Pet forum for dogs cats and humans -

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - (
-   Fish (
-   -   Huge Ripoff! (maybe...?) (

danaekitty May 5th, 2008 08:33 AM

Huge Ripoff! (maybe...?)
Does anyone know what the piece of equipment is called that sticks to the inside of the tank, underwater, and is built solely to move the water around? It is shaped kind of like a pointy space shuttle, and it sucks water in the bottom and spits it out a small mouth on the top. If you have the mouth along the surface of the water, it aerates the tank quite nicely.

The reason I'm asking is that I bought a used 65g package from someone that included the tank, light, heater, filter, gravel, decos and this water cycler thingie. I paid a decent price for the whole setup, which I just put together yesterday. After putting the water in, everything was working fine, but when I woke up this morning, the water cycler thingie wasn't working, and I'm pretty mad becuase the filter that he sold me was really meant for a smaller tank, and the reason it worked so well is because he had that cycler.

So I'm trying to look it up online to see if I can get a price range on them. I bought the thing used, so I don't have a warranty or anything, but I don't even know what the unit is called! It's an Elite unit, which I think is a division of Hagen. If anyone has one of these or knows anything about their motors, how to fix, price range, etc, that would really help me when I call this guy!!!

clm May 5th, 2008 09:52 AM

It sounds like a powerhead to me.


danaekitty May 5th, 2008 10:00 AM

Are powerheads submersible though? I thought it may have been a powerhead and I can't find any that are submersible or that look like the one I have. My thingie has only one purpose and that is to move the water around in the tank. I was also thinking water pump but I'm not sure if that's it either because I can't find the model online.

clm May 5th, 2008 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hagens site doesn't have surface skimmers or anything under the Elite name. Maybe it's this little filter. In which case it may be clogged and that's why it's not working.
Does it look like this?


danaekitty May 5th, 2008 11:10 AM

Nope, it's the Elite blue. I can't seem to find it anywhere! I talked to the guy that sold it to me and he told me how to take it apart and clean the impeller, it should work fine after that. He also told me that he's got a spare he'll give me if the one he sold me doesn't want to work after it's been cleaned, so I'm pretty relieved!!!
Thanks for the suggestions!

want4rain May 5th, 2008 11:38 AM

are you talking abotu an undergravel filter?? there is a tray that sits under the gravel with a tube that comes up near the surface of the water and it has a little doohicky that sucks water up the tube and disperses it into the rest of the tank??

if thats the case, take it out. all it does is trap poo and yuck under that tray where you cant reach it without breaking down the whole tank. ugly things. they have a nice purpose in having a really stable biological filtration BUT the trade off of not being able to suck the poo out isnt worth it.


clm May 5th, 2008 11:39 AM

That's good news! Hopefully it'll be working for you again in no time.

Can't wait to see pics of your tank all set up too!


danaekitty May 5th, 2008 11:43 AM

W4R, it's definitely not an undergravel. I hate those too, the outboard ones are much simpler to maintain. Will post pics of all 3 tanks after next weekend!

want4rain May 5th, 2008 12:49 PM


kinda sorta that idea?? it sucks in the cone in the bottom and spits out on that arm that sticks out on the right?? just a plain old powerhead. if you can, get a sponge to attach to the intake so its not sucking up your fish!!

id *love love love* some pics!!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.