Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fatty Deposit (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5809)

schnauzers July 23rd, 2004 05:58 AM

Fatty Deposit

My Mini-Schnauzer has a large fatty deposit (it is cold to the touch and half a tennis ball in size) between his chest and neck and is quite visible although I do not think it bothers him. Should I get it removed? He is 12.

schnauzers July 23rd, 2004 06:04 AM

[QUOTE=Laura05]have you had it tested to be sure it is just a fatty deposit? If it is just a deposit I think I would have it removed... just because it probably looks icky.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is just fat and it does look disturbing. I am just afraid to put him under because of his age although he is a very strong dog.

Iggette July 23rd, 2004 08:06 AM

If it is a fatty deposite and harmless why remove it? at 12 why bother.......just curious

Goldenmom July 23rd, 2004 08:42 AM

Our 12 yr old Lab had these all over her body. I refused to have her put under to have them removed. Other than making her look funny, lumps all over, there was no reason to put her through surgery to have them removed. Sorry, but at the age of 12, cancer or not, I would not have them removed. Surgery and is hard on older dogs and many never recover fully from it.

Our Jasmin was put to sleep at the age of 13, lumps and all! The vet told us that she had them because of living "the good life". She was also overweight. I won't make that mistake ever again!

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

Princesss04 July 23rd, 2004 09:27 AM

I agree if they are not hurting her I would not mess with them at that age. She does not care what she looks like! ;)

buriedinfur July 23rd, 2004 09:40 AM

I would just leave them too, removal would only be cosmetic. Lipomas are pretty common, and can be left quite happily alone, even my Dad has several ;)

schnauzers July 23rd, 2004 10:12 AM

OK. I am convinced. They are staying. He's happy and active, so we'll just treat the big one as a second head. :)

Goldenmom July 23rd, 2004 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=schnauzers]OK. I am convinced. They are staying. He's happy and active, so we'll just treat the big one as a second head. :)[/QUOTE]

Great attitude! My girl had a huge one on her side. I just told everyone that it is from the good life and she was worth every bit of it. Funny thing was, we never gave her human food :confused:

Heather

schnauzers July 23rd, 2004 01:17 PM

[QUOTE=Goldenmom]Great attitude! My girl had a huge one on her side. I just told everyone that it is from the good life and she was worth every bit of it. Funny thing was, we never gave her human food :confused:

Heather[/QUOTE]

The good life, huh? Well, he is the only one (I have 3 mini-schnauzers and a wheaton) who steals food. The other day he took an entire slice of pizza out one of my kid's hands.

Goldenmom July 23rd, 2004 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=schnauzers]The good life, huh? Well, he is the only one (I have 3 mini-schnauzers and a wheaton) who steals food. The other day he took an entire slice of pizza out one of my kid's hands.[/QUOTE]

Thus, the "fatty" deposits LOL :rolleyes:

Heather