Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce yourself here - Say hello (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Introduction and Thanks! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10907)

SunnysMum January 6th, 2005 02:36 PM

Introduction and Thanks!

Hi!

I've been reading this site for about 6 months and just wanted to introduce myself and to thank you guys for helping me and my family create a nice home for our rescue cat, Sunny Boy. We adopted Sunny Boy from our local Humane Society just over 6 months ago. They rescued him from a shelter where he was scheduled for euthanasia. He was their "office mascot" while they waited for a family to adopt him. That family turned out to be us (love at first sight). My husband has been a cat owner before, but for me and my 9-year old daughter, Sunny Boy is our first. We did a lot of research and preparation before we adopted - but we still needed some help. We found it here!

Sunny is a gorgeous 4-year old, three-legged, medium-haired black cat with a ton of purrsonality! We have no idea how or why he lost his leg (and like Sunny's vet said, we probably never will), but we don't think Sunny realizes that he's supposed to have 4 legs (he can 'fly' up and down our stairs with the greatest of ease!) On the whole, he's a very well behaved cat. He's got a few quirks (but as my husband says...don't we all.... :p ) but thanks to all the information we've found on this site, we've learned to understand him (and I like to think he is starting to understand us too). My husband and I were talking recently.....we've both noticed that Sunny is getting more and more comfortable and he definitely likes his new home. He loves to be petted (wants lots of loving in the morning, even before he wants his breakfast!!) and we are rewarded with lots of kisses and purrs. He has quickly become the boss of our household and we all enjoy spoiling him. He's follows us around wherever we go. He's a chatty fellow who lets us know what's on his mind. When company comes over - he's right there in the middle of everything. We can't imagine why anyone would have abandoned a wonderful cat like him. :confused:

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I'm glad I found this site (heard about it on City TV actually, just after we adopted Sunny). The information on the site and on this forum have been extremely helpful!!!

Cheers!
SunnysMum

Lucky Rescue January 6th, 2005 02:56 PM

Welcome and thank YOU for adopting Sunny Boy!! So many people will not adopt an animal who is less than perfect and these ones can turn out to the best ones of all.:)

Please post some pics of him!

mastifflover January 6th, 2005 03:08 PM

Welcome and ditto what Lucky said imperfect animals make up for shortcomings in other ways you and Sunny are both lucky to have found each other.

LL1 January 6th, 2005 03:14 PM

Welcome and congratulations! I'd love to see pictures. Special needs rescues grab my heart too.

sammiec January 6th, 2005 03:18 PM

Welcome to Pets.ca!!! I'm so glad that you and Sunny are doing so well. He sounds wonderful!!! I look forward to posting with you!!! AND Pictures!!!!! :D

marko January 6th, 2005 03:38 PM

YES! A very warm welcome to you! :party:

SunnysMum January 6th, 2005 04:30 PM

Thank for the warm welcome! Very much appreciated!

When we adopted Sunny, it really didn't occur to us that folks would question our choice -- but some did :confused: More than once we heard "you had all those cats to choose from and you chose the one with three legs?" My daughter stopped a few adults in their tracks with "you have to see past the disability" (she couldn't understand some of the reactions...)

Anyway, he is a wonderful, playful and bossy cat and a great new family member.

I tried to attach a picture...but it seems my files are too big :sad: Hopefully I'll be able to get some smaller ones soon and attach them.... If you have any pointers on how I can do this in the meantime, that'd be great.

Cheers!
SunnysMum

mastifflover January 6th, 2005 04:31 PM

I am pretty useless with resizing so I opened a photobucket.com acct free and they can view my album and I can actually attach pictures from there to here

chico2 January 6th, 2005 04:39 PM

Sunnysmom,what I nice story and I am very happy for Sunny,3 legs five or six would never bother me,it's the purrmachine that is important.. :D
Disabilitys are only disabilitys in human eyes,animals have a wonderful way of adapting to whatever is dealt them.
Also,welcome to the Forum,hopefully someone can help you with the pics :grouphug:

SunnysMum January 6th, 2005 07:40 PM

I'm bombing out trying to attach my picture....sigh.... But here's a link to one. (Thanks for the tip Mastifflover.)

Sunny doesn't jump on tabletops or counters - most people think he can't -- but he can. He just doesn't. He does enjoy jumping up on the windowsils and walking around there. And, he likes to climb onto the back of the couch (and if my link works, you'll be able to see him do it). It's his back right leg that's missing - but you can't see it in this picture. Actually, we don't have a picture that you can really notice it in. To us, he's just a normal cat!

[URL]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/SunnyMum/38cb308c.jpg[/URL]

Cheers!

Lucky Rescue January 6th, 2005 09:15 PM

I just see a big beautiful and VERY lucky boy!:D

CyberKitten January 6th, 2005 11:05 PM

Sunny looks adorable and you are lucky to have him and him to havd found you!! How wonderful that you adopted him. It seems preferable to have a kitty with a disability - you are truly giving him hope. He looks like a real character!!

Congratulations and welcome!

krdahmer January 7th, 2005 11:24 AM

Yes, congratulations and welcome :) ... SunnyBoy is a handsome fella! And Kudos to your daughter... she knew just what to say, and sometimes we adults need a lesson like that! :thumbs up

whinnie-boo January 7th, 2005 01:06 PM

Welcome to PETS.CA...Sunny is too Cute...More pic's please. He looks just like my MANGO... I think its his eyes.
Seeing that Pic, makes me want to sneak out of the office, and go home to snuggle mine.....

SunnysMum January 7th, 2005 02:55 PM

Thanks again for your kind welcomes. I'm glad you think Sunny Boy is as cute as we think he is. :thumbs up

I'm lucky, Most of the time, I work out of my home office, and Sunny usually sleeps at my feet (like he's doing right now). My little furry 'office assistant' sure helps keeps the stress level down!

Here's more links to pictures! (Can't you tell that I'm a very proud and happy new Cat Mum???) ;)

Cheers!
[URL]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/SunnyMum/01440019.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/SunnyMum/04780020.jpg[/URL]

shihtzulover January 7th, 2005 03:24 PM

He's beautiful. He looks very healthy and happy in his new home. :love:

mastifflover January 7th, 2005 03:24 PM

This guy is so cute who cares if he is a tripod probably gives him more character. I told you photobucket for those who cant it saved me.

Britishvixen21 January 7th, 2005 09:57 PM

what a cutie pie

WOw what a wonderful story, I also stumbled upon this site not long ago, and some of the help has been invaluable.
Sunny really is something else, My aunt recently adopted two sister cats who had been left in a BBQ in -40 degrees and one of them lost a leg from frostbite, but you would never know it she bounds around and has tons of love to give, it was a fight not to take her home with us!
Congrats on finding your furry freind.

Sneaky2006 January 7th, 2005 10:41 PM

Welcome! Your boy is too cute! If we were on the lookout for another kitty and saw him, we'd have taken him in a second too... Congrats to you and your family! :love: