Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chronic illness? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3186)

gq_delux February 21st, 2004 01:29 PM

Chronic illness?

My youngest cat, Brighton, (male, 5 months old) has been sick ever since I have owned him. He barely weighed a pound when I purchased him from the pet store when he was 9 weeks old. He is a voracious eater, but had a problem with vomiting and diarreaha. The only local vet in town gave him medication that helped with the diarreaha for a while, and he hasnt vomited in months. However, his stool is very loose and he relapses into full fledged water stool every 3 weeks or so. The vet put him on steroids and they worked for about 10 days, but now he is sick again. He either gains weight quickly or looses weight even quicker, depending on his stool condition. I have had him on antibiotics as well, but they only worked for as long as he was on them, but the vet doesnt want him to be on them anymore (figures the steroids would work better.) He is eating Science Diet Z/D (low allergy) food to help with his digestion. Is there anything I can do for my Brighton so he doesnt have to go through this vicious cycle of diarreaha every few weeks? The vet here is stumped, and Brighton is getting worse and losing weight as we speak.

Spoiled February 21st, 2004 03:42 PM

Could you take him to another vet and get a second opinion?

mona_b February 21st, 2004 03:48 PM

Pet store?Sorry to say but that figures.:(

What tests have been done on him?

Yes I would get a second opinion.

Also,if he is getting worse please take him to an emergency vet.

Poor kitty.

chico2 February 21st, 2004 04:47 PM

Delux,you say there is only one vet in town,maybe he is not so up to date on treatment? Maybe you should go to the next town and get another opinion.
If you have been feeding him the same food all the time,try changing it to kitten-food(good quality).
Diarrreha and vomiting will dehydrate him and it could be fatal.
Does he have water to drink,does he drink?

wAggie February 22nd, 2004 12:52 AM

:(

yes, 2nd opinion is good

yes, pet stores have ultra low-grade breeders.

but isn't Science Diet on the lower-med end of the food spectrum??! :confused:

that Hill brand is supposed to be better, right?

Luba February 25th, 2004 07:04 PM

Pet stores use puppy mills
who knows what this pup was exposed to and how 'unhealthy' the parents were

get another opinion these are the pups developmental stages and are very important

Hills makes Science Diet

mona_b February 25th, 2004 08:12 PM

Psssssssssst Luba,

This is a cat not a puppy....................lmao.:p

Lucky Rescue February 25th, 2004 08:22 PM

Luba, are you getting into the hard stuff lately?:p

Agree - see another vet for the kitty. Since he came from a pet store, he could have any number of things wrong with him - possibly a congenital defect.

Better to get to the bottom of the problem once and for all. Steroids taken over the long term are very damaging.

mona_b February 25th, 2004 09:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing LR...This is twice for her.LOL

mona_b February 25th, 2004 09:26 PM

gq....how is Brighton?

Please let us know.

wAggie February 26th, 2004 09:56 PM

hahaha

two nuts in a shell --> me & Luba

;) :p