Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Cat eating Christmas Tree! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=58727)

danam314 December 2nd, 2008 12:47 AM

Cat eating Christmas Tree!

Hi all.

Just a question since the holiday season is upon us....

My hubby and I put up the Christmas tree this weekend, and the cat will not leave it alone! I'm constantly doing the "Mikey... get away from the tree!!" dance. It is artificial, my allergies wont allow us to have a real one, so I'm worried about him digesting the plastic "needles". Aside from soaking the tree in hot sauce :laughing: or locking the cat in his room, what can I do?? I've already moved the furniture away from the tree so he can't just sit and nibble all night, but now he just sits on his hind legs like a gopher eating it :wall:

Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill here, or is my concern valid? Is this tree eating behavior common?

This is the suspect in question:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/DanaMiller/Cats/Mikey1.jpg[/IMG]

clm December 2nd, 2008 08:14 AM

That's why I no longer put up a Christmas tree. I've had cats eat the artificial needles and the tinsel. I can live without a tree, not my cats. :)

Cindy

AmericanBullMom December 2nd, 2008 08:46 AM

My cats got IN my Christmas tree last year... But they chewed on it too, and they're still around for this Christmas too! So long as he's not eating WHOLE branches...perhaps drop your vet a call and ask.
You could try BitterApple spray also, you can buy it at petsmart.

Jim Hall December 2nd, 2008 08:51 AM

Some cats love plastic thats all there is to it try lemon juice bitter apple lol yeah hotsauce!!! now thats a funky smelling cristmas!!! My cat Du loves the heavy duty plastic ones you get from the luxury shops sorry

happycats December 2nd, 2008 10:32 AM

OMG, I've been through it all (having had 6 cats) I have tied trees to walls, bought all unbreakable ornaments, just to have them eat tinsel, eat mini light bulbs,:eek: eat the tree, drink tree water, spill tree water, climb all the way to the top of the tree, knock tree and all decorations everywhere, roll decorations all over floor in the middle of the night to keep you awake, pee on tree skirt, rip open presents (before christmas morning:frustrated:) and even eat some presents.

Vicks vapo rub (or any mint paste) on low branches and skirt help (that's if you can stand the smell)
Most of my cats have thrown up tree part they have eaten, and no one has ever got sick, even from eating mini bulbs (I think he just chewed them until they popped, and never actually ate the glass)

Or grin and bear it, and one day you will look back and laugh at it :D

aslan December 2nd, 2008 10:42 AM

you could always put a few mothballs around the bottom of the tree, that also helps deter them from using your garden as a bathroom.

kathryn December 2nd, 2008 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=clm;704781]That's why I no longer put up a Christmas tree. I've had cats eat the artificial needles and the tinsel. I can live without a tree, not my cats. :)

Cindy[/QUOTE]

Same here. Tree got knocked over so many times last year. This year, especially with my 2 kittens, my mom said it's not even worth it.

If you can't get him to stop eating it, you're going to have to have to pack it back up.

RaYne December 2nd, 2008 11:05 AM

That's a new one for me. I've never heard of a cat eating a fake tree. Hopefully you can find a solution so you can keep your tree up.

We haven't put our tree up yet, but I'm sure we will have 2 kittens playing in it. Now I'm hoping they don't eat it. :fingerscr

danam314 December 2nd, 2008 12:01 PM

Thanks guys! I'm going to try some of the remedies mentioned and see how it goes. I went to the store yesterday and bought a whole lot of new cat toys for him, so hopefully he can keep busy in another room. I have to be careful what I rub on the tree branches because Koda will eat the deterrent topping, haha. At least when I'm not home he's gated out of this room. I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone!! I was wondering if it possibly meant a deficiency of some sort (vitamin/mineral) or if it was just a 'cat thing'.

Oh, and he's not eating full branches, just nibbling on the ends of the 'needles'. I haven't seen any in his stool and he hasn't thrown any tree up (like he does outdoor grass!) so maybe he's not ingesting it.

dmc123 December 2nd, 2008 12:13 PM

You can set your tree up like we do now....LOL it works for us.

Check it out on post from last year:
[url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47173[/url]

Good luck with whatever you try.

Diane

sugarcatmom December 2nd, 2008 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=danam314;704949]I was wondering if it possibly meant a deficiency of some sort (vitamin/mineral) or if it was just a 'cat thing'.
[/QUOTE]

There's actually a term for cats that eat inedible things (plastic, especially plastic bags, being a common one). It's called Pica. Here's some info: [url]http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/PICA.htm[/url]

marko December 2nd, 2008 12:52 PM

If budget allows you can try booby trapping the tree with [URL="http://www.ssscat.com/english/index.html"]ssscat[/URL] or another deterrent

phoozles December 2nd, 2008 01:00 PM

I've got a tree climbing cat - so we're just not going to do the tree thing this year.. Last year we put it up but didn't decorate, because she was constantly climbing it and wrestling in it :yell:
There were fake 'needles' all over the floor.. It's not worth it to me this year.. :shrug:

clm December 2nd, 2008 01:17 PM

I love Christmas. I love having more time off work to spend with DH and my fur kids. I love being able to see my parents a little more during the Christmas break too. I don't need a tree, or lights or cards or presents to enjoy the season. I love to watch A Christmas Carol on Christmas eve. I love to cook over the holidays, I like all the kids Christmas shows too. I'm not sure that even if I didn't have to worry about the cats and all the decorations if I would still bother with the whole decorating thing again anyway. I can get into Christmas without all the decorations. Seeing a red cardinal in the garden, or white snow all over the pine trees is enough decoration for me now days. Less stuff to store, you don't have to rearange the house to put it all up, you don't have to take the lights back down either. :D

Cindy

kathryn December 2nd, 2008 10:57 PM

[QUOTE=marko;704991]If budget allows you can try booby trapping the tree with [URL="http://www.ssscat.com/english/index.html"]ssscat[/URL] or another deterrent[/QUOTE]

Please don't tell me I was the only one who laughed at the video on the homepage :D

Yes, those things are a good idea. I have seen them at my job before... they are expensive though!

Tundra_Queen December 2nd, 2008 11:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is how I did my tree when I just had Willie the first Christmas.
We didn't put the bottom branches on. But the next year we got a new tree with the branches already attached so we didn't put any lights or ornaments on the bottom row of branches. We tied the tree on two opposite walls using fishing line so u can't see it as well. This stops tree from falling over if it gets tackled by a flying kitten.

Around the bottom of the tree put plastic clothes baskets. In those baskets put plastic place mats with double sided sticky carpet tape on. Then put loops made of duct tape on the underside of the place mats. This so when flying kitty lands on the sticky placemat he won't pull placemat out when he leaves the basket. :laughing:When cat lands inside basket to get closer to the tree it will jump out again because of the sticky tape. :D

I will try and attach some pics of our first tree off my web page.

Because we have TWO flying kittens this year I'm not going to try the tree. I've had enough stress with contractor walking thru my home for the past 3 months! I do have Christmas decorations up, just not a tree. :)

Debbie

Jim Hall December 2nd, 2008 11:25 PM

sorry but you relly gotta want a tree wonder how she is doing ?

happycats December 3rd, 2008 07:04 AM

[QUOTE=Tundra_Queen;705518]This is how I did my tree when I just had Willie the first Christmas.
We didn't put the bottom branches on. But the next year we got a new tree with the branches already attached so we didn't put any lights or ornaments on the bottom row of branches. We tied the tree on two opposite walls using fishing line so u can't see it as well. This stops tree from falling over if it gets tackled by a flying kitten.

Around the bottom of the tree put plastic clothes baskets. In those baskets put plastic place mats with double sided sticky carpet tape on. Then put loops made of duct tape on the underside of the place mats. This so when flying kitty lands on the sticky placemat he won't pull placemat out when he leaves the basket. :laughing:When cat lands inside basket to get closer to the tree it will jump out again because of the sticky tape. :D

I will try and attach some pics of our first tree off my web page.

Because we have TWO flying kittens this year I'm not going to try the tree. I've had enough stress with contractor walking thru my home for the past 3 months! I do have Christmas decorations up, just not a tree. :)

Debbie[/QUOTE]

Great ideas!! We used fishing line too!:D

You have to admit, it's funny watching them play in the tree (after the fact) Now that my guys are all older, I look back and laugh at all the bad things they did to me tree,skirt,decorations and presents:lovestruck:

Buddy now steals the decorations and hides them under the skirt.....it's cute because it's almost like he knows, and is putting "gifts" under the tree for us:) Last night my son found half a bagel, and 3 walnuts under the tree:lovestruck:
Buddy is quite the thief, he doesn't chew or eat things, just steals and hides them :shrug:

Tundra_Queen December 3rd, 2008 06:00 PM

[QUOTE=happycats;705592]Great ideas!! We used fishing line too!:D

Buddy now steals the decorations and hides them under the skirt.....it's cute because it's almost like he knows, and is putting "gifts" under the tree for us:) Last night my son found half a bagel, and 3 walnuts under the tree:lovestruck:
Buddy is quite the thief, he doesn't chew or eat things, just steals and hides them :shrug:[/QUOTE]

:laughing::laughing::laughing: That is a riot! I guess, he is hiding treats for Santa,,,so you don't eat them before Santa. :laughing::laughing:

happycats December 3rd, 2008 07:30 PM

[QUOTE=Tundra_Queen;706074]:laughing::laughing::laughing: That is a riot! I guess, he is hiding treats for Santa,,,so you don't eat them before Santa. :laughing::laughing:[/QUOTE]

Yes he is quite the character! And I don't think Santa's cookies will last long on Christmas eve :D

Tundra_Queen December 4th, 2008 02:46 AM

I think he sounds very cute. Just be careful where your walking! :laughing:

linni77 December 4th, 2008 01:47 PM

I have tried to keep my cats out of the Christmas Tree for years and finally had success! If you don't mind giving your kitty a little scare, purchase a remote controlled switch you plug into an outlet near the tree. Plug a handheld vacuum into it. When kitty starts to investigate the tree, hit the remote from across the room for a short burst of noise. He/she will keep its distance for quite sometime before getting brave enough to investigate again. Then give it another burst. Works for me!:cat:

happycats December 4th, 2008 06:23 PM

I am trying to find scat mats,(the cats are killing my leather couch:yell:) I'm sure they will work for the tree too.