Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How to paper train old dog (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2811)

mokie's_mom January 13th, 2004 01:24 AM

How to paper train old dog

I have a ten-pound dog who was rescued almost two years ago. He's probably a dachshund/chihuahua mix but bears a strong resemblance to a min pin too. Whatever he is, he's not telling. It kills him to go out in this cold. I bought him boots but he won't wear them (big surprise there!). I'd love to paper train him for the really cold days, but haven't a clue how. If only he'd share an uncovered litterbox with the cats! heh Anyway, if anyone has had success doing this I'd love to hear.

Luba January 13th, 2004 01:49 AM

DO NOT paper train this dog, there is no need for it. If you start that you'll be sorry!

Just take the dog out, get a sweater for him and if it's really cold let him do his stuff then come right back. Praise him when you come inside and give him a treat and lots of pats telling him what a good boy he is. Make sure you clean his feet off when you come in! He may have been left outdoors in the cold and you have to let him know that you're not going to leave him out there and he's okay ;)

If the snow is a problem get out your shovel and shovel a clear path for him. I did this for 16yrs with my small terrier.

mokie's_mom January 13th, 2004 10:03 AM

Of course he has a coat. He's an older gentleman, and in the extreme cold he'll take a few steps before he's unable to walk any further. He'll stand on three paws and hold one up to tell me he can't continue.

Why do you not recommend paper training?

Luba January 13th, 2004 10:53 AM

I'm not sure why you want to #1 confuse your dog like that and #2 Start a situation you may well not be able to stop.

People have a tough enough time 'stopping' their dogs from going indoors. If you 'train' your dog to do this, you're sending mixed signals.

Your dog will not only urinate on the papers but probably anywhere else it wishes AND have bowel movements. What are you going to do when you say 'it's okay now' to go indoors then in the spring when he urinates in the house you say 'he can't' and have to retrain him. It's not fair to the dog and you'll end up frustrated later on.

It's pretty simple. Are you a first time dog owner?

Just think about those lovely spring walks you'll take to the park and you'll wonder why 'fido' doesn't go outside in the park. Then as soon as you get home and open the door, down he squats.

I dont know of ANYONE who would recommend you training him to go indoors.

Luba

Lucky Rescue January 13th, 2004 12:02 PM

Luba is right. You can't teach your dog to "go" indoors only sometimes. I would only consider paper training if my dog were very tiny - like 5 lbs.

My pit bull couldn't go out in the cold and snow either, because after literally 5 minutes she would limping and hobbling on three legs - her paws frozen. Of course, having a 70 lb dog "going" in the house is NOT an option, so I had to find a solution.

I just got her some Muttluks to wear. No, she doesn't like them, but she must wear them anyway. Last night I took her out and we walked for nearly an hour. She walked like some prancing pony, but she was so happy not to have her feet freeze!

What I suggest is to get the boots and go to the door and make a big fuss about going for walk. Get your own coat and boots on first, then put his on and go right out. Praise him and even give a treat when he walks in his boots. He'll get used to them if they are connected with positive things like praise, treats, etc.

And make sure his coat is very heavy and warm and covers his bare belly. Old, small shorthaired dogs are SO sensitive to the cold! A friend has an elderly whippet and the dog must wear her coat even in the house!
If your dog is warm - body and feet - he'll like to go out more, just like us.;)

wAggie January 22nd, 2004 04:40 AM

I agree with Luba & LR!