Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat product reviews (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Peticure - nail filing tool for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50783)

ancientgirl March 24th, 2008 11:34 AM

Peticure - nail filing tool for cats and dogs

Hi guys. I was watching Animal Planet this morning and saw this product. I went to the website and had a look at the little video they have and it looks like something really useful.

[URL="http://www.peticure.com/"]Peticure[/URL]

It's basically a power tool for filing pets nails down. It looks like a Dremmel, and they even sell a nail guard to fit Dremmels.

I think this is something I'd like to get. I would much rather file down the Fantastic 4's nails than cut them, since this product looks like it's safer to use and there's little chance of cutting their quick.

duttypaws March 24th, 2008 01:14 PM

omg I was just laughing at this while in the petstore while i was geting Lola her litter tray!!

it was a bone shaped nail file...

ancientgirl March 24th, 2008 01:22 PM

Oh no, it's not shaped like a fish bone. It looks like a small power tool. Did you open the link?

duttypaws March 24th, 2008 01:23 PM

yes i must have seen the wimpy version today.... from my dog in the uk he wouldnt sit long enough id only just file my hand!!! :laughing:

i also saw a water fountain!! :lightbulb:

ancientgirl March 24th, 2008 02:03 PM

Yeah, I have a bit of a hard time cutting my little one's nails. This thing looks like it would work well, and I wouldn't have to worry about cutting too much. It says to just file the nail for cats for about 3 seconds which is pretty fast.

Frenchy January 2nd, 2009 11:27 PM

I'm bumping this thread up because I've been seeing the commercial on tv over and over again and I would really like to know if anyone here has tried it ?

angeldogs January 2nd, 2009 11:32 PM

That looks like the one i just bought at petsmart as jag is scared of the clippers.the one i bought works well.just takes a bit to get used to and makes the nails nice and smooth.and jag sat there well i did two nail.

Frenchy January 2nd, 2009 11:35 PM

[QUOTE=angeldogs;724125]That looks like the one i just bought at petsmart as jag is scared of the clippers.the one i bought works well.just takes a bit to get used to and makes the nails nice and smooth.and jag sat there well i did two nail.[/QUOTE]

I heard that pet stores started to sell them (maybe from another company though) may I ask how much you paid for it ? What I'm afraid of is , paying $30-$40 and that Nelly would still be afraid of it.

happycats January 2nd, 2009 11:35 PM

There is another one (paw something) at the showcase store, that actually looks like it would work better then this one......but I would also like to know how they both work and which one is better :shrug:

happycats January 2nd, 2009 11:37 PM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;724130]I heard that pet stores started to sell them (maybe from another company though) may I ask how much you paid for it ? What I'm afraid of is , paying $30-$40 and that Nelly would still be afraid of it.[/QUOTE]

they say to turn it on and give lovings and treats to get the pet used to the sound before ever trying it one their nails.

Frenchy January 2nd, 2009 11:40 PM

humm , it makes noise ?! arrgg , then I'm pretty sure Nelly would freak out :eek: she pees on the floor and runs away when she sees me getting near her with the nail cutters. In 2 years , I was only able to cut 2 of her nails. I have to get her to the vet and they have to be 2 persons to do it. :eek: Same with Chloé but she isn't afraid , just hates it.

angeldogs January 2nd, 2009 11:41 PM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;724130]I heard that pet stores started to sell them (maybe from another company though) may I ask how much you paid for it ? What I'm afraid of is , paying $30-$40 and that Nelly would still be afraid of it.[/QUOTE]

It was 19.99+ taxes.came with one attached and a spare one in the box and you can also buy 12 replacements for 9.99+taxes.it's not heavy and fairly quite,takes 2 C battery's.

Mine is with the woman i work with as i just had jags nails clipped and we have used it on her boy Neika,and a rescue puppy.we both like it.i won't clip jags nails and at $11 a pop i like this thing will get lots of use.

Frenchy January 2nd, 2009 11:50 PM

At $19.99 , that is not so bad ! :thumbs up

Yes I'm tired too of paying $12.00 X2 and to drive 40 kms for this every time !

angeldogs January 3rd, 2009 12:00 AM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;724146]At $19.99 , that is not so bad ! :thumbs up

Yes I'm tired too of paying $12.00 X2 and to drive 40 kms for this every time ![/QUOTE]

I figure at what it was costing to get his nails trimmed this will save me money.and it really isn't that load.Linda is going to get her own after trying mine.I'm glad i bought it.

I believe it's called pedipaws.Just looked it up and thats the name of it.only with a picture of a paw between pedi and paw.

ancientgirl January 3rd, 2009 08:55 AM

There's another smaller one that I'm thinking of buying for my gang. It's really small and compact. These don't seem to be really designed for cats. :sad:

Frenchy January 3rd, 2009 10:58 AM

[QUOTE=ancientgirl;724299] These don't seem to be really designed for cats. :sad:[/QUOTE]

I thought it was weird too , their claws are so much smaller :shrug:

ancientgirl January 3rd, 2009 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;724316]I thought it was weird too , their claws are so much smaller :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, smaller and more curved. Dogs nails seem to grown out a little straighter it seems than cats. It's just very awkward.

I even tried taking off the guard but that didn't work very well either.

Chaser January 3rd, 2009 11:06 AM

We got the PediPaws about a month ago and also paid $19.99. Kailey hates her nails being done but isn't afraid of noise at all. It's made things a lot easier with her, but her nails are just almost too tough for it. We can manage, but I don't think it would be very effective on a dog over say 80 lbs. You'd need something more porweful for them I think.

[B]Frenchy[/B] - Chase is terrified of pretty much any strange noise, he's very jumpy that way. When we turned it on he flew into our bedroom and hid. We couldn't even have it in the same room in order to give treats and praise! Between the noise and not being quite tough enough I'd say it's a no go for sure with Nelly. Might help you with Chloe though (just put Nelly somewhere else when you turn it on!)

[B]AG[/B] - My friend is a groomer and she loves these new tools for dogs, but said she would not use it on a cat despite what the commercails say. She said their nails are far too soft for it. Could be another reason your're having trouble.

Hope that's helpful :)

Frenchy January 3rd, 2009 11:15 AM

Thanks for the report Chase Mom. The way you describe it , I don't think Nelly would go for it. :eek: But maybe after a few times on Chloé , Nelly would get use to it. IF Chloé lets me :laughing: but at least I know Bailey won't mind.

ancientgirl January 3rd, 2009 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=Chase_Mom;724323]
[B]AG[/B] - My friend is a groomer and she loves these new tools for dogs, but said she would not use it on a cat despite what the commercails say. She said their nails are far too soft for it. Could be another reason your're having trouble.

Hope that's helpful :)[/QUOTE]

The softness wasn't an issue actually. It was more the position of the guard and the actual filing tool.:shrug: There is another tool that looks like it might work easier for the curve of a cats nails. I don't know, I just get really nervous cutting their nails, especially since I cut Vlad's quick once before and I felt terrible for the poor guy. I'm surprised he still even lets me cut his nails.

ancientgirl January 3rd, 2009 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;724326]Thanks for the report Chase Mom. The way you describe it , I don't think Nelly would go for it. :eek: But maybe after a few times on Chloé , Nelly would get use to it. IF Chloé lets me :laughing: but at least I know Bailey won't mind.[/QUOTE]

If you go to the website that sells it they have a little video showing you how you can start to get them used to the noise so they don't freak out so much.

Chaser January 3rd, 2009 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=ancientgirl;724327]I just get really nervous cutting their nails, especially since I cut Vlad's quick once before and I felt terrible for the poor guy. I'm surprised he still even lets me cut his nails.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling. We've cut both our dogs' quicks and it feels awful. The PediPaws has been great for Kailey that way. She kicks us whenever we touch her paws, so with the clippers she would kick every time we tried to make the cut and we'd slip and go way too short. Made me cry more than once :sad:

Hope the tiny one works out for you!

ancientgirl January 3rd, 2009 11:26 AM

Here's the other one:

[URL="https://www.nailgroomsale.com/Default.aspx?mid=525552&OVRAW=pet%20nail%20files&OVKEY=pet%20nail%20file&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=38765083522&OVKWID=172339017522"]Pet Zoom[/URL]

This one doesn't have a guard and it's curved so you sort of rest the nail in that curve. It looks like it might work better for cats. When I have some extra cash I'm going to order it and see if it works.

Chaser January 3rd, 2009 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=ancientgirl;724329]If you go to the website that sells it they have a little video showing you how you can start to get them used to the noise so they don't freak out so much.[/QUOTE]

That's fine for most dogs...we introduced it that way to Kailey with no problems. But Chase HATES weird noises. He would seriously jump out the window when we turn the vacuum on if he could. We couldn't even get him in the same room as the thing when it was still turned OFF to give him treats! He just hides in our bed and shakes.

Worst part is I have no idea how it happened...we exposed him to all kinds of noise as a pup and he was fine until about 8 months old. :shrug: One dog terrified of noises and the other of new people and dogs. Lucky us...:rolleyes:

Chaser January 3rd, 2009 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=ancientgirl;724332]Here's the other one:

[URL="https://www.nailgroomsale.com/Default.aspx?mid=525552&OVRAW=pet%20nail%20files&OVKEY=pet%20nail%20file&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=38765083522&OVKWID=172339017522"]Pet Zoom[/URL]

This one doesn't have a guard and it's curved so you sort of rest the nail in that curve. It looks like it might work better for cats. When I have some extra cash I'm going to order it and see if it works.[/QUOTE]

That one looks pretty promising I think....I really like the design. Let us know how it goes if you get it!

ancientgirl January 3rd, 2009 11:33 AM

They can't all be easy huh? Czari is the only one I can't cut myself. I have to take her to the vet's office to have them cut her nails for me because she gets all hissy and nippy if I try to do it myself.

A couple of weeks ago my dad saw Maks and Czari and asked me if I'd gotten more cats. I told him I'd had them for a while aready, Maks for over a year, but he'd just never seen them because they hide when someone knocks on the door.:laughing:

ancientgirl January 3rd, 2009 11:35 AM

[QUOTE=Chase_Mom;724335]That one looks pretty promising I think....I really like the design. Let us know how it goes if you get it![/QUOTE]

Yeah, since it's smaller I'm thinking it might be quieter and easier to manipulate. If I get it at some point, I'll post about it.

Melinda January 3rd, 2009 03:56 PM

it makes very little noise, it took Brina about 20 minutes of "touch" (treat), touch, (treat) and then I was able to use it on her, she doesn't mind it at all, I do a couple toes while cuddling on the couch, you have to make sure you're holding the toe you're working on so you don't hurt them, its a pretty good tool, I had her nails cut just before I started with it so now we take off the ends and keep them pretty short.

Frenchy January 3rd, 2009 04:05 PM

Melinda , do you have the Peticure or the Petipaws ?

angeldogs January 3rd, 2009 04:26 PM

It did jags nails no problem and made them nice and smooth the ones i did and he as thick nails

shirley1011 January 3rd, 2009 04:29 PM

We have pedipaws and all of our dogs hate it....they run as soon as they hear it...we tried getting them used to it without it being on...but they run once they realize it is making a noice.
So for us it is a dud.
The idea is great...the operation hopeless

Chaser January 3rd, 2009 04:46 PM

I think it entirely depends on the dog. I do think it's a great tool and does a very good job......but you just can't get some dogs near it! But it works for me on 1 of 2, so for $20 I'd say that's pretty good!

Frenchy January 3rd, 2009 05:17 PM

[QUOTE=Chase_Mom;724474]I think it entirely depends on the dog. I do think it's a great tool and does a very good job......but you just can't get some dogs near it! But it works for me on 1 of 2, so for $20 I'd say that's pretty good![/QUOTE]

I know Bailey won't mind at all so even if Chloé and Nelly don't like it , at least it won't be a waste of money :thumbs up

Smiley14 January 3rd, 2009 09:39 PM

I've had the Peticure for a year now. Got both the battery model and the corded model last Jan. They were expensive, but it was before the Pedipaws came out. The battery model lasted about 10 months before the battery died and from what I can tell, the battery cell can't be replaced, so I would not recommend that one. If you want battery operated, then go with the cheaper Pedipaws option. But I do love the corded model. It's a lot more powerful and works great on both big and small nails. Petey is TERRIFIED of getting his nails trimmed, puts up a big fight and it's a huge hassle. But with this now, he just lays there and lets me do it. Takes me just a couple of minutes each week to get all their nails done. Used it on 9 pound Jelly last week for the first time and she didn't mind it at all either.

I will say though that the customer service isn't very good. It takes like two months to arrive in the mail and is not fully assembled and comes with terrible instructions. It took me forever to figure out how to get it assembled and was a huge frustration for me to figure out. But once you finally get it, it's a good product. I could use it right away on them with no fuss or fear. Mine is going on a year and still working great!

angeldogs January 4th, 2009 12:14 AM

That's one thing i liked about the pedi-paws.all i had to do was just add 2 C cell batteries and didn't have to wait for it to be sent to me.

Melinda January 4th, 2009 08:33 AM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;724429]Melinda , do you have the Peticure or the Petipaws ?[/QUOTE]
frenchy, I have the petipaws

mafiaprincess January 5th, 2009 02:40 PM

I have a dremel.. I've used it for 5 years. I'm pretty happy with it. People on some of the other forums have complained that the peticure and pedipaws weren't powerful enough for larger dogs, or at times strong enough to do more than one dog in a sitting.. I use mine for non dog purposes at times though.

Lise January 11th, 2009 10:01 AM

This was probably a freak accident,but I have a client with a wheaten who used one of these grinders and the hair around the nail somehow got caught.I'm not sure which one it was,but needless to say the dog was really terrified.

Chris21711 February 4th, 2009 11:34 AM

Last night we cut the Bassets' nails. Skip is easy, he knows there is a treat waiting for him, he would sell his own mother for a treat :laughing: Rebel is a basket case......so we thought on buying a Pedi-Paws to see if the experience is any better for him.....although I think not :rolleyes:

Question: Can they be bought in Pet supply stores or must they be ordered on-line? Also, Reb's nails are very thick and wide, would this tool be adequately strong enough.

ancientgirl February 4th, 2009 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;742932]
Question: Can they be bought in Pet supply stores or must they be ordered on-line? Also, Reb's nails are very thick and wide, would this tool be adequately strong enough.[/QUOTE]

I've seen these at CVS pharmacies. I don't know if they have those up there, and I think I've seen them at Petco. I know some people also use a Dremmel tool, which if you look at this it sort of is the same thing but not as expensive.:shrug: