Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet photography - Pet pictures (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   My new/old fish tank! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=77618)

Claudia36oh June 24th, 2011 11:11 PM

My new/old fish tank!

3 Attachment(s)
after lot's of thinking it's back up and finally has a few fish in it.

I have done a lot of water testing and I think the main problem was very hard water.

hazelrunpack June 24th, 2011 11:21 PM

Very pretty, Claudia! I love to watch fish but don't know much about keeping them. What's the last one you posted? The yellow-orange beauty?

growler~GateKeeper June 24th, 2011 11:26 PM

Love the no fishing sign :laughing:

hazelrunpack June 24th, 2011 11:34 PM

I was so busy admiring the color of the fish that I missed that! :laughing: Too cute!!

Claudia36oh June 25th, 2011 12:13 AM

That's a Gourami (sp) there is 2 gold (orange) and 2 blue ones and 10 tiger barbs..the no fishing sign is for hubby, he likes to try his baits out in the tank:laughing:

hazelrunpack June 25th, 2011 12:35 AM

I thought that looked like a Gourami but I've only ever seen blueish silver ones! The gold ones are even prettier! :lovestruck:

So does the sign work on hubby? If it does, I need to make NO MOWING signs for my gardens...since his retirement, he's been a little too zealous with the lawn mower. :o

Claudia36oh June 25th, 2011 01:09 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1015431]I thought that looked like a Gourami but I've only ever seen blueish silver ones! The gold ones are even prettier! :lovestruck:

So does the sign work on hubby? If it does, I need to make NO MOWING signs for my gardens...since his retirement, he's been a little too zealous with the lawn mower. :o[/QUOTE]

lol...no the sign don't work :D he still does it, I like the gold ones too also seen some red ones :lovestruck: gonna get some when the tank is up a little longer.

Dee-O-Gee June 26th, 2011 10:25 AM

Beautiful tank Claudia. Very colourful. It reminds me of the dentist's tank in Finding Nemo! :cloud9: :)

Ho-hum...I gotta get to doing the yearly cleaning on my tank too. Just gotta set a whole day aside for cleaning and wait 3 days for the tank to adjust. Can't seem to find that day though. :frustrated:

Claudia36oh June 26th, 2011 10:43 PM

Thanks, just hoping the water stays at it's levels...might have to go to distilled water if it don't.

I love my tank always have, just couldn't keep any fish alive:rolleyes:

Dee-O-Gee June 27th, 2011 08:50 PM

I use to use distilled water until I found a water conditioner you add to basic tap water. I keep a 2 gallon jug full of tap water & the conditioner next to the tank for topping up. I also use this stuff called Melafix once a week. It's a medicament that helps with waterborne disease. There are other water treatments I add but the water conditioner and Melafix work wonders. :thumbs up

So far (knock on wood), we have a Danio pushing 10 years and a pleco pushing 8! :eek:

How big is your tank Claudia?

Claudia36oh June 27th, 2011 10:41 PM

[QUOTE=klmccallum;1015695]I use to use distilled water until I found a water conditioner you add to basic tap water. I keep a 2 gallon jug full of tap water & the conditioner next to the tank for topping up. I also use this stuff called Melafix once a week. It's a medicament that helps with waterborne disease. There are other water treatments I add but the water conditioner and Melafix work wonders. :thumbs up

So far (knock on wood), we have a Danio pushing 10 years and a pleco pushing 8! :eek:

How big is your tank Claudia?[/QUOTE]

wow, that's a long time for a fish to live...it's a 20 gallon tank...never seen Melafix, might have to find it on the Internet.

I filled up 2 gallon jugs of tap water today to let them sit for a while, so far the water is OK, I also added the conditioner to the tank before I even got the new fish..no dead ones yet :thumbs up

Dee-O-Gee July 6th, 2011 09:59 PM

How are the fishies doing Claudia?

For my 20 gallon tank, I bought a filter system that's capacity is for 30-50 gallons. It really made a big difference having the larger size as far as keeping the water and rocks clean. :thumbs up

Claudia36oh July 6th, 2011 11:23 PM

[QUOTE=klmccallum;1016949]How are the fishies doing Claudia?

For my 20 gallon tank, I bought a filter system that's capacity is for 30-50 gallons. It really made a big difference having the larger size as far as keeping the water and rocks clean. :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

Thanks there doing great, but I did have to go to distilled water.

Slowly added a gallon at a time and now my water is perfect for the last couple of days..even added a few more fishies..lol :thumbs up