Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Ok gals, give it your best shot! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64349)

14+kitties July 23rd, 2009 06:38 PM

Ok gals, give it your best shot!

3 Attachment(s)
I got this one about six or seven years ago. It is absolutely one of my very favourite plants. I wait impatiently for the flowers to open up every summer. Last year I could have told you what it was. This year the name escapes me. :o
It's about 2 and a half feet tall, has a wonderful froth of flowers that seem to dance above the broad waxy leaves, the purplish white flowers last for approx 5 weeks.
If anyone can tell me the name I would appreciate it! I will have to put a tag near it or something so I don't forget again!! Ceara, maybe you can send a pic to your flower forum?
Thanks everyone!!!

Luvmypitgirls July 23rd, 2009 06:46 PM

I have no idea :shrug:
But what I do know is....[B][SIZE="5"]I WANT ONE![/SIZE][/B]

CearaQC July 24th, 2009 06:12 AM

Wow that's a stumper! Unusual yet interesting. I can just imagine how it would look with dew hanging off it in early morning.

Have passed on your pics and description. Maybe they will have an ID for you today!

chico2 July 24th, 2009 06:51 AM

I have no idea either,but that's not unusual,it looks really pretty though:confused:
How about some kind of "Foam flower":confused:

CearaQC July 24th, 2009 09:35 AM

Ok, we have an answer!

Are you ready?

Sea Lavender [I]Limonium platyphyllum[/I]

:thumbs up

[quote]Sometimes known as Limonium latifolium. Sea lavender is ideal for gardens on dry, sandy soil, and even windy coastal gardens. Once established it is fairly drought-tolerant, but thrives equally well in better conditions. Each plant forms a neat rosette of large, attractive oval leaves almost flat on the ground, and these often turn bronze-red in the sun. In mid-summer, wiry stems support frothy masses of tiny pale pink or lavender flowers, like gypsophila but stiffer. The flowers dry out gradually on the plants and, though faded, persist into late summer. For drying, they should be cut just before they are fully open.[/quote]

14+kitties July 24th, 2009 05:20 PM

Geezz, hate to say I don't think that is it. :shrug: I originally thought maybe that too although I didn't recognize the name.
The leaves aren't flat to the ground. They are actually about a foot high and about 2 - 3 inches broad. Not oval. The leaves only turn red at the end of the season after the frost hits. I have just been lazy and not removed the leaves from last season. :o They also have a very sharp end.
I really appreciate you taking the time to try to have it IDed Ceara. I have looked through tons of pics too. Drat this faulty memory!
I am going to take a picture of it to the biggest nursery here. They are usually pretty good at IDing pics.

edwina July 24th, 2009 08:46 PM

14 + was the word statice ?? :)

14+kitties July 24th, 2009 09:19 PM

I took another look. It could be Limonium platyphyllum. It's possible the nursery misnamed it. The flower colour is off compared to the colours I've seen in my books and on line but the leaf is right - sort of. Now I am totally confused.
Edwina - thanks. German Statice is one of the flowers in the same family I think.

edwina July 24th, 2009 09:48 PM

Yeah that is why i mentioned it, i believe its some kind of limonium, so i thought maybe your tag had statice on it. :)