Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Ask the Members (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   VIDEO FEATURE IS LIVE - Do members want to upload videos? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=55731)

marko August 22nd, 2008 02:24 PM

VIDEO FEATURE IS LIVE - Do members want to upload videos?

Dear members,

Just curious...I KNOW that everyone loves posting pics but what about videos?

We are considering adding an application that will allow members the ability to upload their own videos OR embed cute youtube videos.

But before we add it we want to see if members will use it.

Please reply here if you think this is a good idea and you'll make use of the application.

EDITED - We just added a poll to this thread.

many thanks as always!
Marko

rainbow August 22nd, 2008 02:33 PM

I vote YES YES YES :thumbs up

Even though I wouldn't personally use it as I don't have a video camera. :o Heck, I don't even have a digi cam and have to use a disposable :o .....that's why my pics are always so crappy. :laughing:

But I think it would be a great asset to those members that could make use of the feature. :thumbs up

breeze August 22nd, 2008 02:37 PM

YES YES YES....

as long as you tell us how to use it..

:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

and rainbow your pictures are not crapy.....

babymomma August 22nd, 2008 02:49 PM

I posted a Video earlier today. i didnt know we werent alloweed before:o sorry

breeze August 22nd, 2008 02:55 PM

oops I voted that I didn't have one.... I meant that I do have a video camera

rainbow August 22nd, 2008 02:59 PM

[QUOTE=babymomma;644875]I posted a Video earlier today. i didnt know we werent alloweed before:o sorry[/QUOTE]

You're allowed to post videos here so don't be sorry and it was cute. :thumbs up

Marko just wants to know if members would use the application if they enabled it here so you wouldn't have to use photobucket, etc. :)

aslan August 22nd, 2008 03:01 PM

i'm a yes, then i can send the ones from my phone.:D

rainbow August 22nd, 2008 03:01 PM

[QUOTE=breeze;644859]

and rainbow your pictures are not crapy.....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for trying to be nice :grouphug: but they really are. :o

BusterBoo August 22nd, 2008 03:03 PM

Definitely yes! It gets confusing (for us old folks) trying to get photobucket to work, so if there is an application on this board, that would be GREAT!:thumbs up

breeze August 22nd, 2008 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=rainbow;644890]Thanks for trying to be nice :grouphug: but they really are. :o[/QUOTE]

I can show you crappy if you want..and they won't be yours............!!!!!

breeze August 22nd, 2008 03:39 PM

I have a question Marko..
if you install the application, will it slow the site down for dial up users??

phoozles August 22nd, 2008 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=breeze;644921]I have a question Marko..
if you install the application, will it slow the site down for dial up users??[/QUOTE]

Please say no :pray: :laughing:

hazelrunpack August 22nd, 2008 10:53 PM

I'd upload video if I'm able...even if my connection is likely too slow for me to play it once it's uploaded. :rolleyes: :o

growler~GateKeeper August 23rd, 2008 12:20 AM

and believe me [I]everyone[/I] will want to see Hazelrunpack's videos :lovestruck: :dog:x8 :cloud9:

marko August 23rd, 2008 08:32 AM

[QUOTE=breeze;644921]I have a question Marko..
if you install the application, will it slow the site down for dial up users??[/QUOTE]

It's a good question breeze and it's why everything we try is a test.
My feeling is that it should not slow down the site too much.

thx!
marko

wdawson August 23rd, 2008 10:03 AM

i'll use it , sound like a good thing. but how big can the vids be in size? i find that some pics lose quality when resizing to 100k, would we need to use other software to edit to a certain length of time...say like 30 seconds max or something like that.

kathryn August 29th, 2008 04:56 PM

I prefer the embedding video idea. I have problems uploading videos to anything other then Youtube so any other idea wouldn't apply to me. But I would love to see others videos as well! So embedding > uploading directly to site

Guinness' mom September 17th, 2008 09:41 AM

yes yes yes...

want4rain September 17th, 2008 09:51 AM

would there be an indication icon on the thread viewable before opening it? so those with dial up could choose not to open it, right now its a.... paper clip that says there is an attachment of some sort, its just assumed at this point that its a picture or many.

-ashley

marko September 18th, 2008 10:02 AM

It would be a section integrated with the board...hoping to set it up in the next week or so. thx - M

marko September 28th, 2008 08:38 AM

Dave just upgraded the board yesterday and so sometime this week or next, once we feel everything is running smoothly, we will install this new feature as a test.

many thanks!
Marko

erykah1310 September 28th, 2008 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=marko;645246]It's a good question breeze and it's why everything we try is a test.
My feeling is that it should not slow down the site too much.

thx!
marko[/QUOTE]

If it doesnt slow things down too much I'm all for it, however I myself will never be able to watch one as I too am a dial upper.:wall: (not by choice but out of necessity lol)

Things that only slow the site down a little bit for you all, may be the world of a difference for us though.

I really hope it doesnt affect us though, I think video uploads are a great idear!:D

Schwinn October 12th, 2008 10:30 PM

Any update on this? Mrs. Schwinn is breaking her own "pictures of the girls" embargo, and has a video of Grace playing with Daisy she thinks everyone who thinks pitbulls are vicious should see.

marko October 13th, 2008 01:05 PM

Dave is away for the next few days, but he'll likely look into adding this next week. Sorry for the delay - Marko

marko November 14th, 2008 08:16 AM

We are currently testing a new video component and hope to make it live within a few days. Thanks everyone!

Marko

marko November 20th, 2008 03:15 PM

Dear members,

We are still testing the new video component, and ironing out the bugs - there's always bugs :yell:

Sorry for the delay...if any members have very small videos (under 10 megs)

We'd love to use a few of them as a test - If you'd like to help out you can send an under 10 meg video to pets(dot)ca@gmail (d o t)com using correct email formatting.

many thanks as always
Marko

BenMax November 20th, 2008 04:30 PM

Heck I can't even download pictures..

Diamondsmum November 29th, 2008 01:19 AM

wondering when video is gonna be "live" and if Marko you still need some to test :D

Mat&Murph November 29th, 2008 01:31 AM

I have vidoes taken off my camera. Not sure os file size though
Could try and email them

marko November 29th, 2008 04:56 AM

Actually for right now it's fine - we have loaded a few test videos.

Sorry for these delays. Between this and the redesign and the general maintenance, very little time.

Hope to have something live before Monday so members can start testing this out. As of this moment it looks real cool.

Thx all
Marko