Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Car Sick (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50651)

TinaMcq March 19th, 2008 06:34 PM

Car Sick

Hi!!! My family and I are driving up to Sudbury a 5 to 6 hour drive, my dog skipper who weights 18 lbs gets car sick and I mean wow eeewwww........I bring his food up a few hours before we go out and I gave him half a gravol tablet let him sit in the front and he still threw up. My question is can I give a dog that weighs 18 pound a full tablet and how can I help him not get sick in the car?

Lukka'sma March 19th, 2008 10:40 PM

I don't know about the gravol Tina, but I would ask the vet for something to settle him for the drive

rainbow March 20th, 2008 02:35 AM

I wouldn't feed him at all before you go. If you are leaving in the morning don't feed him after 10pm the night before. The dosage for dimenhydrinate (Gravol) is 2 mg to 4 mg per pound.

TinaMcq March 20th, 2008 05:22 AM

ty, I am planning on phoning the vet today, I gave him a half of one last sunday and he still got sick and it was a 20 minute drive I can just imagine a 5 to 6 hour drive.........

Kristin7 March 20th, 2008 06:07 AM

I can understand, I have a carsick dog too... he takes something called 'acepromazine'. Perhaps your dog would do well on that? also, Rainbow is right, don't feed your dog at all, give him dinner the night before and that is it. I'd also take away the water a couple hours before. Have you been on a long trip before with him? If not, it may happen that he will settle down after awhile. Mine falls asleep when we get on the highway for awhile. Although one time he did get up to puke, turned out he had to poop... so you might want to stop every now and then and walk him. also, if you can, put him in a crate, if he is used to one, he'll feel safer in there, and the puke will be contained. :yuck:

Shabby March 20th, 2008 06:16 AM

One of my two Shepherds has been prone to car sickness since she was a Pup and has never outgrown it, so I know what you're dealing with. Even on the 20 minute drive (one way) to the vet, she barfs in the car.

Over the past 6 years, I've learned NOT to feed her before ANY car trips!

Gravol doesn't work for her either, but our vet used to provide a "tablet" sedative when going on long trips.

Your best bet is to call your vet and ask what to do for this long trip.

Good luck.

aslan March 20th, 2008 06:20 AM

I used to get car sick when I was little, Gravol did nothing for me. I used to have to take a pill called Dramamine. Or try those plastic strips that hang down from your bumper to the road. Poor puppy is picking up electricity from the road causing motion sickness.

allymack March 20th, 2008 08:05 AM

something that i heard (and have used) is giving him a ginger snap, it helps to calm their stomach and help it to not get sick. I guess its worth a try, or you could get a sedative from your vet.:shrug:

Kristin7 March 20th, 2008 09:19 AM

I have read that too, but never tried it (ginger snaps). My vet also recommended Dramamine for my dog but it didn't work. Dramamine has the same active ingredient as Gravol (dimenhydrinate) Only the Ace has worked and I only use it for long trips - which means short trips around town, like to the vet, I just have to hope he can make it, sometimes he does and sometimes not. Car sickness can also be caused by anxiety, rather than motion, and I think that is part of my dog's problem.

goldengal March 20th, 2008 03:21 PM

My Golden used to be sick every time we went anywhere over an hour's drive. I did give her ginger snaps, and they worked some of the time. I did some research and discovered that ginger is good for pregnant women who suffer nausea so I purchased some candied ginger from the health store, and have never looked back. I give Montana 2 or 3 pieces half an hour before our 2 hour drive to the lake, and she is fine. I have a feeling she might not require it any longer, but it has become habit to have her 'sick candy'.

TinaMcq March 26th, 2008 04:57 AM

Hi thank you all for your replies I did phone the vet and explained what was going on and she said to give skipper on full tablet a few hours before we go I did take his food up before I left for work and that was at 6:30 in the morning. He was fine the whole way didn't get sick once, hopefully it will stay that way......

Kristin7 March 26th, 2008 06:17 AM

That's great!! :thumbs up

Shabby March 26th, 2008 09:10 AM

Great news! Hope you continue to experience this success each time you need to travel.

Take care. :thumbs up