each ( not a deal but got some anyway)
whole Rabbit ( poor buggers) $12 ( baught 2 for now)

and thats all, with taxes came up to approx $80.

erykah1310 November 21st, 2006 10:26 PM

Do you use regular EVO?? or Evo rm?? Cause all that is carried around here is the regular. Reasonable price too, brought kita's sisters mom to get a bag today too. So da Kilo gurl is eating healthy now too.:thumbs up

LL1 November 21st, 2006 10:27 PM

[url]http://greentripe.com/[/url] not sure if they would send to you,they may know someone who would

you could also try abattoirs

technodoll November 21st, 2006 10:32 PM

wow! :eek: i've never seen lamb so cheap, you are sooo lucky!! (insert green jealous man here). and also rabbits here are minimum $17 so i've never bought any... fussy beanies wouldn't like it anyways i'll bet :frustrated:

how come you have to pay taxes on food? :confused:

right now we're finishing up a bag of Evo RM, but once it's gone (that and the lot of Merrick's Puppy Dry), i don't think i'll buy anymore kibble... at the rate we're going we'll be feeding kibble until spring, LOL! :rolleyes:

erykah1310 November 21st, 2006 10:38 PM

cause of the fancy packaging for some of it. thats what im paying taxes for. :confused: I think its only pst im paying not too sure. But there is some lovely taxes I have to pay.

erykah1310 November 21st, 2006 10:43 PM

THis is how the lamb comes... to buy whole lamb ( or legs) is costly but this way its really cheap!

technodoll November 21st, 2006 10:44 PM

wow... in quebec you only pay taxes on "non-essentials" like chips, sodas, chocolate bars... no taxes on cookies, ice-cream, cereal... i never heard of paying taxes on meat :eek:

move here! we have poutine too! :p

erykah1310 November 21st, 2006 10:45 PM

Oh I've thought about it, but :sad: cant eat poutine:sad: no gallbladder :sad:

technodoll November 21st, 2006 10:45 PM

your lamb chunks look exactly like the goat chunks i get for maika... at $2.25/lbs though, she doesn't get them too often. you are sooo lucky!