Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   housebreaking puppies (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=1596)

Dukethedog June 22nd, 2003 04:33 PM

housebreaking puppies

Hi All you animal lovers and trainers...
We have a cute little black lab pup who is 9 weeks old named Duke, and we have had him a week...The first 3 nites we had him, we put him in his crate at about 10 pm,...cause he was soooo tired...and he slept until 6 am...no whimpering (we rubbed a towel on his siblings to get their scent when we went to pick him up and I think that helped him sleep all nite) So there was no crying or any messes in his crate !!

SO, I have some questions... He is now messing everynite (the last 5 in his crate except for the one night we woke Duke up at 1 am to go outside...) He has rolled all in it by morning and it is stuck to his paws. I thought they didn't like to mess in their crates and why did he do so well the first 3 nites with no problems? Do I then set the alarm for 1 am, 3 am, 5 am?

Another question is puppy stool is really watery and loose...every time..and he poops sometimes 7 times a day...is that normal?

Took a stool sample into vet..came back negative for whatever they tested him for, so the receptionist said to cut back on his food intake...( was going by the package..and she said the packages say to give too much food)

What is the normal food intake for a 9 week old lab puppy...on Proplan puppy food? (same food breeder started him on)

We have had Duke eliminate, then put him in the crate to run an errand...come back in NO MORE than 30 mins...he eliminated in his crate....Some times he can go for 2 hours...but it's a game of chance..even if he has just gone poppy right before

He also is peeing sometimes like 4 - 6 times in 1/2 hour in our yard...is that normal?

Please give us any suggestions! We are spending an hour cleaning the crate, and giving puppy bath each morning...and getting grossed out!

I expect accidents, I know that happens...I just don't think this is normal for a puppy, but not sure what to do!

Thanks,
DuKe's Mom

mcjd June 24th, 2003 10:13 AM

my guess is that your puppy is upset at being left alone in his crate.
Where is the crate located? Is it right beside your bed so he doesn't feel alone? When you go out do you leave a radio on?

We have never used crates, so someone who is familiar with those might advise you better as to how you make him feel more secure.

The outside peeing is marking his territory .
I would ask my vet re the amount of food to feed your puppy , while it will usually say on the bag, it does differ per breed.
You are not giving him milk, are you?
It could be as simple as different water , don't know if you are on a well or on town water, and if it's the same water as what the breeder has.
Sometimes a little thing that we would not think of can affect your dog .

Meg June 24th, 2003 03:34 PM

[COLOR=orangered][COLOR=orangered]Reading your post brought back some memories and they were not good ones . 16 years ago we got a black lab puppy about 8 weeks old I guess too. Well we had about the same problem you did, we crated her and after teh first few ngihts the same thing happened except I think ours was abit worse . Our crate was kind of in a corner against two walls but she was able to see everythign so not as if she was blocked away from everything. Well when we would wake up the Stool was everywhere. meaning all over the walls and her [/COLOR]

[COLOR=orangered]It ended up she was allergic to the food because my vet suggested we go with teh science diet and after a week or so things cleared right up. We also had woke her several tiem durign the night to take her out but she seemed to do this early morning just before we woke up. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=orangered]Also later about 6 months old she got fleas and what a mess she had a allergic reaction to that also. Plus coming home from obient[/COLOR] [COLOR=orangered]classes I let her have a bathroom break before coming in the house . Well when I went to get ready for bed and she came to get on teh bottom of the bed, (out of crate by now) her face was a balloon. Took her to emergency after calling vet .She had a reaction to a insect bite most likely a spider the vet said. That was a pricy visit. as it was after hours. Her sister had allergy problems also . she had problems with her skin and was constantly itcy and scratching all the time. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=orangered]I oftened wondered if the mom was overbred or something to have caused these problems. The only reason we had got that pup was we had lost our dog the day before and being heartbroken and animals lover s we wanted to replace him right away. That was a big mistake as I was pregnat infact I went into labour about 10 hous after we got the new puppy.[/COLOR] [COLOR=orangered]We went to the vet and looked on the boards and that was the only one that had big dogs and we new the people as it wasnt too far from where we lived and that is why we chose it . Also because my sister in laws had a sibling of this ones mother. I wish you well and I do sugest you try teh food at the vet. It is much more expensive but it last longer as they dont eat much and produce way less stool. So really it jus tyour spending alot up front . Good luck. I may be way off but its worth a try.[/COLOR]