Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Certain batches of canned Wellness recalled (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75549)

sugarcatmom February 28th, 2011 10:15 PM

Certain batches of canned Wellness recalled

[url]http://www.caninecreek.com/news.htm[/url]

Wellness Cat Food Can Recall (2/28/11) - Press Release from WellPet

WELLPET LLC VOLUNTARILY RECALLS
CERTAIN LOTS OF CANNED CAT FOOD
No Other Lots, Products or Dates Affected

Tewksbury, MA (February 28, 2011) - WellPet LLC announced today it has voluntarily recalled certain lots of Wellness® canned cat food.

While recent laboratory testing found that most lots of Wellness canned cat food that were tested contain sufficient amounts of thiamine (also known as Vitamin B1), some of the lots listed below might contain less than adequate levels of thiamine. However, out of an abundance of caution, WellPet has decided to recall all of the lots listed below.

Cats fed only the affected lots for several weeks may be at risk for developing a thiamine deficiency. Thiamine is essential for cats. Symptoms of deficiency displayed by an affected cat can be gastrointestinal or neurological in nature. Early signs of thiamine deficiency may include decreased appetite, salivation, vomiting, and weight loss. In advanced cases, neurologic signs can develop, which may include ventriflexion (bending towards the floor) of the neck, wobbly walking, circling, falling, and seizures. If your cat has consumed the recalled lots and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian. If treated promptly, thiamine deficiency is typically reversible.

The lots involved in this voluntary recall are:
Wellness Canned Cat (all flavors and sizes) with best by dates from 14APR 13 through 30SEP13; Wellness Canned Cat Chicken & Herring (all sizes) with 10NOV13 or 17NOV13 best buy dates.

Consumers who still have cans of cat food from these lots should stop feeding them to their cats and call us at (877) 227-9587 Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 7:00 pm Eastern Time. Consumers with further questions should visit our website at [url]www.wellnesspetfood.com[/url] or call us at this same number.

WellPet discovered the lower thiamine levels during independent testing conducted together with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in response to a single, isolated consumer complaint received by the FDA. Although WellPet has received no other reports concerning thiamine in its products, WellPet has taken additional steps with the manufacturer to ensure that this does not happen again.

“As a pet parent myself, I’m concerned for the health and welfare of all pets, and as a company we are committed to delivering the most nutritious natural pet food,” said Tim Callahan, chief executive officer of WellPet, the maker of Wellness products. “Even though the chance of a cat developing a thiamine deficiency is extremely remote, we are voluntarily recalling all of these lots of our canned cat food as an extra precaution.”

kathryn February 28th, 2011 11:33 PM

I think I have quite a few in my cabinet right now :mad: I know "accidents happen" but even just one recall is enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Ugh! *goes to check*

Edit:

Looks like I don't have any recalled ones.. beef & salmon is 09 JUN 13, Chicken & Lobster I have a 09 JUN 13 and 20 OCT 13.

Holistic select isn't affected I hope? I am mainly using Wellness and Eagle Pack for the big cans anymore... cats LOVE all the flavours and they are relatively cheap compared to the expensive luxe foods I get.

krdahmer March 1st, 2011 07:26 AM

thanks SCM! Found three cans in my cupboard...and they happen to be the ones I give to Smoke who only eats wet food! Just got them friday and hadn't used any yet.

Love4himies March 1st, 2011 07:44 AM

Thank you so much SCM :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:. I am at work, but will be checking my Wellness cans when I get home.

This is just another example of why people should be feeding different brands of pet food. Even though a company can be very high quality, errors can always happen.

sugarcatmom March 1st, 2011 08:23 AM

[QUOTE=Love4himies;989466]
This is just another example of why people should be feeding different brands of pet food. [/QUOTE]

:thumbs up I so totally agree!

diandpat March 1st, 2011 08:32 AM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;989395][url]http://www.caninecreek.com/news.htm[/url]

Wellness Canned Cat (all flavors and sizes) with best by dates from 14APR 13 through 30SEP13; Wellness Canned Cat Chicken & Herring (all sizes) with 10NOV13 or 17NOV13 best buy dates.

[QUOTE=kathryn;989415]IEdit:

Looks like I don't have any recalled ones.. beef & salmon is 09 JUN 13, Chicken & Lobster I have a 09 JUN 13 and 20 OCT 13.

[/QUOTE]

I know it is still morning and I am still on my first cup but Kathryn don't those dates fall under the recall?

chico2 March 1st, 2011 08:37 AM

Thank's SCM,I have 5 cans best before dated at 25sept13...but I also feed them Natural Balance and something new called Performance Pets and Holistic select...should I return the cans of Wellness:shrug:

ancientgirl March 1st, 2011 09:04 AM

Here's what I found:

Wellness Canned Cat (all flavors and sizes) with best by dates from 14APR 13 through 30SEP13;

Wellness Canned Cat Chicken & Herring (all sizes) with 10NOV13 or 17NOV13 best buy dates.

Consumers who still have cans of cat food from these lots should stop feeding them to their cats and call us at (877) 227-9587 Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 7:00 pm Eastern Time. Consumers with further questions should visit our website at [url]www.wellnesspetfood.com[/url] or call us at this same number.

[url]http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/wellness-cat-food-recall.html[/url]

Truth about pet food is a good sight. They regularly send out updates on recalls.

kathryn March 1st, 2011 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=diandpat;989494][QUOTE=sugarcatmom;989395][url]http://www.caninecreek.com/news.htm[/url]

I know it is still morning and I am still on my first cup but Kathryn don't those dates fall under the recall?[/QUOTE]

They do.. don't they... trying to figure out number related things isn't my best quality, especially not when I am half asleep :D

Don't mind me... :loser:

14+kitties March 1st, 2011 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=kathryn;989415]I think I have quite a few in my cabinet right now :mad: I know "accidents happen" but even just one recall is enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Ugh! *goes to check*[/QUOTE]

I agree with this somewhat but a voluntary recall IMO is much better than a forced one. They are admitting they made a mistake and are doing what they should be doing. In my eyes that puts them a step above. :shrug:

Masha March 1st, 2011 01:36 PM

Grrrrr....:mad: I have an entire case of these... 28SEP13 so within their range... from some reason though last time i also bught a stack of merrick's and been feeding them one day wellness one day merrick... so they didnt eat too much of that batch (2-3 large cans) but i dont know about my previous batch that they already finished and i threw out... grrrr.... :mad: now one more thing to deal with.. not happy...

Masha March 1st, 2011 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;989545]I agree with this somewhat but a voluntary recall IMO is much better than a forced one. They are admitting they made a mistake and are doing what they should be doing. In my eyes that puts them a step above. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Yes voluntary is better than forced, but after working in a Product Safety dept of a retailer corp. I know there are MANY ways of testing batches each time if a company wants to prevent recalls... all they haev to do is invest a little bit of $ to ensure that each batch where there is a forumla/any production change is tested... unfortunately it costs money and we know what that means...

mharrigan March 1st, 2011 01:57 PM

I just switched my cat over to this brand, and he LOVES it. Very sad I have to take it away from him. Hopefully they get it cleared up quickly and I can begin feeding it to him again soon.

chico2 March 1st, 2011 05:04 PM

I guess I have to return my cans to the store,I assume they'll send all theirs back...so I suppose any cans dated later than 30sept13 will be ok:shrug:
I am glad I bought a nice mixture this time...

kathryn March 1st, 2011 05:11 PM

So, I called the number and they are going to send me a coupon, but they told me to toss the food.. which I really can't feel good about doing :o because I'm weird like that. It should be okay to just use the 3 cans anyways, right? It's not like they are contaminated :shrug: My cats eat Fromm dry food too, and I ALWAYS rotate the canned food... should be okay then?

chico2 March 1st, 2011 05:18 PM

I was wondering that too,but I certainly don't want the cats to get sick:(
The store where I go,will take the cans back,I just hope they have a safe batch.
My boys like Wellness,I would buy Merrick,but it seems it's not pate,they won't eat anything in chunks or slices,does anyone know if Merrick comes in pate-form??

kathryn March 1st, 2011 05:21 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;989648]
My boys like Wellness,I would buy Merrick,but it seems it's not pate,they won't eat anything in chunks or slices,does anyone know if Merrick comes in pate-form??[/QUOTE]

No, unless you get the B.G. formula, which is fairly boring IMO. My cats will no longer eat Merrick, which kind of makes me sad because I like the company. I kept finding that they regurgitated the food EVERY time after eating Merrick. First I thought it was coincidence, but ever since I took them off it, rarely ever happens :shrug: And I mean it was 4-6 of them barfing each time, not just 1. I realized it was the texture, as any other brand that has chunky-ish food makes them puke. It either has to be total pate mush like Wellness or shreds like Weruva or it's puke time!

Love4himies March 1st, 2011 05:24 PM

Welll every single one of my cans are on the recall list :frustrated:.

I am so glad I mix my brands and feed homemade raw. Just eliminates room for error.

chico2 March 1st, 2011 05:25 PM

Yes,the same problem here,or they'll just lick the gravy and the rest goes in the garbage.
Thank's Kathryn,the girl in the store did not know..

sugarcatmom March 1st, 2011 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=kathryn;989645]. It should be okay to just use the 3 cans anyways, right? It's not like they are contaminated :shrug: My cats eat Fromm dry food too, and I ALWAYS rotate the canned food... should be okay then?[/QUOTE]

My personal opinion is that it would be okay to feed them as long as you are also feeding other foods to balance out the thiamine deficit. I mentioned in another thread that I'm not even going to check if my cans are on the recall list because I feed my cats so many other brands (and raw) along with the Wellness that to me it doesn't matter if they aren't 100% nutritionally complete. If that was ALL I was feeding, it would be a totally different story though.

kathryn March 1st, 2011 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;989663]My personal opinion is that it would be okay to feed them as long as you are also feeding other foods to balance out the thiamine deficit. I mentioned in another thread that I'm not even going to check if my cans are on the recall list because I feed my cats so many other brands (and raw) along with the Wellness that to me it doesn't matter if they aren't 100% nutritionally complete. If that was ALL I was feeding, it would be a totally different story though.[/QUOTE]

Okay, sounds fine with me. I will just use the cans then. I'd feel bad throwing them out. Hey maybe if we are supposed to toss the ones where I work I can have them all LOL they have a long enough expiry date, so if I just space out the feedings... :thumbs up

ancientgirl March 1st, 2011 06:18 PM

[QUOTE=kathryn;989649] I kept finding that they regurgitated the food EVERY time after eating Merrick. First I thought it was coincidence, but ever since I took them off it, rarely ever happens :shrug: And I mean it was 4-6 of them barfing each time, not just 1. I realized it was the texture, as any other brand that has chunky-ish food makes them puke. It either has to be total pate mush like Wellness or shreds like Weruva or it's puke time![/QUOTE]

My gang has the same problem. Every time I've tried giving them Merrick, 2 or 3 of them react badly to it.

kathryn March 1st, 2011 06:39 PM

[QUOTE=ancientgirl;989670]My gang has the same problem. Every time I've tried giving them Merrick, 2 or 3 of them react badly to it.[/QUOTE]

Glad it is not just me!! It also happens with Natures Variety Prarie Homestyle dishes, that have the chunky stews. I still recommend them to people with cats who prefer the chunks, but when you have 12 cats and it makes 'em all sick to their stomachs that is not fun LOL

ancientgirl March 1st, 2011 06:44 PM

[QUOTE=kathryn;989675]Glad it is not just me!! It also happens with Natures Variety Prarie Homestyle dishes, that have the chunky stews. I still recommend them to people with cats who prefer the chunks, but when you have 12 cats and it makes 'em all sick to their stomachs that is not fun LOL[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I gave it to them once, then stopped, then thought I'd give it another try and the same thing happened. That was it for me.

DougG March 1st, 2011 08:28 PM

I had half a dozen cans of chicken & turkey in the pantry that are in the recall date range... and to date I've fed four cans to my three Himmies. The two remaining cans are now in the garbage.

I'm not really worried though as I give them a lot of variety (Natural Balance, EVO, Go! Natural, Holistic Select, and a number of others in steady rotation) and Wellness makes up only a small / infrequent part of their diet these days.

I do have about 20 cans of CORE (bought a box) with an expiry date of March 18 2013 - outside the recall date range but I think I'll hold off giving them any for the time being, and I'll watch to see if the recall dates are broadened.

chico2 March 2nd, 2011 10:02 AM

SCM,thank you,my 2 eat about 3 different kinds of canned at the moment,maybe I'll keep them too.
I am just a little concerned that there might be something more sinister,since they advice people to throw the cans out:shrug:

DougG March 2nd, 2011 11:26 AM

Where do they say to throw it out? The communiqué says to [I]"call WellPet at 1-877-227-9587 to arrange for return of the product and reimbursement"[/I].

I threw my two remaining cans out and I don't care about reimbursement for them. If it were twenty cans it would be another story altogether and I'd ask for my money back though.

kathryn March 2nd, 2011 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=DougG;989826]Where do they say to throw it out? The communiqué says to [I]"call WellPet at 1-877-227-9587 to arrange for return of the product and reimbursement"[/I].

I threw my two remaining cans out and I don't care about reimbursement for them. If it were twenty cans it would be another story altogether and I'd ask for my money back though.[/QUOTE]

I talked to a rep from Wellness, she told me to just chuck them and took down my mailing address for reimbursement. I'm just going to use regardless, and hey, a coupon for a few free cans will be here soon :) Fine with me..

mharrigan March 2nd, 2011 12:41 PM

thankfully my pet store had cases of Wellness that were outside of the recall date so I can continue to feed my guy Wellness food - he loves it!

Love4himies March 2nd, 2011 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;989797]SCM,thank you,my 2 eat about 3 different kinds of canned at the moment,maybe I'll keep them too.
I am just a little concerned that there might be something more sinister,since they advice people to throw the cans out:shrug:[/QUOTE]

Because Thiamine is not stored in a cat's body and can cause some pretty severe symptoms when a cat becomes depleted of it. It helps the nervous system, including the heartbeat rates. If somebody has bought cases that were on the recall list to feed their cat over the next few months, it could be serious.

I am surprised that they are not telling people to return it to the place it was purchased from :shrug:.