Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scratching dog - Now what (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83668)

minmin12 March 23rd, 2013 05:20 AM

Scratching dog - Now what

Here I go again Moses. Ever since he arrived he scratches uncontrollably. I brush him when I scratch him his legs do that silly kick as he is itchy. I am not allowed to give him egg, fruit and veggies. This little one has a very sensitive stomach. One person not from here suggested may be because it is winter. Now I am wondering he is happy, healthy, energetic and loving sleeps in my bed and hogs it :laughing: Does anyone have a suggestion otherwise he is all good this is disconcerning for me I only want what is best for him thank you:grouphug::ca:

hazelrunpack March 23rd, 2013 10:23 AM

Our dogs get itchy in winter, too. It might be worth trying an omega-3 oil supplement on his food. We use about tablespoon and a half per dog per evening meal when its coldest and driest out and it really does the trick.

If he has a sensitive tummy, you may have to consider the possibility of a food intolerance or allergy--often food intolerance and itching go hand-in-hand. So if the oil doesn't work, you could try an elimination diet--you eliminate ingredients one by one over the course of a few weeks to see if the itching gets better when something is excluded.

marko March 23rd, 2013 10:27 AM

I'm not sure what the question is here.... I have edited the thread title again so it relates to a particular subject.

but to me, the "silly kick " thing doesn't sound like it has to do with itchiness.

You are likely just stimulating nerves underneath the skin and the limb is reacting in a similar way as when the human doctor takes the rubber mallet to test your knee jerk reflex.

minmin12 March 23rd, 2013 11:01 AM

no can do

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1055589]Our dogs get itchy in winter, too. It might be worth trying an omega-3 oil supplement on his food. We use about tablespoon and a half per dog per evening meal when its coldest and driest out and it really does the trick.

If he has a sensitive tummy, you may have to consider the possibility of a food intolerance or allergy--often food intolerance and itching go hand-in-hand. So if the oil doesn't work, you could try an elimination diet--you eliminate ingredients one by one over the course of a few weeks to see if the itching gets better when something is excluded.[/QUOTE]

:shrug:Allergic sensitive tummy :ca:

Jull March 23rd, 2013 11:21 AM

Virgin Coconut oil is very good for their coats and skin too, and not to mention they love the taste (1 teaspoon per 10lbs). I also use oat meal shampoo for them.

Barkingdog March 23rd, 2013 11:56 AM

When your kick his hind leg that is called an involuntary reflex and all dogs will do it .

minmin12 March 24th, 2013 10:55 AM

Great

[QUOTE=Jull;1055600]Virgin Coconut oil is very good for their coats and skin too, and not to mention they love the taste (1 teaspoon per 10lbs). I also use oat meal shampoo for them.[/QUOTE]

Unable to give him oil of any kind diarrea instantly. Considering oatmeal shampoo is this home made or store bought;):dog:

hazelrunpack March 24th, 2013 11:01 AM

If he's allergic, have you tried an elimination diet? If you can pinpoint what he's allergic to, you can maybe improve not only his tummy, but his skin and fur.

Barkingdog March 24th, 2013 02:58 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1055628]If he's allergic, have you tried an elimination diet? If you can pinpoint what he's allergic to, you can maybe improve not only his tummy, but his skin and fur.[/QUOTE]

If I understand this correctly it sound like the dog is only scratching when it's getting rubbed on the tummy and this is causing the leg to move involuntary. All dogs will do that and it has nothing to with food allergic.

Jull March 24th, 2013 06:27 PM

[QUOTE=minmin12;1055626]Unable to give him oil of any kind diarrea instantly. Considering oatmeal shampoo is this home made or store bought;):dog:[/QUOTE]

I buy it at the pet store.

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1055628]If he's allergic, have you tried an elimination diet? If you can pinpoint what he's allergic to, you can maybe improve not only his tummy, but his skin and fur.[/QUOTE]

I agree you need to get to the root of all symptoms instead of treating one by one.

[QUOTE=Barkingdog;1055641]If I understand this correctly it sound like the dog is only scratching when it's getting rubbed on the tummy and this is causing the leg to move involuntary. All dogs will do that and it has nothing to with food allergic.[/QUOTE]

lol yes now I am confused :)