Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   PLEASE tell me there's other options?!? (My dog's paralyzed from spinal cord injury) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83639)

JaspyBaby March 19th, 2013 02:56 AM

PLEASE tell me there's other options?!? (My dog's paralyzed from spinal cord injury)

I just found out that my little Jaspybaby is permanently paralyzed in his hindlegs due to a spinal cord injury. :cry: He's a 2.5 yr old Peekapoo --- and he means the absolute world to me. My parents were pet sitting him for a few days -- he jumped off their bed (nothing out of the ordinary), let out a loud yelp, and couldn't get up. That was it. All it took. Paralyzed. I still can't believe it.

A few months ago, Jaspy had a similar episode where he slipped a disc in his spinal cord and fully recovered in about a week or so. He was just doing his usual "yay! mommy's home from work" routine and it happened while he was jumping. He lost feeling in his legs and couldn't walk or really move but he DID have pain sensation when the vet pinched his back legs. I was hoping and praying that it was the same thing this time.

We took him to the vet my mom takes her dogs to and they pretty much said that he has a zero percent chance of recovery, it's too late for the surgery and that I should just euthanize him. I was SPEECHLESS when the vet told me this. Not only was she so obnoxiously blunt and inconsiderate but she's basically telling me to just give up on the thing I love most.

I'm taking Jasper to the animal hospital in our area tomorrow morning but I just don't know what to expect. And to make matters worse, my financial situation really sucks right now - so it's not like I can afford just anything. But just the thought of putting him down breaks my heart in a million pieces. My parents think I'm being selfish by putting him through all this and that it's not fair for him to live the rest of his life without being able to walk. I'm so torn. I don't know what to do.

Is what the Vet said really the only option? I mean - there HAS to be others. ....right?
Does anyone have any insight or advice for me?
AM I being selfish?
Has anyone else gone through something like this or heard of any dogs fully recovering from hindlimb paralysis??

sugarcatmom March 19th, 2013 07:24 AM

So sorry to hear about Jasper! Crossing my fingers that it isn't permanent, but in the meantime a second opinion sounds like a good idea.... I personally wouldn't make the drastic decision to euthanize based on one opinion from a vet I didn't already have a good relationship with. Also, even if Jasper remains paralyzed, there may be options to keep him happy and comfortable. There's a great website that helps people deal with situations just like yours: [url]http://www.handicappedpets.com/[/url]

Good luck!

Jull March 19th, 2013 09:19 AM

I'm so sorry about your little one... I would definitely be looking for a second opinion, there are so many new therapies now days that can help, and even if it was true that she wouldn't be able to recover there is other options to help them keep mobile, that website that sugarcatmom is great.

Let us know how it went at the animal hospital :goodvibes::goodvibes:

Barkingdog March 19th, 2013 11:05 AM

Have you looked into getting some wheels for dog? I just saw a dog that had wheels on his near end and the dog seem to not mind at all. I have a small dog too and he has tricks knees , I better be careful about letting him jump off my bed. I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I wonder if acupuncture treatments could .

MaxaLisa March 19th, 2013 01:27 PM

Crate rest and antiinflammatories asap, liver support for the anti-inflammatories. I might alo bathe the joints in something like hyaluronic acid (joint supplement), or adequan (canada and other non-US places use a different injectible product, cartrophen vet).

Since there was a trigger event, I might hope that getting the inflammation down would help.

I personally would get to a certified chiroparctor asap ([url]www.avcadoctors.com[/url] , not a VOM vet that might say they do chiro but down't). I prefer the chiros that are also chiros for humans, but they all receive significant training and upon examination will be able to tell you if chiro is appropriate for your dog's current situation. My dog's chiro has rehabbed a number of dogs that could not walk.

There is a spinal stroke called an FCE, and sometimes the dog will recover slowly over time, though acupuncture is a huge help there.

I am o very sorry, this is a terrible position to be in.

JaspyBaby March 22nd, 2013 10:51 PM

Thank you all for your replies! I truly appreciate it and it means more to me than you'll ever know that all of you took the time to respond. I'm sorry it took so long to respond but I've just been busy with the lil guy.

I took JaspyBaby for his appointment at the animal hospital for the second opinion. The vet there was much more caring and encouraging and supportive than that first vet. She let me know that he is unfortunately paralyzed in his hindlimbs. But she DID confirm for me that he's not in any type of pain and in no time should be back to his normal self, mentally. She explained to me that it's going to be ALOT of work and time to care for him with conservative management but if I'm willing to do it then there is absolutely no reason why not to.

At this point she put him on a steroid, pain/discomfort medication, and muscle relaxer with strict crate rest for 6-8 weeks to allow the spine to heal before any therapy or carts or what not.

So, I'm going to just take it one day at a time and hope and pray for the best! We can use all the support and encouragement we can get :)

sugarcatmom March 22nd, 2013 11:10 PM

[QUOTE=JaspyBaby;1055562]The vet there was much more caring and encouraging and supportive than that first vet. [/quote]

:thumbs up

[QUOTE=JaspyBaby;1055562]We can use all the support and encouragement we can get :)[/QUOTE]

:goodvibes::grouphug: Sending you and JaspyBaby massive big hugs.